Author Topic: Interactive rendering at a lower resolution & 2x upscaled.  (Read 8524 times)

2018-05-25, 09:11:53

OccultMonk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would like to render interactively at for example at 1/2 the resolution but 2x upscaled. That would mean effectively 1/4 of the number of pixels that need to be rendered by corona. Since the size of the IR VFB floating window remains the same in that case. I have a 4K display so renders tend to become small.

At this moment I can zoom in to effectively render at a reduced resolution but then I can only see part of the image since the floating IR window size remains the same.

2018-05-25, 09:55:00
Reply #1

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Not sure if this is what you'll looking for... But under the "Common" tab under 3ds Max render settings there is a dropdown menu called "Area to Render". There you can use options like blow up and such... It works with the IPR too.

Again though, not sure thats what you are looking for :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2018-05-25, 10:33:42
Reply #2

OccultMonk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks, I will try that. But I would also like to be able to render with 1/2 the resolution and 2x upscaled (effectively the same size viewport but 1/4 the pixels) in the floating IR VFB viewport.

2018-05-25, 14:22:32
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
You can just zoom in, in the VFB. It won't do any upscale pixel smoothing, but you can render at a small resolution and zoom in.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-05-25, 15:16:46
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
You can just zoom in, in the VFB. It won't do any upscale pixel smoothing, but you can render at a small resolution and zoom in.

He writes that :- ) But then he doesn't see the full result.

At this moment I can zoom in to effectively render at a reduced resolution

It's a valid concern but not good solution. Imho we should get the nVidia instant denoiser on GPU. Interactive sorely needs it.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-05-25, 16:19:05
Reply #5

OccultMonk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So basically there is no way to render IR at 1/2 - 1/4 of the resolution upscaled to full size? With some proper advanced filtering, this would indeed work even better. I am already happy if I can just render at lower res but fully scaled like Adobe After Effects. This works great for IR, because you do not need quality as much as speed, and for 4K displays, things get tiny fast. (I hate upscaling windows, I am happy with 100% at 32") But for IR VFB it is a bit small.

2018-05-25, 16:50:59
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Windows magnifier? ;]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-05-25, 17:36:15
Reply #7

OccultMonk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That would be a horrible solution :-). Any form of native Windows scaling solution does not work for this. Very cumbersome.

Please just add a selection box with render at 50%, 25% like Adobe AE.

2018-05-25, 17:42:56
Reply #8

OccultMonk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Also, that suggestion about Nvidia filters would be great. Some sort of AI denoising function afterward :-) But just lower res rendering + simple upsampling is good enough for now.

2018-05-25, 21:14:07
Reply #9

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
100% at 32"

Wow, you have good eye-sight :- ). I run 125 at 32"/4k but only because I like real-estate, 150" would feel nicer :- (.

Check the nVidia denoiser, it's seriously instant, your interactive viewport quickly renders 5-10 passed and then it gives you denoised result but keeps improving that same denoised result as more passes comes in.
It's absolutely genial. It makes interactive rendering to be actually interactive.

Vray already has it. Now we need it too.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-05-26, 08:13:09
Reply #10

OccultMonk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
100% at 32"

Check the nVidia denoiser, it's seriously instant, your interactive viewport quickly renders 5-10 passed and then it gives you denoised result but keeps improving that same denoised result as more passes comes in.
It's absolutely genial. It makes interactive rendering to be actually interactive.

Yes (Render at 50% 25% resolution + good upscale algorithm + NVidia denoiser. = far better/faster Interactive rendering.

Please also look at Octane 4, has an AI denoiser that works amazingly. I know Octane render is a GPU renderer, but the denoising pass is in post.

2019-05-06, 21:41:05
Reply #11

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
this will be released in daily builds soon
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)