Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 520059 times)

2018-11-27, 18:14:43
Reply #225

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Am I an idiot for thinking I can build a setup based on Asus ROG Srtix 399X?

I don't know enough about power delivery, phases ect to evaluate the question.  I am hoping for a mild overclock, maybe 3.7-3.8 which seems doable without going to crazy power draw. Looking at the DeBauer OC guide for reference. The Strix has an 8pin+4pin power, while the Zenith has 8+8pin. But, apparently both have 8 power phases? Please feel free to correct me, I'm not even sure what the power phases imply exactly.

Really hoping Enermax get their shit together, would be nice to just buy a 360 from them and get decent cooling. Here in Canada all the stock is gone on Amazon, so hopefully, the old revisions have been removed and new stock will be improved. Maybe not though.

Looking forward to your thoughts...definitely starting to get anxious about this build reding through this thread.

Can you get it much cheaper than Aorus Xtreme ? Unless yes, I would not do so for the 100 euro difference. It's inferior board and I say this as owner of X299 Strix for my i9 (but I got it as deal for 200 euros so I was ok with mediocre board). Asus actually upgraded the Intel version (Strix-E into second revision of XE) by revising their poor VRM heatsink. The never did this for AMD version, which tells you all you need. This is not a good board for 2990WX.

All Asus boards in lineup currently have 8 phases and poor heatsinks (hence why they sell stupid 4cm fan for Zenith you can mount to "help").

Reg phases: VRM phases supply juice (voltage) to the CPU. The more of them, the more stable is the voltage output and potentially better heat dissipation given same mosfet quality (so that is yes for high-end boards for x299 & x399 platforms), leading to safer and stable operation (and higher potential of stable overclock). You can get by with less phases but they easily get over-stressed and require considerable active cooling.

Power connectors do just that..bring power to the board :- ), before it feds through the VRM phases as usable voltage for the CPU.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-11-27, 19:49:48
Reply #226

philipb

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Yeah, that's the thing, I got a smoking deal on it. All the high-end boards are around 600 in Canada, and none went on sale for black Friday. I'm talking the zenith, the MEG etc. I got the Strix for around 300, so half that.  If the Strix and the Zenith essentially have the same power delivery then I'll likely take my chances with the Strix. If I'm reading your comments right, it's clearly inferior to a top-shelf board but will still work.

I'm not looking to hit 4.1 OC or something. If I can hit a stable 3.6-3.8 that will be more than good enough. I'm only considering Enermax or Noctua for cooling. Based on the DeBauer graph that's under 300W so hopefully will be workable with the Strix.

I mean, I have the cash for a better board, but not sure if I'll get any benefit from it. Higher OC's look like they need serious cooling and I'm not considering going that route, so a board that gets me to that 3.6-3.8 range should be fine. But then, maybe I am being optimistic.

PS. Juraj, are all the issues with the MEG cleared up? Running solid with public BIOS? Also, appreciate getting your input. Thanks.

2018-11-27, 20:29:56
Reply #227

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Ok, that can be considered good deal, go for it then ;- ). The power delivery is the same, but the heatsink is lot worse, so you will have to account for this with good case airflow, and ideally additional fan pointed towards the VRM.

Btw people are quite hyperbolic with the overclocking numbers in general, 4.1 OC is not "high", it's the practical limit of this CPU and territory where every other board then MEG will be in smokes from VRM.
Also Debauer's numbers are based on manual under-volting, you might not win silicon lottery for that to reach same voltage with stability. But as Peter Sanitra and Michal Timko have demostrated, people have great results mostly.

The BIOS ? Well, depends. For me, yes but as you see elsewhere on this forum, James had issue with stability on latest beta. And I checked the MSI forums, and it seems people with RAID have trouble (but seriously, don't use RAID in your workstation in 2018, it's never good idea, never ever). Apparently the issue is because MSI is slow to release drivers for latest Win10 distribution (Gigabyte releases their drivers in October ahead).

Truth be told looks like this platform overall (x399) just isn't being given much priority, perhaps due to amount of sold units. Niche platform, issues take longer to resolve.
But I would feel safe about this, x399 has still at least two years of lifespan, so all kinks will be ironed out as these boards need to support another generation of hardware.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2018-11-28, 21:02:41
Reply #228

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Looking at some systems for work.

2990WX
64gb 2666Mhz Ram (potential upgrade in the future to 128gb if it becomes necessary)
1070 Ti
Aorus X399 eXtreme
Evo 970 500gb
RM850 PSU
Noctua TR4 Cooler with an additional 120mm fan on the rear.

Any suggestions/comments/critique?

2018-12-02, 23:00:30
Reply #229

philipb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
First things first. Question, is everyone respecting the 68C thermal limit with their manual clocks? I haven't seen anyone recommend going above it. Also, are people undervolting their PBO? Im on ASUS and using the offset to under volt the PBO with - 0.1 CV.

Okay, got my 'cheap' setup going.

ROG Strix 399-e
2990wx
64GB Corsair LP 3200
Enermax Tr4 280 (I know, I know. Actually got it used from Kijiji, its now 9 months old and no issues. Ill RMA it and get the gen 2 asap)
Evo 970

Testing on an open-air bench, with a Quadro 600 until its time to swap out as my main workstation.

For now, can get 37 seconds on Corona Bench and 23-24 on Vray. Playing with both PBO and Manual clock. With PBO the board Throttles at 68C of course and ends up dropping from the initial 3.8 (the max all core PBO from a cool starting point) to anywhere from 3.5-2.9 depending on the task. Corona and Vray benchmarks tend to average around 3.4-3.25. Prime 95 FFT test sends it right down to 2.9-3.0, while the blend test results in 3.4-3.5.  I can get similar performance from a manual OC, but it runs a bit hotter than the 68C recommended, requiring 1.145 CV to maintain a stable-ish 3.7. For now, I'll take the PBO result and be happy with that.

Some observations...
-Strix board seems to be doing fine so far. VRM has gone up to 76C (open bench of course). Power delivery has been adequate for what I'm doing. It's definitely not a limiting factor at this level of Performance/thermal limit. That being said, I need to do longer term testing. I remember seeing someone with a MEG board say they were getting stable 3.8 Manual with 1.1 CV. definitely need much more here, 1.14-1.15 to get close to stable, and then my cooling becomes an issue..

- Enermax is doing a decent job. hope it doesn't explode. When I RMA the gen 1 for gen 2 ill see if I can upgrade to 360.

- I like this new type of Overclocking. The thermal limit is set and the MOBO does all the work. That's a step forward. Long as the board isn't shit (and mine might be) if you want better performance, just buy better cooling.

2018-12-04, 16:34:17
Reply #230

PsychoBoyJack

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I 'm  using Noctua NH u14s with double mounted fan to cool my system.
I' m curious about other idle and "loaded" temps with  solutions like wraithripper, enermax, or custom.

my Tdies are :  idle 28-29 C  and loaded 48-49 C . Room temp is 20 C.

2018-12-05, 04:40:42
Reply #231

philipb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I' m curious about other idle and "loaded" temps with  solutions like wraithripper, enermax, or custom.

Have you turned on PBO, AMD's automatic overclocking?

If your temps aren't 68C at Load then you are leaving a good deal of performance on the table. PBO should overclock your CPU until it hits its thermal limit at 68C. On ASUS boards this feature is called performance enhancement in the BIOS. Not sure what its called for other boards. But maybe you are holding back for noise, or VRM overheat?

There are comparisons out there. Google around. From what I saw Wraith and Noctua are neck and neck, the silver arrow is a bit better, and Enermax is the winner, maybe by 6-10C over Noctua. But there have been lots of problems with the Liqtech rev.1, huge fail rate, and some leaking. Rev.2 maybe be better, but the jury is still out.

On a personal note, I have been waiting like 5 business days for a proper RMA response from Enermax. Just terrible. Unfortunately, they are the only game in town right now on the AIO side.

2018-12-05, 14:04:24
Reply #232

PsychoBoyJack

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I 'm a bit afraid to overclock and burn my MB/CPU. Isn't it dangerous (overheat and crash/burn/die ?) ? doesn't it reduce the components lifespan ?
« Last Edit: 2018-12-05, 14:10:40 by PsychoBoyJack »

2018-12-05, 21:57:25
Reply #233

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I 'm a bit afraid to overclock and burn my MB/CPU. Isn't it dangerous (overheat and crash/burn/die ?) ? doesn't it reduce the components lifespan ?

If done properly and cooling is sufficient to keep the dies below their max temp you should be fine

2018-12-06, 11:20:05
Reply #234

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It only took 6 months, but the II generation of Liqtech is now publicly available after going through two iterations within same timeframe. Since this is basically 4th edition, perhaps it's finally bug-free :- ) ?

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/enermax-launches-liqtech-iiuniversal-aio-liquid-cooler-with-tdp-500-watts.html

2018-12-06, 12:55:26
Reply #235

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Looking at some systems for work.

2990WX
64gb 2666Mhz Ram (potential upgrade in the future to 128gb if it becomes necessary)
1070 Ti
Aorus X399 eXtreme
Evo 970 500gb
RM850 PSU
Noctua TR4 Cooler with an additional 120mm fan on the rear.

Any suggestions/comments/critique?

@Juraj you seem to be well informed. Could you give any crit to the above spec? Or make any swaps/changes? Im not looking to overclock but if the thermals allow for it i wouldnt mind seeing where i can get to with it.

2018-12-08, 15:05:01
Reply #236

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Don't see anything to critique, that will work well :- ). If you could find withing similar price range, or close-enough, a 2933 memory, I would do that as the difference can be noticed with Corona and other memory intensive workloads, but it's not crucial.

2018-12-08, 20:02:53
Reply #237

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile

There is literally zero benefits running two fans on NH14 (pull - push). I noticed more noise while having 2 fans running and i did 2x 4hr test with 1 and 2 fans and difference was 1C.
Problem is that its single heatsink design. Hope they will release NH15 in future.
« Last Edit: 2018-12-09, 12:16:58 by michaltimko »
Coronaut!(c)2011

Supporting Corona in commercial projects since pre-alpha

2018-12-08, 20:25:02
Reply #238

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
They were very reluctant to make changes that would accomodate D15 on TR4 and I think they denied working on anything for TR4 on this year's Computex.

It would require new positioning for the heatpipes and while that might seem like minor thing, Noctua says it takes them half a year of work to make black version of their latest 120mm Sterrox fan.
I really wouldn't count on them releasing D15 for TR4 any soon..if ever.

2018-12-09, 00:24:13
Reply #239

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
They were very reluctant to make changes that would accomodate D15 on TR4 and I think they denied working on anything for TR4 on this year's Computex.

It would require new positioning for the heatpipes and while that might seem like minor thing, Noctua says it takes them half a year of work to make black version of their latest 120mm Sterrox fan.
I really wouldn't count on them releasing D15 for TR4 any soon..if ever.

Are there any better cooling solutions i should be considering?