Author Topic: Combine Glass and Metal materials without effecting the amount of light  (Read 2771 times)

2018-04-28, 12:21:25

OccultMonk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I want to combine a glass material with a metal material. I tried combining them in a single material and a layered material. But the metal keeps subtracting lighting information (as it should physically). But I want to 'fake' it so that the amount of light passing through is not affected by the metal material. I want to use the metal material in combination with a fresnel to make the glass more metal-like near the edges. I am mainly using HDRI lighting (so it's indirect light)

2018-04-29, 08:09:06
Reply #1

OccultMonk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just to clarify a bit, I want an oily almost metal like glass especially at glancing angles (Fresnel). Almost like mirror sunglasses, but less intense. But I want all the light to pass through (so not physically correct).

2018-04-29, 09:13:15
Reply #2

HVB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I hope i understand correctly what you want. But try putting your material in a rayswitcher material in all slots except the GI slot. Put a normal glass material in that one.

2018-05-03, 20:40:39
Reply #3

OccultMonk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I hope i understand correctly what you want. But try putting your material in a rayswitcher material in all slots except the GI slot. Put a normal glass material in that one.

Thanks, but I tried that and as far as I can tell I will not have HDRI reflections in the metal. I need the HDRI to reflect in the metal but, let all the light through. I tried a second mesh shell for the metal on top with an opacity channel of the glass mesh, but this also does not seem to work. Eventually, I turned off shadow casting for the whole object and that kind of works good enough.

2018-05-03, 22:36:12
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Is this what you need? The left object has "fake" material applied, the right one has "glass" material applied - both casts identical shadows.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-05-04, 08:26:48
Reply #5

HVB

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Thanks, but I tried that and as far as I can tell I will not have HDRI reflections in the metal. I need the HDRI to reflect in the metal but, let all the light through. I tried a second mesh shell for the metal on top with an opacity channel of the glass mesh, but this also does not seem to work. Eventually, I turned off shadow casting for the whole object and that kind of works good enough.

Can you show us how you set up that material. Because I still think you should do this with a ray switcher material. Just tried it out and for me it works perfectly.

2018-05-15, 17:56:03
Reply #6

OccultMonk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is this what you need? The left object has "fake" material applied, the right one has "glass" material applied - both casts identical shadows.

Thanks, that works quite nicely.