Author Topic: Camera Raw filter  (Read 4404 times)

2014-12-10, 10:41:14

fabioazevedo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Guys
Has someone found a way to avoid the almost unusable response that you get from camera raw filter in 32bit mode?
I assume it happens because the software expects a RAW file, which isn't the case with bullet looks and arionfx, or even camera raw filter in 16bit for that matter,
but I do like the control it allows for and was wondering if there was anything you could do to make it work nicely in 32 bit, with say a half float .exr from Corona.

Thanks in advance
Fabio

2014-12-10, 18:29:31
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It instantly tries to tonemap to lower depth (Photoshop uses this filter also as alternative HDR tonemapper to HDR tool, not only as CamRaw).

It only does it on default (2012) mode, and setting it to older (2010 for example) in 95perc. of cases solves this issue.

BTW, maybe off-topic, but half-float (16bit) =/= {is not !) 16bit in Photoshop. Half-float is still linear file of lower bit depth, but 16bit is regular gamma 2.2 image of higher bit depth only.
What CameraRaw has issue with is the linear gamma not so much 32 bit depth.

But try the older mode, it still has 90perc. of tools identical, I would say it's almost better for CGI images as it has easy "burn/clamp" tool that works like Corona native one.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-12-10, 21:19:51
Reply #2

fabioazevedo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Juraj!
It does solve it on all the tests I've made to try your solution out.
I'd never noticed that changing the mode would also change the tools of the first tab, and agree that it's probably more logical for that primary color correction on a render. I always found the current version a bit redundant, and more so because of the tone curve on the next tab having the same terminology (although slightly different response).

Regarding half-float, I already knew what you explained, but wasn't assuming (could have, now that i think of it) that the issue was necessarily because of linear gamma.

Anyway, pretty happy with it now. Thanks again.

2014-12-10, 22:00:12
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Glad that it did, I found this out completely by random :- ).

I know you did, that's why I wrote it's off-topic, just for future thread comers, because I see people confuse it a lot and it makes such a big difference, most people convert .exrs instantly to 16bit thinking it's the same and they instantly loose the main benefit of rendering into linear format.

Well, almost everything in CameraRaw is redundant by two or three measures, to accomodate everyone's techniques I guess. Little PS inside PS :- )

So how do you find ArionFX ? Played only very briefly with demo, but I guess I just wasn't so impressed with the presets, and tweaking them I can already just do that from scratch in CameraRaw.
Maybe I should give it a second try perhaps.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-12-10, 22:42:59
Reply #4

fabioazevedo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Interesting that you ask, I was about to comment on that but then thought it was too off-topic.
I don't like it a lot actually. Algorithms are interesting, specially camera effects, but the tonemapping is very limited to the presets, and the interface is very poor and not pleasant sensitivity wise. Then it lacks zoom for example and many  other things. ACR, for exemple, compensates the lack of more advanced color grading scopes with a good histogram, but in arion I keep going back to PS interface to check what I'm doing.
As soon as corona gets bloom and glare, I'll stop using it at all.