Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 520211 times)

2021-09-27, 08:36:16
Reply #1335

Vuk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you want to run the 3990x with PBO a 1000w PSU is the bare minimum. Just for reference I tested my 3990x WS (cooled with a custom loop) with PBO turned on and it was pulling out around 880-920 watts out of the wall during rendering in Corona. The other 3990x is currently being used as a rendering node, clocked @ 3.7ghz all core and is pulling around 550 watts (cooled with the ice giant).

850w is ok if you are running on stock since on stock is pulling out around 370-390 watts when rendering. My guess is that it would pull out even more when gaming or in any task where you would use both your cpu and gpu at the same time.

2021-09-28, 09:26:24
Reply #1336

Tom

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for your feedback @Vuk,

I've read a review of the FSP Hydro PTM Pro 1200W, although it's a good PSU, it looks like Corsair is doing a better job: so just to be on the safe side, I've chosen the 1600W Corsair AX1600i Digital 80+ Titanium - Modular instead.
Given my GPU is a MSI RTX 3060 Ventus 2X OC - 12GB, the whole machine will have enough power, even when PBO is on.

2021-10-27, 23:26:36
Reply #1337

shoebu23

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello!  Three questions for the tech people here...

1. I may get a new 3990x system built by Puget Systems near Seattle, USA.  Anyone purchase from them, and if so, good experience?

2. RAM:  Certainly will get 128gb, but for the sake of future-proofing-- is 256gb overkill?

3. RTX 3090.  Aside from Corona, wanting to dabble in real-time more with UE and other applications.  Again, is this overkill?  Curious if anyone is like me in this forum and starting to play in that space, and if so- does a cheaper card get the job done just fine?

Thanks for the help!

2021-10-28, 03:49:04
Reply #1338

Tom

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi @shoebu23,

1/ I can't answer point 1 unfortunately as I never bought anything from them.

2/ About the RAM, I recently bought a new 128GB RAM workstation dedicated to Archiviz with Corona: I think 128GB is enough unless you really don't optimize your scenes and/or you work on unbelievably complex scenes with many many objects, huge textures etc ... I would say for ArchViz 64GB is the minimum nowadays, and 128GB is absolutely fine. I don't really see the point to go for more than that, unless you're working with simulation software like Houdini or similar, but I'm not an expert.

3/ About the GPU I don't work with UE so I can't give you any relevant advice here.
The only thing I can say is if you work on regular scenes with Corona, I mean again you're not working on totally un-optimized scenes (eg you make use of proxies to keep a decent overall amount of polygons in your scenes so that you don't need a monster GPU to move in your viewports) you should be fine even with a lower-end GPU. I bought a MSI RTX 3060 OC 12GB and I guess I will be fine for regular ArchViz work. I didn't receive my machine yet so I can't be sure yet of what I'm saying here, but it should be enough for my needs AFAIK.
Hope it helps.

2021-10-28, 08:44:56
Reply #1339

Tom

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

A quick question: I have to choose one of these 2 CPU coolers:

_ Cooler Master ML360 Mirror TR4
_ Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3

The store's advice is to go for the Cooler Master as they say the Noctua may not be enough to cool my 3990X even in a push-pull configuration.

Which one would you choose?

2021-10-28, 19:07:04
Reply #1340

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

A quick question: I have to choose one of these 2 CPU coolers:

_ Cooler Master ML360 Mirror TR4
_ Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3

The store's advice is to go for the Cooler Master as they say the Noctua may not be enough to cool my 3990X even in a push-pull configuration.

Which one would you choose?
Noctua can cool just fine the 3990x, as long ad you don't overclock with the PBO. I'm running the 3990x with Noctua.  I did put a stronger fan on it though for even better temps.  If you was going to go with an AIO I would choose the SilverStone IceGem 360, Has full coverage.  I have this AIO cooler now but am yet to install it.

2021-10-29, 05:10:56
Reply #1341

Tom

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Many thanks  @dfcorona,

I just told the store to go for the Noctua as I feel more comfortable with a regular Heat Fan & Sink rather than an AIO (I've never used one): I feel it's just safer, in the sense that the only point of failure is the fans, but it's an easy fix if one of them fails.
Whereas with an AIO, if the pump fails, you run into much bigger troubles, especially if you're on an urgent job and you're close to the deadline. The only solution I can think of in that case is having a spare AIO just for that particular circumstance, which comes with a cost, plus it's not super easy to replace, at least less easy and more expensive than just replacing a defective fan in the case of regular Heat Fan & Sink cooler.

That being said, I definitely want to enable PBO to maximize the rendering power of my cpu so, not sure if the Noctua will be able to cool it down sufficiently or not ... I will keep you updated  :)

Thanks again

2021-10-29, 08:10:17
Reply #1342

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Many thanks  @dfcorona,

I just told the store to go for the Noctua as I feel more comfortable with a regular Heat Fan & Sink rather than an AIO (I've never used one): I feel it's just safer, in the sense that the only point of failure is the fans, but it's an easy fix if one of them fails.
Whereas with an AIO, if the pump fails, you run into much bigger troubles, especially if you're on an urgent job and you're close to the deadline. The only solution I can think of in that case is having a spare AIO just for that particular circumstance, which comes with a cost, plus it's not super easy to replace, at least less easy and more expensive than just replacing a defective fan in the case of regular Heat Fan & Sink cooler.

That being said, I definitely want to enable PBO to maximize the rendering power of my cpu so, not sure if the Noctua will be able to cool it down sufficiently or not ... I will keep you updated  :)

Thanks again
the noctua will not be able to do sustained pbo.

2021-10-29, 09:46:30
Reply #1343

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Maybe you should look into the IceGiant's ProSiphon Elite. Supposedly it's doesn't feature the "a leak will kill you" feature but offers pretty much all the benefits.

Btw, does anybody know, what is the verdict on PBO and warranty? Supposedly AMD doesn't allow PBO if you want to keep your warranty but on my motherboard from Asus it came enabled by default.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2021-10-29, 10:19:09
Reply #1344

Tom

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Many thanks  @dfcorona,

Thanks again
the noctua will not be able to do sustained pbo.

Really? Well I will probably have to buy an AIO then.
And keep the Noctua as a spare cooler.

2021-10-29, 10:26:22
Reply #1345

Tom

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Maybe you should look into the IceGiant's ProSiphon Elite. Supposedly it's doesn't feature the "a leak will kill you" feature but offers pretty much all the benefits.

Btw, does anybody know, what is the verdict on PBO and warranty? Supposedly AMD doesn't allow PBO if you want to keep your warranty but on my motherboard from Asus it came enabled by default.

The IceGiant's ProSiphon was what the store installed at first. But it's so big I didn't have enough clearance to put my SSD on the M.2 slot, plus I didn't have access to RAM sticks as well, which is problematic if I have to troubleshoot a RAM issue and test the RAM sticks one by one. This is why I chose the Noctua instead: it gives access to the M.2 slot, and if needed, I'm also able to remove all the RAM sticks without removing the cpu cooler.

Your question about the warranty is really interesting: I don't know the answer, but I'm really surprised AMD doesn't allow PBO. I thought enabling it was a required condition to push the cpu to its full frequency, the frequency AMD claims its cpu can run at.
« Last Edit: 2021-10-29, 10:29:56 by CrocsBlancs »

2021-10-29, 21:51:45
Reply #1346

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I'm looking forward to update my current CPU to a 3970x. I'd really appreciate if you could help me decide which components from my current rig can be reused and which ones definitely need to be changed in order to avoid bottleneck and incompatibilities.

CURRENT RIG

Motherboard: AsRock x99 Extreme4 https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/x99%20extreme4/
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15s
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws4 8Gb (x8) http://www.gskill.com/product/165/172/1535953333/F4-2133C15Q-32GRR
GPU: GeForce GTX 980Ti https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/900-series/
PSU: Corsair RM750x https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Power-Supply-Units-Advanced/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020179-NA
Case: Fractal Design Define S https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/define/define-s/black/
« Last Edit: 2021-10-29, 22:16:42 by Basshunter »

2021-10-31, 03:13:15
Reply #1347

Tom

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Sorry I'm not really knowledgeable, I've lost interest for hardware since I didn't have to upgrade my rig myself, so I'm not going to be able to help you a lot here, but my main advice is about your motherboard: have a look on AsRock website and see if 3970X is compatible with it or not. Also look at the BIOS version you  need to run: some older BIOS versions won't allow your motherboard to recognize your new cpu. In that case you will need to flash your BIOS first.
For the rest of your components, I guess that's fine: I mean if they run well at the moment with your current cpu, they will run well with the 3970X (maybe I'm wrong but I don't see why they wouldn't).
Just pay attention to the cooling part: will your Noctua do a good job on cooling the 3970X? Honestly I can't answer that unfortunately, so do your research or keep asking.
The same applies for your case: will the airflow be sufficient to cool the interior of your rig?
One thing you could do is comparing the TDP of your current cpu and the 3970X.
If they are pretty much the same, then you're probably fine not changing your cpu cooler nor your case.
If the tdp of your current cpu is way lower than the 3970X then you may have issue cooling your machine and you probably want to change either the cpu cooler or your case or both.
If the tdp of your current cpu is significantly higher than the 3970X then you can keep the same case and cpu cooler.
Hopefully it helps, and happy for other guys here to comment on what I said :)

2021-11-01, 14:02:37
Reply #1348

jamesdowling

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atmos Visuals
Hi Basshunter,
Unfortunately I think you will have to replace quite a lot....
Motherboard-  That's Intel so you will need to look for an AMD TRX40 compatible MB.
Cooler- The threadripper CPU is very large so the cooler won't be compatible.
Ram - This should work but it is only 2133mhz so that may also affect CPU performance, I'm not sure how the new threadrippers are with memory now so maybe someone else can chime in. I would also suggest going for 4x16gb sticks which will allow you to add more in the future. PSU- should be ok but maybe not with any PBO, personally I would go for a good 1000w so you can upgrade the GPU later if you want.
Case- I think TRX40 motherboards are E-ATX and your case only supports ATX, Micro ATX, Mini ITX,so that would need replacing.

You're probably better off keeping your old machine as a render node and building from scratch to be honest. You could use your GPU and find a really cheap (old) one for the old machine (as corona doesn't use the GPU so it's just for the display).
As for parts this thread is full of suggested parts/ specs so it's worth reading through and that will help with what is best to buy. It is the best resource for threadripper builds I have come across on the internet.

Hope that helps!

2021-11-09, 10:09:26
Reply #1349

balatschaka

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello friends,

what about the 5950x? Looking at Corona Benchmark it is not too far away from 3960x. 3960x avarage is 38s vs 5950x avarage is 44s.
Just looking at these numbers it seems to be a reasonable alternative, espacially as the price of 5950x is about the half of the 3960x.

We have two 3960x workstations wich are pretty solid. Will there be much difference in performance or stability? Am I missing something important?

Thanks