Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] Daily Builds

Chaos Scatter Edge Trimming Playground!

<< < (6/13) > >>

Basshunter:

--- Quote from: maru on 2022-10-01, 15:23:42 ---It considers the pivot of the element, not its bounding box. So any element whose pivot is outside of the defined area will disappear (grass blade growing on a plane will be visible, grass blade growing outside of plane will disappear). We may consider the bounding box or or other methods of trimming in future versions too.

--- End quote ---

The problem I see with this method is that in many cases it won't give us the desired result. As long as the pivot point of a element is inside the scattering area, the tool won't delete that element.

I think that having an additional option to use some objects from the scene (like the sidewalk) as the "trimmers" would be a better solution than just relying on the pivot of the elements.

LorenzoS:

--- Quote from: aaouviz on 2022-10-01, 18:05:43 ---
--- Quote from: LorenzoS on 2022-10-01, 17:10:28 ---
--- Quote ---It considers the pivot of the element, not its bounding box. So any element whose pivot is outside of the defined area will disappear
--- End quote ---

Isn't this the normal behavior of chaoscatter?
You don't need Chaos Scatter Edge Trimming for that.

--- End quote ---

No, it is not.

I know it take a tiny bit of getting used to... to explain:

Scatter places OBJECTS on a surface.

An object can have multiple ELEMENTS inside of it.

Scatter with edge trimming on removes the ELEMENTS of each object outside of the desired bounds.

Again, check my screenshot of the cubes scattered. See how some cubes are removed?

Sorry to reduce it in such a simple manner, but hopefully this has helped.

--- End quote ---

Now i undesrstand what Chaos Scatter Edge Trimming do.
thanks aaouviz

romullus:

--- Quote from: Basshunter on 2022-10-01, 18:08:24 ---The problem I see with this method is that in many cases it won't give us the desired result. As long as the pivot point of a element is inside the scattering area, the tool won't delete that element.

I think that having an additional option to use some objects from the scene (like the sidewalk) as the "trimmers" would be a better solution than just relying on the pivot of the elements.

--- End quote ---

Don't forget that element's pivot point is at its selection center, not at its base, so in your example those marked blades would be trimmed by the scatter. I'd suggest to actually try the feature and see if it really fails in most practical scenarios. In my opinion, which is based on short testing, current implementation works great and might be even superior over bounding box detection.

rowmanns:

--- Quote from: romullus on 2022-10-01, 14:51:33 ---Bug report - edge trimming isn't working if plugged through Corona select texmap.

--- End quote ---
Hi,

Thanks for reporting this :)

Rowan

(Internal ID=973671157)

Frood:
Some thoughts about trimming:

Would it not be possible to handle ChaosScatterEdgeTrimming internally? Looks like even this setup

OpacityMap -> ForestEdge -> ChaosScatterEdgeTrimming -> MaterialOpacitySlot

works. A ChaosScatterEdgeTrimming map as first map in the opacity slot even handles assets prepared for ForestPack it seems - cool. And it offers the option to reuse already prepared assets of any kind without changes to the materials.

User friendly, simple and extremely advanced compared to ForestPack would be a solution which adds ChaosScatterEdgeTrimming internally at rendertime, triggered by a "Use edge trimming" switch in the scatter object. Just like rayswitch is used internally if you disable cast shadow or visible to camera in any objects properties.

Speaking as a long term user of ForestPackPro: The concept of a ChaosScatterEdgeTrimming map leads to the same issues as with ForestPro and its EdgeMap where you need some fancy scripts to prepare assets material  for trimming (there is the "Material Optimizer" in the "Forest Tools" which can at least add the edge map to materials of ForestPackPro objects). Usually, stuff you want to scatter has multisub materials with a lot of slots everywhere.

Additionally, you cannot quickly compare trimming on/off with ChaosScatter and there is not even a script/tool currently to add/remove the ChaosScatterEdgeTrimming map automatically. The minimum we need is an on/off toggle in the ChaosScatterEdgeTimming map to be able to switch edge trimming functionality by a one-liner script without changing material nodes for the moment and a utility to add ChaosScatterEdgeTrimming to materials.

Good Luck

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version