Author Topic: Juraj's Renderings thread  (Read 495640 times)

2023-07-06, 12:32:39
Reply #675

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
hi juraj congrats! i didnt find the 30 min video, where is it?

You can sort by name, it will show you both videos, the second video thumbnail doesn't have my face, but the graph. I don't know how to direct link from there, just weird page :- ).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2023-07-11, 10:58:24
Reply #676

mase

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hi juraj congrats! i didnt find the 30 min video, where is it?

You can sort by name, it will show you both videos, the second video thumbnail doesn't have my face, but the graph. I don't know how to direct link from there, just weird page :- ).

The second video is actually 17mins, not 30, so maybe that's why he couldn't find it :) but as Juraj has said it's down there, just need to scroll a bit.

2023-07-12, 11:45:29
Reply #677

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Sorry about that, maybe it was cut too much :- ). It was long time ago.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2023-07-20, 10:38:56
Reply #678

mase

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Seeing your video posted on Corona facebook page now (congrats by the way!), we started chatting with colleagues about Intel Xeon vs consumer grade processors for rendering with Corona. Although it seems that Xeon setups allow for many cores and fast rendering, over time the processors themselves depreciate significantly more than regular ones. They also require ECC ram and more expensive peripherals to go with it.

I know you might not be able to speak against it but it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the long-term pros/cons of server CPU workstation vs consumer grade CPU workstation (and let's say we're only comparing Intel ones for the sake of argument). And I'm interested in single workstation setup because probably there's no argument here when talking about render farm.

2023-07-26, 17:00:58
Reply #679

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Sorry for late reply, I am mostly travelling during summer this time and not behind any PC.

In short, Xeons-W and Threadrippers Pro (sadly only Pro exist in current generation, and the pricepoint is identical to Xeon-W) are worth it if the money isn't objection.
You primarily only get 2x multi-threaded performance and that's it for most people but that's still a lot. Even mainstream platforms are now capable of 192GB ram (4x48GB, recently introduced modules) and that's as much as most people need, although it's not easy to get it to run stable. Most people also don't need to run 4 GPUs anymore either. So it comes down to diminishing returns of paying more to get more.

Threadrippers 2xxx and 3xxx were the ultimate blend of both (performance and good-value, although my 3990X was already questionable at 4K per CPU) but sadly that's not available in current generation.

Right now, the highest core models from Xeon-W and Threadripper Pro are amazing workstations if the value proposition is sound for you.
Even I would hesitate to pay it though.. mainly because I am no longer really limited by multi-threaded performance. Majority of my work, is done slowly because I am slow person :- ).

Really, all about money. If I were a single artist, I would probably get the best (Xeon/Threadripper) each time. Likewise, if I were bigger studio with high margins (The Boundary, DBOX, etc..).
It's the in-between small studio where I would question who needs top-tier multi-threaded machine and who will get by absolutely fine with just using 13900K or 7950X. Because not everyone is primarily doing lot of rendering. Everyone who is primarily spending more of their time on editing some part of scene, or post-production, etc.. absolutely get mainstream platform only.

2023-08-02, 10:18:58
Reply #680

mase

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Interesting point of view, thanks a lot for sharing.

In particular I can relate to your comment on doing work other than rendering as well as actual rendering not being the longest task on the list (as opposed to modelling, texturing, post etc.). Having read some other posts and considering my budget I'm leaning towards 13900KS with 4x48GB RAM setup. Hopefully, plenty of memory will make this future-proof for at least 5 years or so and CPU will be able to stay relevant too.

2023-11-15, 18:08:14
Reply #681

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I've posted another project, completed before summer, but given the energy it takes, I'll post it in gallery here after weekend.
In meantime, check out the Behance for it: https://www.behance.net/gallery/184579865/Larose-Guyon-Lights

2023-11-21, 00:36:27
Reply #682

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great set of images, the contrast is quite effective. Did they provide the 3d models of all their products or did you have to recreate them as part of the work?

2023-11-21, 08:57:49
Reply #683

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Great set of images, the contrast is quite effective. Did they provide the 3d models of all their products or did you have to recreate them as part of the work?

Everything was modelled by us from scratch. Plugin called 'Catenary Spline' was used for correct chain shape, Scatter for the broken glass but otherwise just basic poly modelling.

2023-11-22, 17:32:21
Reply #684

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
We have 30perc. discount for all on Lysfaere shop, just use the code on IG, or 40perc. if you share the IG post and send us link :- ) We'll give you new another code.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cz8emx-Md-S/

2023-11-23, 09:33:22
Reply #685

mase

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Juraj,

nice of you to give such discounts on your lovely hdris, will definitely check them out! I remember you mentioning something about updating a demo hdri set that you have on your website. Have you had any luck on that, or is it still work in progress?

Either way, I can't wait to test them out - they look amazing!

2023-11-23, 12:44:56
Reply #686

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yes it was, it comes with matched cameras, Corona/Max scene. CoronaSelect Map to select from backplates and the backplate itself is mapped shadow-catcher to plane. Default workflow for quick consistent IR look is flat style, but can be quickly switched to composite style. I didn't make any tutorial yet... I will probably need to, in case someone tries to use both ACES tonemapper and the LUT, which would give like crazy over-done contrast :- ). The Corona scene stack hopefully doesn't reset for anyone.

In December we'll put new free set.
« Last Edit: 2023-11-23, 12:57:20 by Juraj »

2023-11-23, 17:12:16
Reply #687

mase

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great news :) would definitely love to see a tutorial on how to use these as most of us are probably tied to some specific tonemapping pipeline (which usually includes ACES OT or other agressive LUTs) so having these 2 work together would be interesting.

Also, always grateful for free content of such high quality. I was just looking at the hdri previews you have on your website and they all look very mesmerising. Well done.

2023-11-23, 17:35:25
Reply #688

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
For all rendering I've done with them, I used only HC=1.5 + supplied LUT, technically even the HC is not needed, since when we began developing the pipeline, the ACES OT tonemapper didn't exist :- ).
Without the LUT, any tonemapper can be used, including ACES OT. The LUT is simply for those who want to bypass part of post-production/color grading.

Rendering cars in dome is both super simple (it's just one HDRi lol) and super complex (so many possible options on what to render, all in one pass? or composite with alpha channel mask?...).
Maybe why it's such a sub-genre not usually done by generalists.

2023-11-28, 14:31:46
Reply #689

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Last chance for BF Sale today :- ) And big thanks to everyone who bought stuff over the weekend, after rather silent Friday it made up for it and it brings motivation!
https://www.instagram.com/lysfaere/

Also last time I am using this model, next set of images are using a sport car :- ). A Cabriolet even!