• View Profile
just a laptop..

2016-08-15, 10:38:01
Reply #1

FORM32

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • FORM32 - Home
Hi @matrix! I just replied in my thread, and now see you have your own WIP one. As I said there - mine is nothing special. It's actually a free model available on Model+Model. It's just a plane with the clock background which I gave some self illumination, and a glass geometry with basic thin glass material as there was no need for any refraction.

I think a big part of it will be getting a nice studio lighting set up to give some highlights to make your model "pop" as they say. Or if you want it in a more regular scene you could take a look at Maxime Roz. He has some really nice  interior HDRIs, both free and another very reasonably priced pack there. The quality of them is excellent, and you'll get some really nice lighting for your scene.
Store Page - FORM32 Gumroad

Free Oak Texture - Link

2016-08-16, 06:11:04
Reply #2

@matrix

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey @FORM32 thanks for the response! yea interesting, i actually just decided to not use a glass screen at all in this image it was just making the ''google'' plane look really weird even with self illum on. I think the problem really is my lighting, I need to work on that for sure. Got any tips or resources i can check out for this so called "studio lighting" haha?

2016-08-16, 15:08:26
Reply #3

FORM32

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • FORM32 - Home
Haha well a studio lighting set up is just very controlled and deliberate lighting.. Think of Apple's product renders They use the lighting to accentuate the key features of the design, like that sharp edge in the Macbook example, and that slight curve in the lid.

Basically, you just want to get some nice highlights on things like the keys and edge of your laptop and a bit more contrast. Even if the idea is to have more of an everyday render of a laptop instead of a really slick studio render, it's still good to get some nice highlights in there.

Store Page - FORM32 Gumroad

Free Oak Texture - Link