Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 517290 times)

2019-04-12, 14:25:12
Reply #330

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
There is definite relationship between memory (probably through stress on controller) and CPU temperatures. So your offset settings might have properly worked with previously lower load (smaller capacity and speed) but are insufficient now.
Your current temps, clocks, etc.. all sound about right for all the 2990WX systems I've seen (not even my uber-loop goes lower than 58C on stock 250W).

Some common advice I have seen is to first max the memory settings and then play with CPU multiplier afterwards as the correct order.

But you write you can't see any difference in Corona Bench and real scene ? Because I see massive difference, I would even say the difference for 2990WX might be slightly in favour of faster memory than slightly higher overclock if priority should be given. But this is for Corona alone, I haven't seen any other software being so demanding for memory throughput. Cinebench rarely registers it within margin of error.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-04-12, 15:11:04
Reply #331

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
I`ll play with corona benchmark if there is difference between 2133 and 3000, im curious as well. Will post results here.

Regarding temps : if i undervolt it by -0,125mv im losing like 200 points in CB (11 200 vs 11 450) but i can sit on 50C with 3000/14 on memory, which is awesome.
Totally silent PC and all just with 1x Noctua fan.

https://gyazo.com/c95a834f542d363ead0024d78ca70d3e
Coronaut!(c)2011

Supporting Corona in commercial projects since pre-alpha

2019-04-13, 22:17:01
Reply #332

Vuk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just wanted to share with you guys that today after nearly an entire year my Enermax 280 TR4 for the 1950x died. I contacted the seller from whom I always buy my hardware and ironically he told me that I am the last one to call, and that all of his previous clients who ordered the first enermax batch in the end returned it since it broke...
Funny story I was actually monitoring the pc from time to time but today it was idling at around 70 degrees celsius and making a rattling noise. Can't wait for the warranty piece for another month will buy on Monday a brand new Noctua U14S SP3 at least they don't die so easy :).

2019-04-14, 12:27:54
Reply #333

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
So much for the quality of (particularly Enermax) AIO systems :/
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2019-04-18, 07:19:59
Reply #334

Nguyen Ba Dung

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 4pixos - Architectural Visualization
Hi guys,
Got my PC parts assembled yesterday.
- CPU : AMD Ryzen 2990WX
- Mainboard : Aorus X399 Extreme
- RAM : 64GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200Mhz
- VGA : Gigabyte RTX 2080Ti Gaming OC
- PSU : Corsair AX 1600i
- Cooler : Cooler Master MA621P
- Case : Cosmos C700P

I have some questions :
1. Is my PC builds good or anything need to be changed ?
2. In the near future, I want to have 4x2080Tis in this PC, is that possible with my current mainboard, because the Gigabyte card that I'm using already taken 2 slots
3. I ran a test render, a gym interior scene, 720x405pixels, 7% noise level, and the time render is about 9 mins, 3mins slower than my current rendernode which is dual xeon E5-2697v3 @2.6Ghz (28cores, 56threads ) which is weird, isn't it ?

Thank you for any helps !

2019-04-18, 12:23:05
Reply #335

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

I have some questions :
2. In the near future, I want to have 4x2080Tis in this PC, is that possible with my current mainboard, because the Gigabyte card that I'm using already taken 2 slots
3. I ran a test render, a gym interior scene, 720x405pixels, 7% noise level, and the time render is about 9 mins, 3mins slower than my current rendernode which is dual xeon E5-2697v3 @2.6Ghz (28cores, 56threads ) which is weird, isn't it ?

Double check your RAM speeds and latency timings. This is crucial for a 2990wx system.

With 4x2080ti's and a 2990wx you might actually need two PSU's or one of those monster 2000w ones. Typically people run blower style 2-slot graphics cards when they go with high density GPU builds, firstly due to lack of motherboard/GPU spacing, but also due to the fact that heat is drawn through the GPU and exhausted out the back of the PC vs. just dumped into the interior of the case. If you are dead set on using the thick 3 fan GPU's you're going to need to use PCIE riser cables and work out how to exhaust all of that heat from your case.
Vray who?

2019-04-20, 19:26:55
Reply #336

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Everything Agentdark45 writes is correct, this will be 100perc. the memory. You have to set the memory in uefi not just install it.

You have the only board that supports 2990WX and 4x double-slot GPUs. So all good there.

I just want to mention that blower style is not just good option for multi-gpu setup, it is absolute necessity almost, the other only good option being water-loop. In fact, the noise from 4 blowers plus 250W CPU is very good reason to go full-water (and super-tower that supports three thick radiators, not just two).
The pci riser card setup is usually pretty bad since the vertical slot next to glass panel is very poor in air-flow, the GPU is usually 10-15C higher in temps there. Also, you need the GPUs to be next to each other to get full-use of 2xNVLink for memory doubling in apps that support so.

2019-04-21, 16:08:05
Reply #337

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here is something new.

Thermaltake Releases Threadripper-Specific Floe Riing RGB 360

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/thermaltake-flow-riing-tr4-rgb-360,39124.html

2019-04-21, 21:23:03
Reply #338

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We just got a couple of Asus Turbo 2080 Tis and I can recommend them.  They are blower style and with a custom fan curve stay quite cool.  They are laughably loud though.  They sound like a hairdryer.  I’m considering moving that desktop to the back room and running cables to the main office.  If I were to build another rig I might consider watercooling it.

2019-05-02, 10:52:58
Reply #339

Nguyen Ba Dung

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

I have some questions :

Double check your RAM speeds and latency timings. This is crucial for a 2990wx system.

With 4x2080ti's and a 2990wx you might actually need two PSU's or one of those monster 2000w ones. Typically people run blower style 2-slot graphics cards when they go with high density GPU builds, firstly due to lack of motherboard/GPU spacing, but also due to the fact that heat is drawn through the GPU and exhausted out the back of the PC vs. just dumped into the interior of the case. If you are dead set on using the thick 3 fan GPU's you're going to need to use PCIE riser cables and work out how to exhaust all of that heat from your case.

Thank you so much for the explanations. Works now !

2019-05-02, 10:54:15
Reply #340

Nguyen Ba Dung

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Everything Agentdark45 writes is correct, this will be 100perc. the memory. You have to set the memory in uefi not just install it.

You have the only board that supports 2990WX and 4x double-slot GPUs. So all good there.

I just want to mention that blower style is not just good option for multi-gpu setup, it is absolute necessity almost, the other only good option being water-loop. In fact, the noise from 4 blowers plus 250W CPU is very good reason to go full-water (and super-tower that supports three thick radiators, not just two).
The pci riser card setup is usually pretty bad since the vertical slot next to glass panel is very poor in air-flow, the GPU is usually 10-15C higher in temps there. Also, you need the GPUs to be next to each other to get full-use of 2xNVLink for memory doubling in apps that support so.

Thank you Jural, I will consider that when build up full 4 cards

2019-05-13, 05:33:17
Reply #341

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
Hey all, reporting back after the first of two 2990WX builds. Thanks to everyone on this thread for all of the great information. I ended up settling with:

CPU - 2990WX
MB - Meg Creation
RAM - G.Skill TridentZ F4-3000C16D-32GTZR (64GB in total)
Cooler - Silver Arrow TR4

I'm happy to report that it's all going well so far after 1 day. The RAM is clocking in at 3000, and I'm seeing average temperatures of around 68 degrees under full load. The only quirk I ran into, was that Windows failed to complete an install properly. After a few attempts, I found out online that I had to disable the WiFi while installing. Then once Windows was fully installed, I installed the WiFi drivers, then enabled the device.

The case and power supply for the second build will arrive in the next few days. Then once that is set up I will (hopefully) have two powerful CPU's pumping out many frames for my short film.

On a minor note, I've never been a fan of lighting on computing hardware, and in the past I have actively steered away from such features. But, now when I look at the RAM and MB lighting up with the all of the colours, I must say that it is kind of pretty.

Oh, and I bought one of those $5 Windows 10 licenses off Ebay, and it seems to be totally legitimate, no issues!

[Edit]
I forgot to mention that this build is extremely quiet! Though I did house it in an existing high quality Coolermaster ATCS 840 case I had been keeping for a while. This case has 6 high quality large fans that help the air flow smoothly.
« Last Edit: 2019-05-13, 05:44:38 by Njen »

2019-05-13, 19:04:37
Reply #342

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Nice :- ).

Yeah those licences are legit thanks to free licence transfer laws in European Union. It doesn't matter what software vendors say in their EULA (see, we can ignore it like we always did), they can't forbid transfer of any (whether bulk or second-hand) licence.

We can all "thank" Oracle for this heh.

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=d1ff4369-afcc-4879-97fa-7a8afd8b3380

2019-05-13, 19:40:19
Reply #343

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
I'm happy to report that it's all going well so far after 1 day. The RAM is clocking in at 3000, and I'm seeing average temperatures of around 68 degrees under full load.

68 under load ? Thats a lot imo on default clock/voltage. On my totally stock BIOS settings im getting (without undervolting) 58C with NS14 ( single fan ).
« Last Edit: 2019-05-13, 19:46:02 by michaltimko »
Coronaut!(c)2011

Supporting Corona in commercial projects since pre-alpha

2019-05-13, 20:10:43
Reply #344

tallbox

• Active Users
  • George Nicola
    • View Profile
    • Architectural Visualizations | TALLBOX
Hi guys,

I have some questions :

Thank you so much for the explanations. Works now !
At what clock speed you managed to "fix"the problem?
Architectural Visualizations / Deep work practitioner
https://www.tallboxdesign.com