Author Topic: Add 'Additional Outputs' to Corona Distance  (Read 912 times)

2023-09-11, 18:44:41

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Pretty simple but would be great.  Same feature you already added to Corona colorcorrect etc. where you can add 'additional outputs' but added to Corona Distance map.  I often use this map for masking off paths etc and this would really help.

Thanks for considering!
Dan

2023-09-11, 19:26:20
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm not sure what you mean here - Color Correct takes a singular input map, and the new functionality lets you have more than 1 input map, each with an associated output. However, the Distance Map has four inputs, not one, so how to you envisage that working? Also, the Distance Map has the "Distance From" object baked into it, so you'd still need different Distance Maps for different "distance from" objects.

Are you picturing with a value of 2, that you'd have 8 inputs (4 for each version) and they'd both use the same Distance From object, so basically you would be getting the same distance map from the same object just with different near, far, and outside colors, and different Scaling? Or was there something more you were thinking it would achieve?
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2023-09-11, 22:54:31
Reply #2

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Tom - Thanks for the response.  My main thing I'd be looking for is additional inputs\outputs for Near and Far (and maybe Inside.)

Here's my current scenario:  I'm doing a gravel path in a field.  I'm using corona distance to make the path and give it a subtle fade off to the 'roots and leaves' map I am using for the field.  But I have to do a corona distance for diffuse, bump, reflection, etc.  Just seems like it would be cool if there were a way to stack this into one node.  Maybe I'm being dumb about my method, and not sure how that would look graphically.  Perhaps my usage is odd enough it's not worth the time...

2023-09-12, 04:00:40
Reply #3

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Tom - Thanks for the response.  My main thing I'd be looking for is additional inputs\outputs for Near and Far (and maybe Inside.)

Here's my current scenario:  I'm doing a gravel path in a field.  I'm using corona distance to make the path and give it a subtle fade off to the 'roots and leaves' map I am using for the field.  But I have to do a corona distance for diffuse, bump, reflection, etc.  Just seems like it would be cool if there were a way to stack this into one node.  Maybe I'm being dumb about my method, and not sure how that would look graphically.  Perhaps my usage is odd enough it's not worth the time...

I believe that in this scenario you can use just one black and white Corona Distance map, without using maps for the Far and Near slots.
And it can be used as a mask for mixing "gravel" and "roots & leaves" materials in Corona Layered Mtl, or for mixing individual maps through Composite or Corona Mix if you want to.

2023-09-12, 17:13:48
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
TY for the extra info!

Another thought - you could take the output from one Corona Distance, and then tweak various fade outs and fall offs using Color Correct (adjust brightness, contrast, etc. to change the way the fade works), or through the Gradient Ramp for more refined control (even having something fade in then fade out again at certain points in the distance). Not sure if it would do what you are looking for, just wanted to give some more thoughts on how you can flexibly use the output from one Distance Map :) That goes alongside marchik's suggestions of Composite, Mix, and Layered.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us