Author Topic: Help for exhaust pipe´s material  (Read 7801 times)

2018-01-11, 09:48:18

INgenia

• Active Users
  • I only know that I know nothing
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,
I am practicing whith advanced metal materials, and I have not be able to do the mat on exhaust pipe, not the chrome,  this orange, blue, dirty.......waves, at the first middle of this one.
I have thried with thinfilm (siger shaders) but I don´t like the obtained.

Any advice ? thanks
« Last Edit: 2018-01-11, 09:58:43 by INgenia »

2018-01-11, 09:53:25
Reply #1

wilbertvandenbroek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My first thought were the siger shaders, but you've already tried those. How does it look? I'm also curious to know how to achieve such a result.

2018-01-11, 11:12:40
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
ThinFilm should be exactly the right tool to replicate this phenomena. Could you show your result and ThinFilm settings?

EDIT: attaching some quick test and ThinFilm settings.
« Last Edit: 2018-01-11, 11:31:44 by romullus »
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-01-11, 13:09:32
Reply #3

INgenia

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi again.
and thanks for the help.
this is my test.
how did you do the gradient Romullus? I have applied a Mix but not like you.......

2018-01-11, 14:54:25
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
It was just simple gradient (black-white-black) mixed with noise in CoronaMixMap. Nothing fancy really. I think you could get better results by painting mask manually.

2018-01-11, 15:11:32
Reply #5

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The thing is that the heat 'tint' will stay in place, while ThinFilm will be view dependent. I've used it in the past for the same effect but later realized it will turn out differently for different POV, might not be ideal in all cases.

2018-01-11, 16:58:25
Reply #6

INgenia

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks again. I love learn each day something new.
I think is imporving bit a bit ;)

2018-01-11, 17:39:01
Reply #7

INgenia

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Another challenge, the brake disc used.
It is easy to do the radial lines and etc, but, it is hard to do the shiny zone where only touch the brake ........

2018-01-11, 19:52:17
Reply #8

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
The thing is that the heat 'tint' will stay in place, while ThinFilm will be view dependent. I've used it in the past for the same effect but later realized it will turn out differently for different POV, might not be ideal in all cases.

I'm not an expert, but i think it's the same phenomena and if you would look closely, you probably could see slight colour shifting in real world oxidized metal. And of course nothing prevents from tweaking thinfilm map so it wouldn't shift colours that much depending on viewing angle. Attaching link to quick video, that rendered while i was having a lunch. I think it looks pretty good in motion.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m7d5zxilkj0vcc2/thinfilm%20test.avi?dl=0

2018-01-11, 20:39:04
Reply #9

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That looks very good indeed. No further nitpicking ;)
FWIW, usually it's really 'baked in' into the material as the heat changes the physical properties of the material and it keep its tint on viewing angle changes. Also, the blue/red areas have less reflection and are not as glossy, using a LayerMtl is probably a good approach for these areas. I wish I could show of the references I have here from airplanes (the metal plates on the engines' rear end get a LOT of heat) but I can't... I guess there'll be plenty of examples on the net.

2018-01-11, 21:05:44
Reply #10

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think is imporving bit a bit ;)
This effect should be more visible first near motor there more heat
« Last Edit: 2018-01-11, 21:17:56 by sprayer »

2018-01-11, 22:00:18
Reply #11

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here is my contribution to the material exercise...

My method doesn't use thin film but instead uses a gradient ramp with pulled color values from a steel coloring tempering chart I found through my research. I then changed the gradient type to mapped, added a grunge map and then CoronaMixed it with a gradient map set to Multiply so it that goes darker from the beginning of the tail pipe to lighter at the end.

2018-01-11, 23:46:19
Reply #12

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That chart is great! That will be useful, thanks!

2018-01-11, 23:57:10
Reply #13

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
Here is my contribution to the material exercise...

My method doesn't use thin film but instead uses a gradient ramp with pulled color values from a steel coloring tempering chart I found through my research. I then changed the gradient type to mapped, added a grunge map and then CoronaMixed it with a gradient map set to Multiply so it that goes darker from the beginning of the tail pipe to lighter at the end.

One step further to make that shader PBR compliant is to break out the various components that make up the surface into a layered material for more complexity. Your base material should be the pure chrome metal with 0 (black) diffuse. Your next layer will then be the oxidisation/discolourisation material which is also a metallic material (black diffuse) with a lower glossiness value than the chrome and gets blended based on a grunge/falloff map. The final layer is your dirt layer with the dark grey colour for diffuse and a reflection colour of white and a very low glossiness value.

2018-01-12, 10:58:28
Reply #14

INgenia

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wonderful people and wonderful tricks. Thanks everyone.
The exhaust pipe has improved considerably, attached you can see.

Today I would like to improve the brake disc and the wheel. It is easy to make the disc, procedural or with a map .... In this case I have used a map ..............
But the idea is an used disk, like in the photo. Where this shows the clean area where you press the disk and two dirty areas where it does not touch.
And of course an used, dirty rubber......

Talk later
best day