Author Topic: Red tint in the Kelvin temp interface  (Read 1002 times)

2023-09-29, 14:38:40

DKulakov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Kelvin temp window working wrong.

2023-09-29, 14:44:48
Reply #1

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

What do you mean it is not working/working wrong? I am not sure I understand the issue you are having.

Kelvin temp is working only with numeric input in the respective field. You cannot pick a color for Kelvin temp. The displayed color next to the kelvin temperature is the resulting color, after settings the Kelvin value.

For the other color slot, you can have any input you want. If you want the color field to be exactly of, say, 4000 kelvin, you need to use the Kelvin temperature slider in Corona Color Picker.
See attached.
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2023-09-29, 14:47:03
Reply #2

DKulakov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The light temperature is 4000, the white balance is 4000, and the walls are pink

2023-09-29, 14:58:31
Reply #3

davetwo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Stupid question possibly - but why would you want to add a light with colour temperatiure, and then cancel it out in the post processing?
Why not just use a simple white light if thats the look you want?

2023-09-29, 15:01:24
Reply #4

DKulakov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is just an example. All the color set in the kelvin window has a pink tint.
Usually there are lamps with different light temperatures in the scene. It is convenient to set the temperature in kelvins.
The main thing is that in one place Kelvins are without a pink hue. And in the other - with pink.

2023-09-29, 15:45:06
Reply #5

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thats interesting, I get the same result. Always the green channel is slightly lower than the red/blue. When I did the same test in vray all colors are aligned 1:1.

Scene
White wall
1 Light - 4000 kelvin
White balance - 4000 kelvin

Attached VFB results Vray/Corona
« Last Edit: 2023-09-29, 16:02:24 by James Vella »

2023-09-29, 20:38:52
Reply #6

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I highlighted this in 2018 https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=20622.0

Someone does answer it I think although I've not reread the thread.  I just gave up in the end because it makes no sense/I couldn't wrap my head around it at the time.  They should effectively cancel each other out to neutral imo.

2023-10-02, 07:55:41
Reply #7

DKulakov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I highlighted this in 2018 https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=20622.0

Someone does answer it I think although I've not reread the thread.  I just gave up in the end because it makes no sense/I couldn't wrap my head around it at the time.  They should effectively cancel each other out to neutral imo.

Have the developers not fixed this since 2018???
Very very sorry.

2023-10-04, 16:50:26
Reply #8

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Duplicate to: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=15026

Explanation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminant_D65#Why_6504_K.3F

Note: we still have this reported. If it is a serious problem for big number of users, we will try to elevate it.
Simple "workaround" is to use Color mode in CoronaLight and set it to 6500 using CoronaColorPicker.

2023-10-05, 10:26:15
Reply #9

DKulakov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The problem is not that the color in kelvins has some tint. The problem is that the white balance with the same value does not compensate for this tint! As a result, images with the correct white balance value have an unpleasant pink tint.
The solution is to enter the color temperature value in the Direct input menu. But it's inconvenient.
Please fix this problem.

2023-10-05, 12:04:31
Reply #10

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The problem is not that the color in kelvins has some tint. The problem is that the white balance with the same value does not compensate for this tint! As a result, images with the correct white balance value have an unpleasant pink tint.
The solution is to enter the color temperature value in the Direct input menu. But it's inconvenient.
Please fix this problem.

As mentioned in the explanation above, that is because 6500 in temperature mode for CoronaLight is not quite 6500 but a bit higher, ~ 6504.
You have shown the screenshot perfectly - if the color is set in Color mode and X kelvin in CoronaColorPicker, X white balance in tone mapping will zero it out.

Have you tried setting the white balance to around 6504 in tone mapping, with temperature mode?
I am interested if that will result in full grey render.

2023-10-05, 12:34:55
Reply #11

DKulakov

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Have you tried setting the white balance to around 6504 in tone mapping, with temperature mode?
I am interested if that will result in full grey render.
[/quote]

With any white balance, the imbalance remains %(

It seems to me that the theory of color formation in the Kelvin temp menu should not break the logic of white balance. If the light has a temperature of 4000 (or any other) and the white balance has the same value, then the white on the render should be white or gray. So in life.