Author Topic: Blue Noise Dithering & New Secondary Light Solver  (Read 3054 times)

2020-05-20, 01:40:01

vblackrender.

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey,

are there more informations at the moment about "blue noise dithering", maybe some before after examples? :D

Or is it to early at the moment? The roadmap says, that it is already finished. I am very excited about this!

What can we expect, for example "1pass" will look like 5-10passes noise in the previous versions of corona?

I am also very excited about the upcoming "new secondary light solver"!

What kind of speed improvement can we expect and are there more informations, how you will achieve a more flickernes result, compared to "flicker-free animation" preset in the uhd cache? Will this new light solver be 100% flickerfree safe in every situation?

2020-05-20, 10:00:28
Reply #1

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The noise is much more evenly distributed across the image, making it less noticeable

2020-05-20, 10:40:46
Reply #2

Ink Visual

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2020-05-20, 10:49:09
Reply #3

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
What kind of speed improvement can we expect and are there more informations, how you will achieve a more flickernes result, compared to "flicker-free animation" preset in the uhd cache? Will this new light solver be 100% flickerfree safe in every situation?

If I recall correctly the V-Ray's updated Light Cache (which Corona is based on I presume) solves the flickering by using the new "hash map" type instead of the older "KD tree".

Can't find the comparison video right now but it was in one of Vlado's presentation I think.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2020-05-20, 13:06:37
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

If I recall correctly the V-Ray's updated Light Cache (which Corona is based on I presume) solves the flickering by using the new "hash map" type instead of the older "KD tree".

Can't find the comparison video right now but it was in one of Vlado's presentation I think.

That's the 4K Cache, not the blue noise dithering :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2020-05-20, 15:40:12
Reply #5

vblackrender.

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The noise is much more evenly distributed across the image, making it less noticeable

Thank you much for your comment!

I think you can check out comparisons at the bottom of the following topic: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=26830.0

Here they are:
https://corona-renderer.com/comparer/SA0Yk5
https://corona-renderer.com/comparer/qJ9rGu

I have checked the samples, looks very promising. Thank you!

Very interesting! I have found this on vimeo

2020-05-20, 15:43:16
Reply #6

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
@Tom
Hehe, hence why I quoted only only the flickering part of the question from the OP. Blue noise dithering is a completely different thing yup!

@vblackrender.
I think there should be another comparison video in a sci-fi corridor where there is a direct comparison between the two modes. The hash map had clear advantages flickering wise.

One thing I am worried about and also a bit unclear about is how will the Light Cache affect bump maps? It's said on the V-Ray helpdesk that LC doesn't exactly do things properly when it comes to bump maps. Not sure what that is about as I haven't used V-Ray in a couple of years now.

2020-05-27, 13:15:15
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Blue noise dithering - it is an improvement compared to the current sampler especially at the beginning of rendering. The benefit will be mostly visible in quick drafts, IR, and when denoising is used (since the noise pattern will be "easier" for the denoiser to deal with).

4K Cache - it is better than the current UHD Cache in some scenarios, the biggest benefit is non-changing pattern in case of re-rendering the same frame, or rendering on multiple computers. Most probably it will not replace the UHD Cache, it will be just another secondary GI solver.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-05-27, 15:02:03
Reply #8

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
That is great to know, thank you for the reply Maru!