Author Topic: Critique this  (Read 2770 times)

2016-01-24, 22:11:50

@matrix

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey everyone, 
I am a complete beginner I just got 3dsmax about 2 months ago. I had some prior experience modeling in Blender but thats it.
Ive been using corona alot, I am really impressed with it so far. It seems to give a realistic look without much effort.  I think my renders still have a cg feel to them, almost like they are from a pixar animated film.. my goal is to have my renders look like the images from the gallery on the Corona product website. Obviously i've still got some ways to go!

Any advice or tips greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2016-01-25, 01:17:15
Reply #1

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Any advice or tips greatly appreciated
Well first of all this is a subforum for finished work, threads like this belong into /Gallery/Wip
Don't name your threads "Critique this" since by this standart every single thread in that subforum would be called that ;]
Call it by whats in the scene. (So if it's automotive, ppl who don't understand automotive wont critique and ppl who know automotive will see it and help)

Well, the camera does not tell much about lighting, it does not reveal enough of the room.
This scene's main weakness is textures. The night stand has stretched UVs and looks bad because of it.
The floor and rug textures are hooribly to low res. if it tiles, tile it, if not replace it. Also it's too big. Then it lacks reflections and the normal map is too strong.
Since you called the file night stand and only show it: I take it, it's kinda of a product render or main focus is on the night stand? If yes, then light it properly, not by a window but a 3 point setup to make the main object look fancy and pleasing to the eye.

It looks like the handles are just textures. This is a big nono! It wont cast shadows or act realisticly. These details have to be geometry, or the scene will retain the cg look.

Many more things, but let's keep it to the main ones for now.
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2016-01-25, 02:01:26
Reply #2

@matrix

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@SairesArt
Thanks for the insight. Funny thing is the handles actually are geometry lol I think they just dont protrude enough from the night stand and the lack of lighting doesnt help it. Will make use of your tips :]

2016-01-25, 09:29:22
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Well first of all this is a subforum for finished work, threads like this belong into /Gallery/Wip
Don't name your threads "Critique this" since by this standart every single thread in that subforum would be called that ;]
Call it by whats in the scene. (So if it's automotive, ppl who don't understand automotive wont critique and ppl who know automotive will see it and help)

With users like that, who needs moderators? :] Thumbs up!
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures