Author Topic: CoronaDistance map driven by proximity to material  (Read 1236 times)

2020-04-24, 05:15:32

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello!

I often use CoronaDistance to do rendertime booleans, especially for things like recessed lights in ceilings.  One way I do manage my cutter object is to just go into sub object mode and create duplicate elements, that way I don't have to keep adding to the list.  Other times I just create a lot of instanced objects and add each of them to the list of objects within the coronadistance map properties.  Either way, it  starts to become a little cumbersome when it comes to coordinating\moving them around with the lights or filler objects.  This is just one example, I also use it for reveals and gaps and the same things applies when matching 'cutters' and 'fillers.'

It occurred to me today that it would be quite handy to just be able to drive CoronaDistance by proximity to an object with a certain MATERIAL.  That way I could just assign my 'cutter' object that certain material without worrying about making sure it was a sub-object, or also on the list, etc.  So you'd have a list of 'include' objects and a list of 'materials.'  Proximity to either would be seen in the same way.

I'm sorry if I'm overlooking some existing functionality or other workflow that would accomplish this same thing (or if this is impossible).  If that's the case please do let me know...otherwise, I think this would be a great feature for rendertime booleans as well as a variety of other uses!
« Last Edit: 2020-04-24, 05:19:31 by danio1011 »