Author Topic: Unreal Engine 4 for ArchViz - Thoughts?  (Read 292786 times)

2016-06-03, 15:39:16
Reply #255

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I'd love to run this in real-time (even though it would be probably 5fps ;) ).

Do you guys know of any nice free UE demos? I only know of "Winter Chalet" (yes, I did find the snowmobile).

Just search marketplace, there's tons of them :- )
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-06-03, 15:55:36
Reply #256

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Oh, thanks, I haven't yet delved into the UE content.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-06-03, 17:12:11
Reply #257

rafpug

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Someone on the unreal engine forums is doing some test with ue4:

More info here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?107852-Environment-WIP-Forever

I have tried out Amazon lumberyard during my spare time and while it has realtime GI (doesn't have indirect shadows). It isn't the best to use due to it's limited material editor and file, texture and animation requirement hurdles for import. Documentation is not really fleshed out. Another thing is I have noticed a lot of ppl are not using it. that might not be best as a community is important for this engine to strive. The devs have however been really up and doing . I am not sure Cryengine is getting a lot of use since they changed their payment model
Unity has a new payment model in place which is really upsetting it's userbase.

Ue4 on the otherhand is a beast and lightmass seems to be doing quite well. It's realtime GI- Vxgi is still in development. UE4 is the it engine right now and the ease of importing 3d models, animations and textures is just dope. Let's all hope UE4 doesn't change theirs though there is something about Unreal Engine Enterprise.

impressive  -  the rendering time more or less for this type of image ?

2016-06-03, 17:46:39
Reply #258

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
I'd love to run this in real-time (even though it would be probably 5fps ;) ).

Do you guys know of any nice free UE demos? I only know of "Winter Chalet" (yes, I did find the snowmobile).

The artist says the scene currently runs on  ''50~70fps at 1080p on a gtx 980ti''. Hasn't been optimised yet. As for UE scene demos, u can try the kite demo. There is an animation sequence of it on youtube.

One hour. The grasses and trees use dynamic lighting in realtime.  U can check the link I posted to his thread on the unreal engine forums. He has posted some info on  his workflow and process.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-03, 18:06:12 by melviso »

2016-06-04, 08:15:47
Reply #260

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Now. What 'scool with ue4 is you can have baked and non-baked objects in the same scene. For exterior shot it's cool. The house is baked but the vegetation is not so light build times are very low. (there is no proper render time when it's real-time, but a lighting build time). Baking such vegetation is impossible anyway.

The guys at ue4arch are working on the Barcelona Pavilion and high-end vegetation. It looks very promising. Some sneak peaks here : https://twitter.com/ue4arch

2016-06-04, 08:45:47
Reply #261

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
By the way, in 4.12 they unlocked the 128x128 resolution limit on the cubemaps (hdri) and reflection probes.

-Added cinematic camera actor with real world camera settings
-sequencer replaced matinee. Much better tool to make movies

TON better reflections, especially with the planar reflection actor. Thanks Unreal Engine Enterprise.

This is the beginning, now they have realised ue4 is not only about games.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-06, 20:34:52 by philippelamoureux »

2016-06-08, 18:54:36
Reply #262

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Since this thread appears to take a little breather, could anyone be bothered to give a little summary of the most reasonable workflow as it stands now? How do you go from Max/Corona to sharing your scene in an Oculus? I'm afraid I don't speak baking and lightmaps but I could learn if I knew the suggested steps. It would seem to me that the rendered environment in Corona is more realistic than Unreal, and I'm not keen on learning yet another material editor.

On the other hand some of my colleagues at work says I should forget all this and just use Enscape. Lol. I'm trying to figure out something in between.

2016-06-08, 19:43:44
Reply #263

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Doesn't matter. Still much faster than any 3ds max renderer.

2016-06-09, 03:33:41
Reply #264

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Another new game engine called Xenko:

http://xenko.com/

Kinda limited and its documentation is still being worked on. It's still in beta. Just wanted to post this in case anyone wants to  try it out.

2016-06-09, 06:20:21
Reply #265

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Doesn't matter. Still much faster than any 3ds max renderer.

Rendering aside, you know what's even more faster? The editor itself (viewport, etc). Speed of light compared to 3ds max. This is what keeps me trying to learn Unreal.

2016-06-09, 09:49:35
Reply #266

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes. It was the same with cryengine - even in 2007. So 8 or 9 years ago !!!  . An editor quite similar with 3ds max, inspired from it as an interface, so very easy for a 3ds max user to move into. But in 2007 had soft shadows, ambient occlusion (SSAO), POM (a form of optical displacement), depth of field with circle bokeh, or any shapes (with some tweaks), lots of post process effects - adjustable, a pretty realistic daylight lighting simulation, thin leaf vegetation sss like material. Vegetation dynamics, meaning vegetation would react to being touched, to wind, explosions and so on.
An easy to use track view editor. A node based editor similar with the new Max Creation Graph - used to do animations and logic based reaction.

A very basic mesh editor. A fun voxel sculpting tool.

A better looking wind animation of plants and leafs than the professional software used for nature at that time - e-on Vue.
And much more.

All these visible in real time in the viewport. Even motion blur. And all these in 2007 / 2008.
And it was so fast and smooth, every time I would switch to 3ds max (in 2007 through 2010 and later) I was so puzzled.

Imagine how it would be to have all that in 3ds max at that time. 3ds max doesn't have those not even now in the viewport. And probably not any time soon.

2016-06-17, 06:44:09
Reply #267

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Rafael Reis last ue4 architecture scene. I talked to him and he modeled all the background buildings himself, from photo reference. Looks so real. Materials are done with substance designer.

2016-06-20, 15:31:05
Reply #268

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Love it..
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-06-20, 16:12:33
Reply #269

yagi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
what does unreal engine run on....is it cpu or gpu based? im thinking of building a new system for the sake of unreal engine and i have to make sure i get the best hardware put together. any particular specs ?