Author Topic: Scandinavian Apartment  (Read 27689 times)

2015-05-05, 22:25:23

Image Box Studios

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGE BOX STUDIOS
Hello Corona members. I am back with one new project. This time it is a Scandinavian Apartment. I hope, you will really enjoy these images. What do you think, please let me know.

C&c are welcome.
Thank you.

« Last Edit: 2015-05-06, 09:51:18 by Image Box Studio »

2015-05-05, 23:29:08
Reply #1

arrival

• Active Users
    • View Profile
not bad,but i think all of them are a little too bright.
I miss a little the atmosphere.

2015-05-05, 23:30:55
Reply #2

fLuppster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Its pretty perfect, I dont say this very often but maybe its a bit too bright. ;) Could you post the raw renderings?

2015-05-06, 00:33:56
Reply #3

AnubisMe

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2015-05-06, 00:46:34
Reply #4

Alexp

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I love your renders. Congratulations.

2015-05-06, 10:25:12
Reply #5

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Honestly, all these hipster apartments are starting to look so similar they are starting to blend together. They are all very well technically done, and very photorealistic, this one especially. But they are still basically same thing. Similar furniture, similar tricks.. furry blankets and sheets all over the place, pillows with random trying to be funny quotes, blackboards with chalk, framed paintings on the floor, wrinkled rugs, obscene stuff hanging on walls, messy beds, dirty mirrors, and every other of these works has either "scandinavian" or "loft" in their name.

It looks nice, regarding shading, lighting, photorealism, and high detail of assets, but i seriously hope someone will finally come up with a new trend that will take some time for everyone else to copy, because right now it seems to me as if i was looking at the very same pictures every day. This one especially, since it contains all of the Archviz stereotypes of 2013-2015 in one :)

2015-05-06, 10:48:19
Reply #6

Freakaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Website
Rawalanche has a good point, but it's somehow inevitable, as that "Scandinavian" style look is on the Hype at the moment not only in archviz, but also in the interior design. I've had few projects where the client requested those "furry blankets" and "random quote" pictures and mid century scandinavian furniture. Also a hell lot of 3d artists past few years takes inspiration from emmas.designblog, fantastic frank, paulina arcklin and other simmilar sites that contains a lot of references in this style. 

2015-05-06, 12:35:25
Reply #7

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
Very good renders indeed but...i found this carpet bit disturbing :D

Coronaut!(c)2011

Supporting Corona in commercial projects since pre-alpha

2015-05-06, 13:02:28
Reply #8

fLuppster

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2015-05-06, 13:52:53
Reply #9

Mr.Schorsch

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • fokuspunkt
Really good point Rawalanche

I, myself, am a victim of this style as well. But I totally agree with you, that this whole style is completely overused in Arch viz these days. The OP's images are  stunning in all parts ( technically, design, propping aso) but it is sad, that I am not able to cheer this images like I did with the images from Lasse Rode ( for example) from xoio or Bertrand Benoit some years ago. They lost their magic somehow. Another reason is, that you see the same props and furniture over and over again (I always include me in the critic as well). Free furniture from dimensiva, Model plus Model .....  And I have a question about the wrinkled carpet. Is it a freebie too. Because it feels like it is in tons of images. Again sorry OP... this is not against you... from my side on it is more agains our business environment.

Corona made great looking images pop up each and everywhere. Which is a great thing... on the other side I am stupifyed by all the prefect images. I am still trying to find my style or way to produce good and unique images but I always find myself using or even copying this style over and over again.... Help!!!!

Maybe it all looks always a bit to overdesigned. There are just design objekts... that turns the images to some kind of uncanny. I think that 90% of all the guys here in the forum can't even afford half of the design objects from most of the images.

So somehow this design style is just a better taste version of the " Russian Mafia guy Marble and Gold massacre" ( sorry to all the Russian guys out there.. this is a stupid stereotype I am using here)

... sorry for the long post...   so now your thoughts !?

2015-05-06, 15:37:44
Reply #10

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. Kind of funny that this debate comes up just a few hours after I saw these pictures first time (just after OP uploaded them), and had some thoughts about the style and interior design. At that time I especially wondered about the overly wrinkled carpets that seems to find its way into all arch viz interiors these days. In real life these carpets would be highly insecure - you'll stumble over them anytime you walk across the room - and none of the people I've ever visited who has the money to buy all this design stuff, would ever agree to have their home photographed with such messy carpets. Even though most of these carpets are 3D versions of expensive real world design, they look messy and cheap (to my at least) because of these overdone wrinkles.

I know why it's done this way, and I do these things myself. But sometimes it's simply necessary to think: why do I do this?

BTW - Really great pictures in all aspects + extra points added for these pictures ability to make us think about what we do and why we do it :)

Keep it up!

2015-05-06, 15:44:40
Reply #11

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
You guys are often over-thinking this debate. People should foremost do what they enjoy, regardless if someone else has done it thousand times.

Faux-scandi (because in 99perc. almost nothing is authentically scandinavian on the final look), Sunset Skyrise, Fansworth house. They're attractive themes people are attracted towards,
everyone wants to try it himself.

As long as you do it for your own enjoyment, nothing else matters. If you're doing it for...portfolio, that on other hand isn't the smartest thing. The single biggest attracting point for clients, is unique quality (as long as everything else is perfect).

they look messy and cheap (to my at least) because of these overdone wrinkles.

This should be a collection of CGI tropes :- ) Along with 'dirty' glossiness on everything possible for that "extra level of realism".
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-05-06, 15:58:29
Reply #12

Ricky Johnson

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Another reason is, that you see the same props and furniture over and over again (I always include me in the critic as well). Free furniture from dimensiva, Model plus Model .....  And I have a question about the wrinkled carpet. Is it a freebie too. Because it feels like it is in tons of images.

I think that the popularity of Marvelous Designer might be the culprit for the amount of wrinkled carpets in archviz of late. It's still difficult, in my experience at least, to get a natural looking fabric out of MD without a fair amount of draping, pulling and creasing going on. Neat things are not it's forte. Then you've gone to the trouble of stitching this thing together and unless you make it look like it's just been dragged across the floor by an animal you might just as well have poly-modelled it!

I agree that the over-use of certain objects (free or otherwise) is tiring to observe in visualisations and a particular style is becoming hackneyed. I could happily go through life without ever seeing another Eiffel Chair! (but then, I have the choice to look away :) )
It's almost 75% of what I judge as interesting in my opinion when I see a new visual - does it look as though anything's been selected and made from scratch.

Having said that, I don't think this set of images is a bad offender of this trend by any means. I might be out of touch with Model Plus Model's range of accessories and other suppliers but I think that a fair amount of the content in this scene is individually made, whether I like the style of it or not. Also, the visuals have been very well executed which is to be admired. I think that the timber elements of the furniture look a bit 'toasted' though to specifically comment on something.

2015-05-06, 16:07:08
Reply #13

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I did not intent to sound like this is not a good job. These pictures look really great and photorealistic. I mean, as a CG work, it's top notch. It's just that the content itself is being repeated so much that even if you see super high end photorealistic set of render that has great attention to detail, like this one, it does not awake any excitement because you have seen so many similar interior and furniture styles before.

2015-05-06, 17:25:54
Reply #14

Mr.Schorsch

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • fokuspunkt
First of all... I did the stuff with the overly wrinkled Carpet myself. So guilty in this case!! And again... the OP's images are really great.

Juraj, you are right. As long as you do it for your own amusement it does not matter what you are doing and who you are copying. But even the non commercial projects and/ or private projects find their way into the www. What I want to say is just, that these beautiful images (on their own) lose their beauty in the mass of clones. even if they aren't a cloned on purpose themselves.

Reinventing the wheel with every project is just not doable. But I hope it would be possible to invest an extra hour to think about a little something, that is new or different to the rest, to make images more unique and give them back their artist specific handwriting.

aaaaand back to the carpet.... it is fun to see, that in the moment that something is suddenly easy or with less technical afford doable, people start to overuse it for a while. (me included)
Of course, MD is a great tool and you can do crazy wrinkle stuff with it. But just because you can, doesn't mean you must... by all cost.

That is all I want to say.

Was it guthri or benoit who said that, if you like something very much (an effect or something) reduce it by 50% and it looks good and natural to every one.

2015-05-06, 21:13:47
Reply #15

lasse1309

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hi all (wow nice discussion going on)

first of all i think these are just great renders. Honestly I am stunned.

All of you know how hard it is to pull off this kind of quality - technical and design-wise (even though this is a popular style right now)
this faux-scandinavian thing is all over the place - blogs, magazines, shops, ebay, ikea...
so if you do something popular and do it with perfection (or at least better than the others) all respect to you! :D
"be the first or be the best"

You all also know that there is more to a good image than just random furniture from dc, em etc and some funky thrown md blankets -

I am not able to cheer this images like I did with the images from Lasse Rode ( for example) from xoio or Bertrand Benoit some years ago.
thanks for that one. being mentioned in one sentence with the big B is still giving me chills ;)

there are a lot of great rendered images around these days that sometimes make me feel it would be better to specialize in business related stuff or farming instead..

love
lasse

2015-05-07, 06:40:49
Reply #16

William Yan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I like the renderings, it is the level I can't go now. Really like the lighting , feel like sweet home.

2015-05-07, 11:42:12
Reply #17

Image Box Studios

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGE BOX STUDIOS
Hello to everyone and thank you very much to everyone for their comments....Now i am here to answers.

@arrival , fLuppster, Alexp - Hi thank you guys. Images updated. i will post raw render by the evening.

@AnubisMe - Hi thanks, its all depends on client's need as well as interior layouts.

@Rawalanche - Hi thanks for your comments and suggestions . well i do agree with your comments. you can be right on some points. yes, you are right,these images look similar with previous renderings, but it is the style of Scandinavian design. if you will search on web, you will find these things everywhere like:-furry blankets, pillows with random quotes, blackboards with chalk, framed paintings on the floor, wrinkled rugs, obscene stuff hanging on walls, messy beds, dirty mirrors. but i will think about your suggestions.

@Freakaz - totally agree with you. thanks.

@michaltimko - Thank you very much. regarding carpet, it is a part of scene.

@Mr.Schorsch - thanks for your comments. and yes,you are right. there are few objects,which most of artists use over and over again but does it make sense that we can not use objects over and over again. if i am talking about B&B furniture or IKEA, many artists use them into their scenes again and again. and regarding wrinkled carpet,yes its a freebie but it doesn't mean that we can not use freebie too. many artists are not able to purchase pro models. also can you give me a solid reason that why it is more against to our business environment. anyway thank you again.

@PROH - hi, correct,In real life these carpets would be highly insecure. i think this wrinkled carpet is going to be controversial. but i saw many artist work and many artists used wrinkled carpets into their interior. thank you very much for liking my images.

@Juraj_Talcik - totally agree with Juraj. Thank you.

2015-05-07, 13:40:35
Reply #18

Mr.Schorsch

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • fokuspunkt
@Image Box Studio

Hey... sorry for the rude sound of my post... it was definitely not supposed to.

I meant that, I am not criticising you directly or your images. It is just what I wrote in my second post. That the beauty of many images got lost in the amount of other images looking more or less the same.
I think, that using a style, and freebies is ok and absolute legit. ( the style because it is a style... in in this case still a great looking / And freebies because you can't buy or build new stuff for each image you do) But I see so many images (aaaaannd again, I do this on my own as well) that are filled with freebies and stuff every body knows from forums and so on. ( which is not the case in your images )

Maybe this is a sign that even the cheap design connected is still to expansive because no one wants to buy new stuff and rather reuse the old freebies.

2015-05-07, 15:00:39
Reply #19

Image Box Studios

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGE BOX STUDIOS
@Ricky Johnson - Thanks you very much for your comments and suggestions.

@lasse1309 - Thank you for your kind words on my work.

@ayan13 - Hi thanks, well you can do these type of renderings too my friend. thanks to corona for this amazing render engine.

@Mr.Schorsch - Hey, please don't say sorry. i respect your comments and suggestions. On forum everyone can share their thoughts, comments and critics on others work and i appreciate every comments from every person. i was not saying that you were rude on my work. i was just explaining and clarifying the things.

2015-05-07, 15:08:48
Reply #20

Image Box Studios

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGE BOX STUDIOS
Hi Adam, Ondra and Corona support team - Thank you very much to you guys for posting my work on Corona Facebook page. I am very glad.

2015-05-07, 22:07:06
Reply #21

minimaldesign - Blaž

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • minimaldesign
roger and out ;)

2015-05-09, 02:11:35
Reply #22

speltospel

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • closeupvisual.com
each time there is a visual representative.
Today in 2015, it is a favorite of Scandinavian style. it is simply progress of history.

2015-05-11, 10:29:34
Reply #23

dartofang

• Active Users
  • @archviztutorial
    • View Profile
the design and composition is just perfect. keep it up man.

2015-05-11, 11:49:41
Reply #24

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Today in 2015, it is a favorite of Scandinavian style. it is simply progress of history.
Yeah, it's sad how every post-~2010 car looks like from the same manufacturer now (with a few exceptions).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-05-11, 12:05:24
Reply #25

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I find those examples from 80's and 90's most unattractive, yet i'd love to be stuck in that era forever. That was a golden age.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-05-11, 14:24:01
Reply #26

Hamburger

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is very much in the way that scandinavian architecture is photographed in my opinion, very high key almost bleached look but this is very well done. I do not think it is bright at all, and you have lifted the blacks too which is even closer.

Very good work.

Maya 2016
Windows 10

2015-05-11, 16:35:49
Reply #27

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
@imageboxstudio do you have any guides, feel like teaching the rest of us a little?

One thing is the style, and though it is super important, and the attention to detail about the interior design is also super important, I feel like you make certain lighting and shader decisions a lot could learn from. 

I for one would love to see more detail on how this look is achieved. How much is post?

2015-05-11, 17:13:31
Reply #28

Tiago4D

• Active Users
  • Be Happy!
    • View Profile
    • Lumo Studio Arch & Design
amazings shoots! congratulations!
Learning...

2015-05-12, 18:24:10
Reply #29

Image Box Studios

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGE BOX STUDIOS
@cgdigi - Thank you so much.

@Hamburger - Thanks for your words.

@snakebox - Hi...well i am working on making for this project. very soon i will publish the process behind the project.

@Tiago4D - thank you tiago.

2015-05-13, 10:19:40
Reply #30

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
I find those examples from 80's and 90's most unattractive, yet i'd love to be stuck in that era forever. That was a golden age.

Because examples on that image are not representative samples from that era. Most beautiful cars were made in 80s/90s.

Sorry for OT .
Coronaut!(c)2011

Supporting Corona in commercial projects since pre-alpha

2015-05-18, 15:44:46
Reply #31

dusanstevic

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • ArchID
Very nicely done! All renders look great! Even though one of the comments was that scenes are too bright I love how you managed to get even lighting all across the room. Can you comment little on your lighting setup? Did you use fill lights? And for main lighting, did you go with Corona sun/sky or was it lit with hdri?

2015-05-19, 18:11:59
Reply #32

Image Box Studios

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGE BOX STUDIOS
Very nicely done! All renders look great! Even though one of the comments was that scenes are too bright I love how you managed to get even lighting all across the room. Can you comment little on your lighting setup? Did you use fill lights? And for main lighting, did you go with Corona sun/sky or was it lit with hdri?

HI dusanstevic - Thank you very much for your kind appreciation. well lighting setup is very simple. i used corona sun+sky. i am working on making of this project. i hope, making will realese this week.

2015-05-21, 17:47:11
Reply #33

Image Box Studios

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGE BOX STUDIOS

2015-06-26, 08:05:16
Reply #34

qdesignstudio

• Users
    • View Profile
Hii... i like your lighting setup in all images ... great job