Author Topic: Chaos Corona 9 for 3ds Max - Daily Builds Discussion  (Read 42999 times)

2022-08-19, 10:45:43
Reply #30

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Fast interior tests - the clouds seem to cast shadows, the effect is quite significant!
I've noticed that to bo see changes in the shadows after every change of cloud parameters I have to reset IR.

I love the effect on the light/mood in the interior renders!

2022-08-19, 15:51:49
Reply #31

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
At the moment the clouds look great, I haven't tested them with interiors but in general using the available options you can get a sane result

The sun behaves strangely, disappearing and reappearing in front of and behind the clouds.

I think the most important point is that the Volume effect treats clouds like any other Hdri map, drawing a uniform fill strip along the horizon line. I would like these 2 effects to work together without limitation. (see the attachment)

I didn’t notice any dramatic performance drops, I didn’t measure the exact comparison, but it feels like everything is fast enough

Thank you guys for listening to us and adding clouds in this development iteration)

PS I already mentioned in another topic, but I will repeat here, while I was testing clouds on this scene with the sea, I noticed that the fisheye camera cannot be used normally with displacement, subdivision culling does not work correctly and right in front of the camera, displacement does not give the desired level of subdivisions. Given that you added DOF for the fisheye camera, can you please fix that too.

PPS I will additionally mention that I did not manage to achieve an acceptable look of an almost evenly overcast sky, as if there is always not enough range of parameters, for example, I would gladly set the cirrus amount to more than 1.0.

Similarly, it would be convenient to be able to slightly randomize the position of the clouds in height relative to each other, if you set the "Altitude" parameter to a sufficiently high value, then the repeatability becomes clearly noticeable

It would be cool to have access to the parameters of the cloud shading itself, (make them more transparent without changing the thickness for example, or slightly change the parameters for scattering in them) + I would like to have a greater variety of real-life cloud shapes.
As a result, from all these parameters it will be possible to form presets (low cloudy / rainy / cirrus, etc., which can be used by ordinary users who do not like to "play"
« Last Edit: 2022-08-19, 16:15:12 by marchik »

2022-08-19, 22:12:36
Reply #32

BardhylM

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
Wanted to thank the team for the good job on the new build with the clouds. It really adds to the customization of the scenes.

I tested it in simple scenes and I found out maybe a quirky thing happening. Yes, as some of the previous posters it was waaay to slow in IR when I turned on the clouds.
The thing is lately Ive been feeling like the IR was slow (with sun adjustments) and it was mentioned also in forum if I recall correctly, but I do not know if it was resolved.
And with these tests, even without clouds on I finally noticed that sun lags a lot while moving it, even without IR turned on. Many tests later I figured that the problem was somehow the "CoronaSky" map, more precisely the Sun Selection part.
Normally when the Sun is created, in the CoronaSky settings the Sun Selection option is on Manual on default and it selects automatically the created Sun.
In my tests when that option was on Manual but the Sun is not selected, and the option is "None", the lag is gone and the sun movement is very responsive. And the lighting of the sky is the same as it would be with the sun selected on Manual. This normally reduced the times on IR with the sky testing and also the cloud part. Yes it may me a little slower when you turn on the clouds, but not as it was with the problem above.

I do not know if it is a thing but it might be a good thing to check it!

-On how I "deleted" the selected sun (you can not clear the selected sun on Manual section), I just created a new sun on the scene, selected it manually and deleted it. It leaves the selection empty.

2022-08-19, 22:16:22
Reply #33

RecentSpacesSam

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey all,

I was curious what max version others are using on the latest daily build? I was hoping to test out the clouds but they don't seem to be rendering at all (unless I'm missing a trick here?)
Max 2022.3.3
Corona Daily 18 Aug 2022 - installed using "Unpack files" option and loaded in max via multi loader/.bat file

Steps taken:
Corona sun added to scene
"Add CoronaSky Environment"
Environment menu, right click map, Edit in SME
"Enabled Clouds"
Interactive render & production render - no clouds
All sky models tried
Automatic and manual sun selection tried

Seriously looking forward to being able to test this out!

2022-08-20, 03:01:09
Reply #34

somayrah

• Active Users
  • Less is more
    • View Profile
Wanted to thank the team for the good job on the new build with the clouds. It really adds to the customization of the scenes.

I tested it in simple scenes and I found out maybe a quirky thing happening. Yes, as some of the previous posters it was waaay to slow in IR when I turned on the clouds.
The thing is lately Ive been feeling like the IR was slow (with sun adjustments) and it was mentioned also in forum if I recall correctly, but I do not know if it was resolved.
And with these tests, even without clouds on I finally noticed that sun lags a lot while moving it, even without IR turned on. Many tests later I figured that the problem was somehow the "CoronaSky" map, more precisely the Sun Selection part.
Normally when the Sun is created, in the CoronaSky settings the Sun Selection option is on Manual on default and it selects automatically the created Sun.
In my tests when that option was on Manual but the Sun is not selected, and the option is "None", the lag is gone and the sun movement is very responsive. And the lighting of the sky is the same as it would be with the sun selected on Manual. This normally reduced the times on IR with the sky testing and also the cloud part. Yes it may me a little slower when you turn on the clouds, but not as it was with the problem above.

-On how I "deleted" the selected sun (you can not clear the selected sun on Manual section), I just created a new sun on the scene, selected it manually and deleted it. It leaves the selection empty.

I agreed with you regarding the bad performance when linking the sun with sky.
I tested with "non" and It works well but I think this need to fix in the future releases.

2022-08-20, 12:42:07
Reply #35

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Corona Daily 18 Aug 2022 - installed using "Unpack files" option and loaded in max via multi loader/.bat file

For those using multiloaders:
you have to copy "PrgCloudsModelData.dat" from the extracted installer files to \program files\corona\prgSkyModel"

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2022-08-21, 18:48:45
Reply #36

RecentSpacesSam

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Amazing. I'll give this a try tomorrow morning!

Is there any compatibility issues with the "old" PRG sky model when copying the .dat file over or does it just not get loaded by Corona 8?

Thanks for the tip!

2022-08-22, 18:18:23
Reply #37

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
That file does not even exist in earlier versions, so judge yourself :)

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2022-08-23, 23:16:58
Reply #38

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models

Thanks for sharing these findings! I just ran into the same issue where moving Corona sun was extremely slow and had to create new sky, because the sun can't be cleared from the selection box. Once that box is clear, everything is fast and responsive again. It would be nice if the devs could look into this issue and resolve it if possible for Corona 9.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-08-24, 16:23:10
Reply #39

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile

Hi,

Do you have the skymap in the 3ds max environment slot? It seems there is an issue where this causes some slowdowns right now.
I would advise to put the skymap into the Corona single map slot in the render setup for the time being.

Cheers,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2022-08-24, 16:43:12
Reply #40

BardhylM

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
Do you have the skymap in the 3ds max environment slot? It seems there is an issue where this causes some slowdowns right now.
I would advise to put the skymap into the Corona single map slot in the render setup for the time being.
Yes the map was on the Max's environment slot, I usually add it form sun setting button, for adding corona sky. But that may not be advisable for the time, as that seems to push that problem.
If you add the sky manually in the same slot (like romullus mentioned) it seems to work fine, also the same if you add it in the corona environment settings like you mentioned.
Maybe the problem is or starts with the option in the sun settings for adding corona sky environment.

Cheers

2022-08-27, 11:49:39
Reply #41

Philip kelly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Sketchrender
Good morning.
I am trying the new build on a max 2023 no updates on max. I have found it to be slow and the new clouds I have turned off, pretty as they are they completely slowed up rendering I found.
The usual, tried it  now can't go back on a project i am working on.
I found lots of issues with the project file also, and the material slots are crawling also.
Thank you for working on the daily builds, I am gratefull as I know they will be fixed eventually.

Phil
« Last Edit: 2022-08-27, 14:02:43 by Philip kelly »
Dell Precision T7910

2022-08-28, 13:53:07
Reply #42

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Not sure what " can't go back on a project i am working on." - do you mean you saved the project with Corona 9 daily? If so, never save an ongoing project with a daily without keeping a backup that uses the previous final release. Or do you mean that even after going back to an earlier Corona version and a scene properly saved with that earlier version, some things are now acting slowly?

For the clouds, would be interested to know your hardware and what you mean by "slowed up rendering" (a sample scene would be good) as we've found they have minimal impact on render times, especially with just a few clouds in the sky rather than a sky full of clouds, and the only slowness at present is the UI and moving the sun if the Corona Sky is in the Max Env Slot rather than in the Single Map slot of Corona.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-09-04, 20:54:26
Reply #43

las_Archviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
same here i can't download it because it says it doesnt exist

2022-09-05, 08:49:46
Reply #44

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
same here i can't download it because it says it doesnt exist

Hi,

I'm not sure what you are talking about here.. Can you provide some more info on what doesn't exist?

Cheers,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!