Author Topic: Scandinavian Apartment  (Read 27523 times)

2015-05-05, 22:25:23

Image Box Studios

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGE BOX STUDIOS
Hello Corona members. I am back with one new project. This time it is a Scandinavian Apartment. I hope, you will really enjoy these images. What do you think, please let me know.

C&c are welcome.
Thank you.

« Last Edit: 2015-05-06, 09:51:18 by Image Box Studio »

2015-05-05, 23:29:08
Reply #1

arrival

• Active Users
    • View Profile
not bad,but i think all of them are a little too bright.
I miss a little the atmosphere.

2015-05-05, 23:30:55
Reply #2

fLuppster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Its pretty perfect, I dont say this very often but maybe its a bit too bright. ;) Could you post the raw renderings?

2015-05-06, 00:33:56
Reply #3

AnubisMe

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2015-05-06, 00:46:34
Reply #4

Alexp

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I love your renders. Congratulations.

2015-05-06, 10:25:12
Reply #5

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Honestly, all these hipster apartments are starting to look so similar they are starting to blend together. They are all very well technically done, and very photorealistic, this one especially. But they are still basically same thing. Similar furniture, similar tricks.. furry blankets and sheets all over the place, pillows with random trying to be funny quotes, blackboards with chalk, framed paintings on the floor, wrinkled rugs, obscene stuff hanging on walls, messy beds, dirty mirrors, and every other of these works has either "scandinavian" or "loft" in their name.

It looks nice, regarding shading, lighting, photorealism, and high detail of assets, but i seriously hope someone will finally come up with a new trend that will take some time for everyone else to copy, because right now it seems to me as if i was looking at the very same pictures every day. This one especially, since it contains all of the Archviz stereotypes of 2013-2015 in one :)

2015-05-06, 10:48:19
Reply #6

Freakaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Website
Rawalanche has a good point, but it's somehow inevitable, as that "Scandinavian" style look is on the Hype at the moment not only in archviz, but also in the interior design. I've had few projects where the client requested those "furry blankets" and "random quote" pictures and mid century scandinavian furniture. Also a hell lot of 3d artists past few years takes inspiration from emmas.designblog, fantastic frank, paulina arcklin and other simmilar sites that contains a lot of references in this style. 

2015-05-06, 12:35:25
Reply #7

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
Very good renders indeed but...i found this carpet bit disturbing :D

Coronaut!(c)2011

Supporting Corona in commercial projects since pre-alpha

2015-05-06, 13:02:28
Reply #8

fLuppster

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2015-05-06, 13:52:53
Reply #9

Mr.Schorsch

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • fokuspunkt
Really good point Rawalanche

I, myself, am a victim of this style as well. But I totally agree with you, that this whole style is completely overused in Arch viz these days. The OP's images are  stunning in all parts ( technically, design, propping aso) but it is sad, that I am not able to cheer this images like I did with the images from Lasse Rode ( for example) from xoio or Bertrand Benoit some years ago. They lost their magic somehow. Another reason is, that you see the same props and furniture over and over again (I always include me in the critic as well). Free furniture from dimensiva, Model plus Model .....  And I have a question about the wrinkled carpet. Is it a freebie too. Because it feels like it is in tons of images. Again sorry OP... this is not against you... from my side on it is more agains our business environment.

Corona made great looking images pop up each and everywhere. Which is a great thing... on the other side I am stupifyed by all the prefect images. I am still trying to find my style or way to produce good and unique images but I always find myself using or even copying this style over and over again.... Help!!!!

Maybe it all looks always a bit to overdesigned. There are just design objekts... that turns the images to some kind of uncanny. I think that 90% of all the guys here in the forum can't even afford half of the design objects from most of the images.

So somehow this design style is just a better taste version of the " Russian Mafia guy Marble and Gold massacre" ( sorry to all the Russian guys out there.. this is a stupid stereotype I am using here)

... sorry for the long post...   so now your thoughts !?

2015-05-06, 15:37:44
Reply #10

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. Kind of funny that this debate comes up just a few hours after I saw these pictures first time (just after OP uploaded them), and had some thoughts about the style and interior design. At that time I especially wondered about the overly wrinkled carpets that seems to find its way into all arch viz interiors these days. In real life these carpets would be highly insecure - you'll stumble over them anytime you walk across the room - and none of the people I've ever visited who has the money to buy all this design stuff, would ever agree to have their home photographed with such messy carpets. Even though most of these carpets are 3D versions of expensive real world design, they look messy and cheap (to my at least) because of these overdone wrinkles.

I know why it's done this way, and I do these things myself. But sometimes it's simply necessary to think: why do I do this?

BTW - Really great pictures in all aspects + extra points added for these pictures ability to make us think about what we do and why we do it :)

Keep it up!

2015-05-06, 15:44:40
Reply #11

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
You guys are often over-thinking this debate. People should foremost do what they enjoy, regardless if someone else has done it thousand times.

Faux-scandi (because in 99perc. almost nothing is authentically scandinavian on the final look), Sunset Skyrise, Fansworth house. They're attractive themes people are attracted towards,
everyone wants to try it himself.

As long as you do it for your own enjoyment, nothing else matters. If you're doing it for...portfolio, that on other hand isn't the smartest thing. The single biggest attracting point for clients, is unique quality (as long as everything else is perfect).

they look messy and cheap (to my at least) because of these overdone wrinkles.

This should be a collection of CGI tropes :- ) Along with 'dirty' glossiness on everything possible for that "extra level of realism".
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-05-06, 15:58:29
Reply #12

Ricky Johnson

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Another reason is, that you see the same props and furniture over and over again (I always include me in the critic as well). Free furniture from dimensiva, Model plus Model .....  And I have a question about the wrinkled carpet. Is it a freebie too. Because it feels like it is in tons of images.

I think that the popularity of Marvelous Designer might be the culprit for the amount of wrinkled carpets in archviz of late. It's still difficult, in my experience at least, to get a natural looking fabric out of MD without a fair amount of draping, pulling and creasing going on. Neat things are not it's forte. Then you've gone to the trouble of stitching this thing together and unless you make it look like it's just been dragged across the floor by an animal you might just as well have poly-modelled it!

I agree that the over-use of certain objects (free or otherwise) is tiring to observe in visualisations and a particular style is becoming hackneyed. I could happily go through life without ever seeing another Eiffel Chair! (but then, I have the choice to look away :) )
It's almost 75% of what I judge as interesting in my opinion when I see a new visual - does it look as though anything's been selected and made from scratch.

Having said that, I don't think this set of images is a bad offender of this trend by any means. I might be out of touch with Model Plus Model's range of accessories and other suppliers but I think that a fair amount of the content in this scene is individually made, whether I like the style of it or not. Also, the visuals have been very well executed which is to be admired. I think that the timber elements of the furniture look a bit 'toasted' though to specifically comment on something.

2015-05-06, 16:07:08
Reply #13

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I did not intent to sound like this is not a good job. These pictures look really great and photorealistic. I mean, as a CG work, it's top notch. It's just that the content itself is being repeated so much that even if you see super high end photorealistic set of render that has great attention to detail, like this one, it does not awake any excitement because you have seen so many similar interior and furniture styles before.

2015-05-06, 17:25:54
Reply #14

Mr.Schorsch

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • fokuspunkt
First of all... I did the stuff with the overly wrinkled Carpet myself. So guilty in this case!! And again... the OP's images are really great.

Juraj, you are right. As long as you do it for your own amusement it does not matter what you are doing and who you are copying. But even the non commercial projects and/ or private projects find their way into the www. What I want to say is just, that these beautiful images (on their own) lose their beauty in the mass of clones. even if they aren't a cloned on purpose themselves.

Reinventing the wheel with every project is just not doable. But I hope it would be possible to invest an extra hour to think about a little something, that is new or different to the rest, to make images more unique and give them back their artist specific handwriting.

aaaaand back to the carpet.... it is fun to see, that in the moment that something is suddenly easy or with less technical afford doable, people start to overuse it for a while. (me included)
Of course, MD is a great tool and you can do crazy wrinkle stuff with it. But just because you can, doesn't mean you must... by all cost.

That is all I want to say.

Was it guthri or benoit who said that, if you like something very much (an effect or something) reduce it by 50% and it looks good and natural to every one.