Author Topic: Corona library materials not showing in scene OR in renders (3DS Max)  (Read 19219 times)

2019-11-15, 14:14:40

Cyresto

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey all,
Completely at a loss here. I'm trying to texture some wood and stone in my environment but the corona material library materials are just not displaying on anything, even when there is a UVW map or unwrap UVW modifier on the object. It's weird because I have a gold texture in use too, which displays fine (probably because it has no normal maps and such). When I use the eyedropper in the material library, it picks up the material just fine, and shows what the material should look like in the preview, but NO MATTER WHAT I do, it doesn't apply to and object?
I've tried to make a separate empty scene, import things in, texture them and render them, but still nothing. Even if I make a new environment with nothing but a sphere and light and try to render a texture on said sphere, it still does nothing.
Please god help me i'm dumbfounded.

This is the floor, the material to the left has been eyedropped directly from the floor, but even with a UVW map it displays nothing in the render;

2019-11-15, 14:34:54
Reply #1

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hey,

The eyedropper tool picks the material from the object that you select not the other way around. You can simply drag and drop the material from the editor on to your object.

Cheers,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2019-11-15, 14:41:08
Reply #2

Cyresto

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Rowan,
I'm not sure what you mean- I open the corona in-built material library and select apply to selection, and whilst the colour of the object changes, the material doesn't show, even in renders with a UVW map applied. When I eyedrop the material from the object (with the corona material applied, so I can see it in the material editor) the material is fine in the preview, despite not showing in viewport or renders. If I drag and drop the material nothing changes, as it is the same material as it was when I applied it from the corona library. The issue isn't applying the material.
Cheers!

2019-11-15, 15:07:11
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Have you tried applying real world size option to your objects?
See: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=20616.msg128139#msg128139
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-11-15, 15:11:55
Reply #4

Cyresto

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Maru,
Thanks for the reply, real-world scale was already enabled on both the diffuse and normal maps. I tried disabling them to see if it fixed it, and whilst it darkened the colour of the object, it still yielded no texture on my object, still just the block colour, even in render.

2019-11-15, 15:17:35
Reply #5

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Sorry I misunderstood the question.. (facepalm)

What are your system units set to?

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2019-11-15, 15:17:58
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Could you please send us an example scene like this (with all assets included, using the File>Archive option) and then let me know which upload method you used and what was the file name?
The uploader is here: https://corona-renderer.com/upload

2019-11-15, 15:20:24
Reply #7

Cyresto

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Rowan,
Here's a screen of my units setup- should be on default, whatever that means (I've never messed with them before);

Cheers!

2019-11-15, 15:22:33
Reply #8

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Thanks, in this situation I'd recommend sending us over your scene as Maru suggested.

Can you confirm which versions of Corona and Max you are using?

Thanks,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2019-11-15, 15:24:11
Reply #9

Cyresto

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Maru,
I've sent in an archive, entitled 'Eggscene', I uploaded it directly to the link you send (didn't use the dropbox option, if that's what you mean by upload method).
I was getting an error message when I archived, but still got a zip file from it, so something may be wrong. If there's an issue let me know and I'll try fix that ASAP.
Cheers!

2019-11-15, 15:25:24
Reply #10

Cyresto

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Rowan,
Yep, just sent that. I'm using Max 2020 and Corona 4 hotfix 1.
Cheers!

2019-11-15, 15:49:39
Reply #11

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey,

So I think you need to select "real-world map size" on your objects. If I add a box into your scene I get the same results until I tick "real-world map size" then the material is displayed as it should be.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/3DSMax/files/GUID-27F58B25-C61E-4658-AB1E-7A6C20B23D1F-htm.html

EDIT:
This can be done by adding a UVW map modifier to your objects and selecting "Real-World Map Size"

Thanks,

Rowan
« Last Edit: 2019-11-15, 16:00:28 by rowmanns »
Send me your scene!

2019-11-15, 15:58:42
Reply #12

Cyresto

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Rowan,
Thanks for looking into this, is there a way to apply this setting to my existing objects? I've tried following that link you sent me but I can't find the option for my already existing objects.
Cheers!

2019-11-15, 15:59:47
Reply #13

Cyresto

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Never mind- found it! Works a treat now. Thanks for all your guys help. :)

2019-11-15, 16:00:59
Reply #14

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I'm glad you got it working, I edited my post above with a solution too.

Cheers,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2022-01-13, 10:53:42
Reply #15

Lss

• Users
    • View Profile
Hello!! I am having the same issue today. I already did what rowmanns and maru said but the material still doesn't appear in render.

I am using 3dmax 2021, corona render 7

The thing is that some days ago it was working just fine, and now I am having some problems with some materials in render, but in viewport it looks ok.

Can you help me?

2023-07-31, 12:33:34
Reply #16

kwago04

• Users
    • View Profile

2023-09-01, 15:56:07
Reply #17

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The solution which worked for the original user was enabling the "use real world size" option for their objects. You can either enable it in object settings (for example the 3ds Max procedural geometry like planes, boxes, teapots, etc have it in their UI), or you can add, for example, a UVW Mapping modifier and enable the real world size option there.
You can find out more here: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=20616.0

I hope that helps. If not, please submit a support ticket at https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new