Author Topic: Disable Cast Shadows and GI for 'Fake' Floating geometry  (Read 5453 times)

2017-01-19, 09:58:40

OccultMonk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have read that disabling cast shadows on an object now uses CoronaRaySwitchMtl. But on floating geometry that I use for small details, It does not appear to be working.

https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000516723-how-to-disable-shadow-casting-of-an-object-

https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000529341

2017-01-19, 10:12:31
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Could you show result you're getting and your material setup? It should work as described in those articles. Maybe it's ambient occlusion that's messing things up?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-01-19, 10:47:19
Reply #2

OccultMonk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The top floating geometry is using the CoronaRaySwitchMtl Directly (Not the XREF Mat). Cast shadows is off for all floating geometry.

2017-01-19, 21:22:45
Reply #3

OccultMonk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong here? It does not seem to matter if I Disable shadow casting of objects. Shouldn't it automatically apply the CorronaRaySwitchMtl? I tried manually applying it, but for this geometry, it does not work. Could it be these meshes have no back faces?

Does anyone know how to best render 'faked' floating geometry?
« Last Edit: 2017-01-19, 21:26:11 by OccultMonk »

2017-01-19, 21:40:24
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Maybe it's some kind of bug with xref geometry or xref materials. Could you try to convert your meshes to regular geometry and see if that helps?

2017-01-19, 22:06:50
Reply #5

OccultMonk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
They are normal meshes, and I am not using the xref material on the top floating geometry pieces.

2017-01-20, 08:33:17
Reply #6

OccultMonk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is there no information about rendering floating geometry in Corona? It's a widely used technique to add smaller details, wich are almost impossible to model otherwise. Like small beveled indentations or indentations for screws.

2017-01-20, 10:18:41
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
You should be able to simply right-click on the object > object properties, and disable "cast shadows". If it does not work either, then maybe what we see is actually a reflection?
Could you share this scene with us? If not this one, then maybe a different, very simple one, where the problem is visible? It seems to work fine here (Corona 1.5.2):
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-01-20, 10:25:02
Reply #8

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
It works here too.

2017-01-27, 13:15:51
Reply #9

OccultMonk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the answers!

Maybe a bug in the latest version? I am using the newest Daily Build.

I will try to find what the problem is.
« Last Edit: 2017-01-27, 13:57:37 by OccultMonk »

2017-01-27, 21:46:06
Reply #10

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi OccultMonk. Tested it with latest daily on maxdesign2014, and everything works as expected.

There is however one thing to notice: Objects using a Rayswitch Material, will cast shadows when the "GI" slot isn't empty, no matter if "cast shadow" in object properties is checked or unchecked. I believe this is what you experienced.

So keep it simple, and use either Rayswitch OR object properties - NOT both at the same time!

NB - When unchecking "cast shadow", the object is rendered AS IF it was using a Rayswitch Material - but Corona doesn't actually apply a Rayswitch Material to the object.

Hope it helps