Author Topic: Feature requests  (Read 68989 times)

2014-08-28, 14:27:50

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Post your feature requests for Corona scatter here. I will start:
  • Density/scale/... texmaps
  • Distribution from splines
  • Uniform patterns (grid/lattice, ...)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-08-28, 14:36:52
Reply #1

crazyman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
multiple input meshes / proxies
possibility to adjust amount in case multiple meshes in percentage ex. 30%flowers - 60%grass - 10%rocks etc. you got my point.

2014-08-28, 15:11:43
Reply #2

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
ehm, that is already implemented...
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-08-28, 16:52:53
Reply #3

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
I can think in some features :) 
Include-Exclude areas with splines with degradation betwen both
Scatter on a spline path
Collision detection
Detection of edges (i mean that the scattered object dont break the given path, Like the grass growing in the sidewalk or so)
Clusters of elements (of the same elemments)
Color variations, and vertex colors
Brush proxy painter

And a lote more from more advanced users!!

Btw this is an excellent news! Glad to be on corona side :)

2014-08-28, 17:13:29
Reply #4

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Could I add a request to enable scattering within a complex object rather than just a bounding box of the object?

For example: create a thick torus knot in max and scatter some boxes on it. When setting the scatter type to bounding box rather than "on surface", it just creates a scatter within a box to the bounds of the torus knot, rather than what I'd like to have happen where the scattered boxes are spread evenly throughout the torus knot. I realise that I could fiddle with the translation parameters of the scattered objects but doesn't always work for complex shapes.

This would be very useful for creating thickly scattered objects, now couple this with density maps and we could create some cool stuff.
Vray who?

2014-08-28, 18:09:09
Reply #5

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Will this be multi platform? - i.e. work with c4d corona - when its released!

As a feature I like the sound of the edge detection / boolian to stop overspill.

Cheers

2014-08-28, 20:20:39
Reply #6

davius

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Camera clipping! Also the ability to change some parameters of animated meshes (re-timing).

2014-08-28, 21:50:14
Reply #7

vicnaum

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just make it Multiscatter+Forest

2014-08-28, 23:00:45
Reply #8

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile

2014-08-29, 00:43:48
Reply #9

Adi

• Active Users
    • View Profile

My thoughts exactly :)

2014-08-29, 01:14:22
Reply #10

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

it is pretty bold to expect this one extra free plugin for a renderer to cover everything done by 2 scatter plugins costing about 300 euro each...

2014-08-29, 01:26:59
Reply #11

Stan_But

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/archdizs

2014-08-29, 01:53:00
Reply #12

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Compatibility with Maya's Xgen, of course thinking in Maya's version of Corona :)

2014-08-29, 01:55:33
Reply #13

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
Post your feature requests for Corona scatter here. I will start:
  • Density/scale/... texmaps
  • Distribution from splines
  • Uniform patterns (grid/lattice, ...)

and

-saving presets and apply it to new base opbjects
-based on home made pattrens
-camera clipping ---> yes, + ignore the area behind an object which is not seen by the camera, if the latter is possible????

2014-08-29, 11:32:46
Reply #14

crazyman

• Active Users
    • View Profile

It does, but it is not very precise. I do not know is it because of the way random algorithms are designed or something else.  Try following numbers for instance:
scatter count: 10
box frequency: 0.3
sphere frequency: 0.2
cylinder frequency: 0.5

Above should you give results as follows: 10 objects scattered across surface of your choice, 3x boxes, 2x spheres and 5x cylinders. You will be surprised that numbers does not matched up. Checked on both, Halton and Congruent.

2014-08-29, 13:44:19
Reply #15

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
-scatter inside of object (volume)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2014-08-29, 16:51:23
Reply #16

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models

It does, but it is not very precise. I do not know is it because of the way random algorithms are designed or something else.  Try following numbers for instance:

Above should you give results as follows: 10 objects scattered across surface of your choice, 3x boxes, 2x spheres and 5x cylinders. You will be surprised that numbers does not matched up. Checked on both, Halton and Congruent.

What would happen if you choose count: 1000 instead of 10?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2014-08-29, 22:24:04
Reply #17

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

2014-09-01, 10:41:52
Reply #18

crazyman

• Active Users
    • View Profile

What would happen if you choose count: 1000 instead of 10?

Since I did not find a quick way to convert Corona Scatter object into anything where I can count object automatically, I lowered total to 100 and count it manually:

scatter count: 100

Results are:
30xBoxes
52xCylynders
18xSpheres

My guess is 1k will not going to be correct either.

2014-09-01, 11:56:53
Reply #19

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
ok, then it is probably working correctly - the object types are generated randomly - so the real percentages are also random. If you would change seed, you would get on average your input value, but values with different seeds can slightly differ.  It is done this way because it is simpler, and most times, the exact percentage cannot be achieved (e.g. if you would have 30.5% of one objects)

2014-09-01, 13:16:42
Reply #20

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Yep, seems like perfectly normal probabilistic behavior.

2014-09-02, 13:17:04
Reply #21

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
It would be nice to have better selection of distribution and scattered objects directly from viewport. Right now, one have to press + sign, pick object, press + again, select another object and so on and so on. Too much mouse clicking.

2014-09-02, 13:47:40
Reply #22

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
There's actually a trick not many people know, but many 3ds Max features and plugins rely on it.

Click the button to initialize picking session, then press H to open select by name dialog, select all the objects you want to add, and click pick :)

2014-09-02, 14:22:03
Reply #23

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
This trick is well known, but it's not needed here, because Corona Scatter itself has such funcionality. I'm talking about picking objects from viewport directly. It's useful when scene objects aren't named properly.

2014-09-02, 15:01:49
Reply #24

crazyman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ok, then it is probably working correctly - the object types are generated randomly - so the real percentages are also random. If you would change seed, you would get on average your input value, but values with different seeds can slightly differ.  It is done this way because it is simpler, and most times, the exact percentage cannot be achieved (e.g. if you would have 30.5% of one objects)

OK then I rest my case :) but wait... During my last test, I did mention problems with selecting scattered object individually. Any way to address this issue? Or is it a way to select it?

2014-09-02, 15:07:55
Reply #25

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Me request. It's in FP, but not in MS

(*) possibility to delete by painting, the scattered objects. It's very useful!

2014-09-02, 18:03:18
Reply #26

zzubnik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The ability to not have self-intersection.

2014-09-02, 22:05:28
Reply #27

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
This trick is well known, but it's not needed here, because Corona Scatter itself has such funcionality. I'm talking about picking objects from viewport directly. It's useful when scene objects aren't named properly.

Yes, Multiscatter does that by doing some multi object picking session, but it often caused performance problems they have not been able to completely resolved yet. So it may come at a cost.

2014-09-06, 13:20:10
Reply #28

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
Hi, I agree with all requests posted above + I would suggest slope detection with different slope detection thresholds/settings for each object, rgb color rotation/scale variation maps (as the ones in multiscatter) and maybe even some height thresholds too + hand painting/scattering objects while considering those slope detection/threshold settings - well nothing special :)

Slope detection to make such http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/steep-rocky-mountain-slope-landscape-bucegi-mountains-romania-36037323.jpg things a breeze - ugly colors on that photo but it's good as an example :)
 Height thresholds + slope detection + variation maps to make something like this http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bN0SvgeAn0Y/Uh4jQ97PfyI/AAAAAAAAAtM/Kh60KFH3t-0/s1600/yoho.jpg

Well maybe not a breeze but certainly much easier :) Of course one could always use some density/slope maps generated by world-machine/vue/GeoControl or something similar but still density map support is needed for that not to mention other software + some knowledge of its workings. Other method (density maps are still needed) - one could use Gugila's groundwiz's Terrain Map ( http://www.gugila.com/products_gw.php?ID=gw2 ) yet I don't know if it is already supported + that map can be a real ramchewer if baked, well at least in some cases. And another - something like that http://www.3dm3.com/tutorials/mount/ - still density maps are needed and I suspect you won't get scatterer viewport preview unless that procedural is baked which again can be quite ram consuming depending on the scene scale and details needed. 
 All those methods can work pretty well, given the support for density maps, still if possible It certainly could be way handier to have that slope detection directly inside corona scatter just to avoid distractions and unnecessary meddling with other soft, not to mention it would make Corona even more awesome :)

2014-10-04, 11:39:26
Reply #29

GRouslan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 for coronapattern like vraypattern. I have forespack, railclone, vraypattern. Vrapattern's functionality and usability replaces both railclone's and forestpack's  in most cases and brings further they can't handle because of memory limit.

2014-10-10, 06:06:13
Reply #30

Javadevil

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I'd be happy with spline areas ( include and exclude ) with falloff .

2014-10-24, 11:43:50
Reply #31

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,
I think one of the most important features is to have the possibility to make a color variation

2014-11-26, 11:18:25
Reply #32

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
Hmmm I would think some LOD would be good to have - some distance from camera specified with randomized lod transition line one :)
See Gugilla's Groundwiz ( http://www.gugila.com/products_gw.php?ID=gw3 ) Or Carbon Scatter (
) for an inspiration - some really useful feature that one is ...
« Last Edit: 2014-11-27, 22:15:04 by antanas »

2015-03-08, 16:14:12
Reply #33

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
ON/OFF button to temporarily turn off scattering when not needed.
Implemented.
« Last Edit: 2015-07-26, 11:25:24 by romullus »

2015-03-11, 14:24:47
Reply #34

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Under Transformations there is checkbox Allign frame to normal. Could be more useful if could be driven by numerical input (from 0 to 100) or even better by colour with ability to assign texmap.

2015-03-23, 23:51:47
Reply #35

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It would be very useful to have some sort of collision control. A "strength" or a percentage control that allows you to vary the distance set by then bounding boxes.

As it is now, it is almost impossible to cover an area with grass without using an incredible large amount of collided objects. Using collision will reduce the number dramatically, but will always leave some empty spaces around every object - due to the bounding box. By reducing the collision "strength" it would be possible to make objects come closer only slightly overlapping, and thereby cover an area with less objects than now.

Regards.

2015-03-30, 15:04:44
Reply #36

3dbybrunolopes

• Active Users
  • Bruno Lopes
    • View Profile
    • http://www.3dbybrunolopes.com
Corona Scatter can only use map channel 1 and doesn´t have an on/off feature?
« Last Edit: 2015-03-30, 15:15:08 by 3dbybrunolopes »
Senior 3D Artist and Technical Director

2015-03-31, 11:18:00
Reply #37

rsi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rsi
Hello,
I think one of the most important features is to have the possibility to make a color variation

Yes, lack of color variation from bitmap is the main reason why I don't use Corona scatter, but I understand the 300 dollars argument.

2015-03-31, 11:19:49
Reply #38

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Now it's possible (Corona v1.0), thanks to the new CoronaMultiMap ;-)

2015-03-31, 11:38:22
Reply #39

rsi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rsi
I have try it I'm able to have the color variation but not relative to a bitmap (use object colore in ms), how do You proceed?
Maybe i need to be moved to the I need help section.

2015-03-31, 11:49:02
Reply #40

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just change the CoronaMultiMap Mode from "Material ID" to "Instance" and you can use "Mix amount" from 0-100 to mix the color. Very easy.

2015-03-31, 15:06:47
Reply #41

shadowman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Offset for "Avoid collisions" option to control density.

2015-03-31, 15:36:57
Reply #42

rsi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rsi
Thanks, I still don't get it maybe I'm doind something wrong, I have tried it but, the mixed maps always takes the UV from the instanced object, not the distribution's one. I have tested it with 2 UVW Maps without result. I would like to achieve that kind of variations (it's working with MS and FP):
http://msue.anr.msu.edu/uploads/images/5-23-wheat-field-BRUCE.jpg

2015-06-20, 23:36:30
Reply #43

Dervish

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Quote from: Adi on 2014-08-29, 00:43:48

Quote from: vicnaum on 2014-08-28, 21:50:14

it is pretty bold to expect this one extra free plugin for a renderer to cover everything done by 2 scatter plugins costing about 300 euro each...

Ondra : Unless you ask the fairsaas users, if they were willng to pay a few extra euros per month, and you could integrate   a whole new corona scatter plugin or the names mentioned. :)

2015-07-26, 10:41:25
Reply #44

johnyboo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,

Are you plannig add more options to scatter tool?

I suggest a few:

1. Scatter count per square meter. Now all time when i change size of surface area, i must calculate new count parameter.
2. Something like EDGE option in forest.
3. Avoid collision percentage radius option.
3. Scatter on spline. For example if i want to scatter bushes along path. I think i cant do it now in current scatter tool.

2015-07-26, 11:24:02
Reply #45

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models

2015-08-01, 16:10:52
Reply #46

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
  • Add on/off checkboxes next to each texmap slot in CScatter. It's very inconvenient to clear and drag back maps when you want to temporarily disable them.
  • Ability to scatter grouped objects.
« Last Edit: 2015-08-01, 16:31:23 by romullus »

2015-08-10, 22:15:20
Reply #47

Mague

• Active Users
    • View Profile
One special feature that would change the way of scattering objects...
A spinner to select the degree of the distribution objects normals to scatter on.

Imagine you have a rangy landscape and would like to scatter trees only at slope, you could set a range of degrees and you are set.
Maybe call it distribution by normal angle of source object.
Enhanced with a slider to select the range in height in which the scatter will occur this would be one thing the competition has not.

Just an idea :)

2015-08-11, 15:20:45
Reply #48

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
well I guess you can plug in falloff map into the texmap slot... it should work when using world Z axis ;)

2015-08-16, 10:05:45
Reply #49

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Couple propositions:

• allow avoid collisions - strictness to go to negative values, so instances could repel each other with greater distances than their bounding boxes. Implemented.
  • replace transformations from-to with offset. That way you'll have more space in UI to add maps to each slots. That would greatly improve CScatter possibilities, IMHO. Attaching possible UI mockup. 1st - original UI, 2nd - UI with offset, 3rd - alternative version with check boxes. V2 looks more clean, but V3 has so desired checkboxes. Though decision :] I didn't touch scale section - don't know how to improve it.

edit: made new additions to mockup in post #57
« Last Edit: 2015-09-09, 23:13:13 by romullus »

2015-08-16, 16:11:51
Reply #50

Siahpoosh

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Siahpoosh.Net
i hope let scattering Group object as instanced object

2015-08-17, 21:33:17
Reply #51

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Thanks for strictness enhancement!

There's couple more requests:

• it would be nice to have statistics on actual number of scattered instances somewhere in CScatter settings.
  • don't know if possible, but it would be very very cool to have ability to assign random material id to instances.

2015-08-18, 11:59:26
Reply #52

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

don't know if possible, but it would be very very cool to have ability to assign random material id to instances.

CoronaMultiMaterial? :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-08-18, 12:05:10
Reply #53

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Is this some hint? :]

2015-08-26, 18:24:28
Reply #54

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
  • Since items in distribute on objects and instanced objects lists are not editable, it's impossible to see full item's name in case it's quite long. Horizontal scrollbar would help here or alignement by right at very least.
  • Ability to select more than on item in distribute on objects and instanced objects lists, so it'd be possible to change frequency and density values en masse.
« Last Edit: 2015-08-26, 18:32:27 by romullus »

2015-08-29, 23:59:06
Reply #55

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Add third dimension to CoronaScatter icon so it would be easier to select it from side views.

2015-09-08, 07:19:04
Reply #56

Siahpoosh

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Siahpoosh.Net
Please add support for animated objects , for example i have a tree with wind and want to bake that to corona proxy (with animation) and then i want to use that in corona scatter . and also it would be awesome if we have some animation control like randomness and offset and ...

thanks

2015-09-09, 23:11:08
Reply #57

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Updated my CoronaScatter transformation panel mockup: 1. added separate global and local controls to scale 2. swapped translation and rotation controls - i hink such order is more common than current one.

Please add support for animated objects , for example i have a tree with wind and want to bake that to corona proxy (with animation) and then i want to use that in corona scatter . and also it would be awesome if we have some animation control like randomness and offset and ...

thanks

Animation is already supported, even with deformational MB. Ability to randomly offset it would be more than welcome though.

2015-10-15, 15:56:00
Reply #58

kahein

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Please add support of Material Shader transposition form the distribution object to the scatter object .

Asus Z10PE-D16 WS / Dual Xeon E5-2690 v4 @ 2.60GHz / RAM 64 Go - GTX 970
Win 10 / Max 2017 / Corona 1.4

2015-10-27, 19:43:44
Reply #59

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
To have support for 3d maps in density slot when scaterring type is set to by volume would be awesome.

2016-02-18, 14:42:41
Reply #60

Tanakov

• Active Users
  • Corona is faster than diarrhea
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/Gringott
Camera reaction "Scatter only in the Camera Viewed Area" That helps in some cases.

Is there a way to create "multiscatter converter"?
Using Corona since 2014-01-02
https://www.behance.net/Gringott

2016-02-20, 17:51:47
Reply #61

Cheesemsmsm

• Active Users
    • View Profile
spline exclude areas please

2016-06-12, 13:42:51
Reply #62

adamski

• Users
    • View Profile
Would it be possible to use AO map as a density/scale map for edges?

I tried this to differentiate between large and small grass clumps to tidy up a hard edge but I couldn't get it to work. It did get it to work quite nicely with a hand painted map, but I was hoping for a more automatic solution.

Thanks.

2016-07-28, 23:19:29
Reply #63

flaviomac

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Be abble to pick an animated geometry as the "distribute on object" and NOT have the "intanced objects" redistributed over the animated surface as it change its form. Like to produce the fur of an animated character, or the trees of an talking vulcano like in the pixar short movie.
Is there any way to do this?

2016-07-29, 09:22:55
Reply #64

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
It is already implemented in daily builds and will be available in v1.5

2016-07-29, 18:52:53
Reply #65

flaviomac

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can I download and use the daily build?

2016-07-29, 19:08:25
Reply #66

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
If you're eligible to do so, i.e. you're owner of FairSAAS or Box with subscription licences, then yes, definitely. Here's instructions on how to start using daily builds: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000530719-installing-daily-builds

2016-11-10, 14:31:00
Reply #67

ktulu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Please add a way to manually define the position of scattered objects. In Forest Pack its referred to as 'custom edit mode'.
I couldn't find this setting anywhere in corona scatter and it's a major deal breaker for workflows, where one needs to precisely define the position of say trees and still wants to benefit from all the goodies like random scaling, rotation and instancing.

2018-09-28, 11:14:06
Reply #68

robpayne

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Relative save paths, such as ./render/…. and naming tokens (as featured in GSG tutorial here: https://greyscalegorilla.com/tutorials/tokens-name-renders-c4d/).