Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 519952 times)

2018-09-17, 12:23:27
Reply #90

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
That sounds rather touchy.  Would you get that board again?

Sadly I would, I do not see the results of the other boards come even close.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-09-17, 15:15:25
Reply #91

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
i just leave this here , 2019 AMD EPIC 64 core, 12k Cinebench score

https://www.hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/122222-amd-7nm-64c128t-epyc-benchmark-leaks/
Noemotion.net - www.noemotion.net
Peter Sanitra - www.psanitra.com
Noemotionhdrs.net - www.noemotionhdrs.net

2018-09-17, 15:30:16
Reply #92

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Looks pretty nice :- ).

Just received DHL info that Cyberport is sending me another MSI x399 the one I originally ordered one month ago, that they delived B350 instead and I asked for refund by letter, email, everything...
Last time I am ordering from Germany, the communication barrier is way too strong...
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2018-09-18, 20:57:34
Reply #93

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Good & valuable info about Windows slow down...

"Threadripper 2990WX Performance Regressions? Not so fast..." (Level1Techs@YouTube)

2018-09-19, 21:12:43
Reply #94

Radim Razzak

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i just leave this here , 2019 AMD EPIC 64 core, 12k Cinebench score

https://www.hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/122222-amd-7nm-64c128t-epyc-benchmark-leaks/

For those speaking czech there is an article which explains why this is most likely to be a fake...

https://www.cnews.cz/amd-7nm-procesory-zen2-epyc-ryzen-3000-cas-vydani

2018-09-21, 11:50:30
Reply #95

vansan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So what you guys think about Noctua NH U14S TR4 with addional fan?
Is it enough for 2990wx to work without throttling, or better wait for more powerful air cooler?

2018-09-21, 11:57:08
Reply #96

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I probably suggest against doing it. I know how my i9 7980XE had to keep full spin (1500rpms) of dual fans on much bigger NH-D15.

Is there still no review of the other one ?

2018-09-21, 13:26:59
Reply #97

vansan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I probably suggest against doing it. I know how my i9 7980XE had to keep full spin (1500rpms) of dual fans on much bigger NH-D15.

Is there still no review of the other one ?
I'd buy Silver Arrow TR4, if it ever exist, can't find it anywhere.
By the way, Juraj, what reliable AIO water cooler would you suggest?
I'm not going to overclock cpu.

2018-09-21, 13:43:24
Reply #98

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It's not like you can choose, there is exactly one AIO available, in two revisions :- ).

Enermax LiqTech 360 II. According to Enermax rep I spoke to, even the I version should have addressed issue but there is no way of knowing what rev you are buying, so buying second version is the only safe bet.
Let's presume it's now without catastrophic faults :- ).

If you go this way, I highly suggest swapping the fans for latest Noctua A12. Sadly these are not available in black (F12 is) but they are super powerful/silent.

EDIT:

OK, looks like there is now also this. https://www.anandtech.com/show/13385/asus-unveils-rog-ryujin-aio-lcses-for-amds-cpus

Comes with Industrial version of Noctua F12. Not a bad deal.
« Last Edit: 2018-09-21, 19:31:17 by Juraj Talcik »

2018-09-23, 12:47:03
Reply #99

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
OK, as of right now, I can't suggest MSI MEG x399 AT ALL. And I am not sure I can suggest buying 2990WX until there is better board out there.

There is zero bios support. Last public one was 6 weeks ago ! I have big troubles with repeated boot into microcache loading with no apparent solution.

Fun fact: The recent Windows update came with microcode (yup, the same one in July) and capped the turbos severly from 4.0Ghz to 3.5Ghz. Uninstalling the patch and deleting mcupdate dlls (shitty procedure as you need to disable trustedinstaller in Win10) did not return anything. Manually forcing higher turbos (OC) in uefi only causes another mysterious boot issue, C5. Yup, there is no such thing as C5 Q-code in manual as of now.

You guys have no idea how disappointed I am in this. I've no idea what to actually do. Should I replace the board with some basic stuff like Taichi until x499 is here after winter ? Is x499 even coming ? Or wait who knows how long until MSI bothers to actually publish new uefi fix.

2018-09-23, 18:28:22
Reply #100

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I was given beta bios. It seemingly fixed my issues for now. I don't want to say it prematurely though...

Anyway, do not buy stuff which needs private beta bios for sakes.

2018-09-23, 20:12:33
Reply #101

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
 Building - TR 2990WX Programmers Workstation: Linus Torvalds' Edition (sort of)! (Level1Techs)
Assuming you wish to have 24/7 operating machine without hiccups for the next couple of years.
Headache free ;)

2018-09-23, 20:22:37
Reply #102

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Building - TR 2990WX Programmers Workstation: Linus Torvalds' Edition (sort of)! (Level1Techs)
Assuming you wish to have 24/7 operating machine without hiccups for the next couple of years.
Headache free ;)

Are you trying to be funny or what ? I fail to see the sarcasm.
 Read his description:

Far as we know The TX4 bios is otherwise not available anywhere else. The fixes here will be integrated with the updated AGESA in just a few weeks, hopefully!

So he is using private beta bios as well to even get it working. Look up the Aorus Extreme review on previous page to see what "headache free" machine it makes for.

And good luck with 24/7 for years with the Enermax AIO...

2018-09-23, 20:47:45
Reply #103

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I was given beta bios. It seemingly fixed my issues for now. I don't want to say it prematurely though...

Anyway, do not buy stuff which needs private beta bios for sakes.

That’s insane and super frustrating for sure.  I’m waiting on the sidelines hoping a clear solution emerges.

I guess what’s unclear to me is the quantifiable difference if you were to go with a Taichi.  How much less of an ovecock could you get?  4.0 vs 4.1?  And do people ever watercool their VRMs with an aftermarket waterblock?

Anyway, too bad the MEG has been so frustrating!  And yeah...never again will I buy Enermax.  I’m thinking my 2990 build will be custom water.  I had good luck with that a few years back.

2018-09-24, 09:40:52
Reply #104

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It's definitely not 4.0 vs 4.1. Both are only imho reachable by MEG & Zenith to be fully stable under actual load, and Zenith only with heavy air cooling towards VRM.

Water cooling VRM heatsink isn't that effective actually as the issue with them being overload stands. The tests on previous page (done in open bench) show big discrepancy between heatsink and the core temps. Even with fans blowing, they approach 120C a point where it starts to be shaky.

But I don't think that's issue, it's more than powerful if you settle somewhere between 3.6/3.7 @ 350W +/- and with good airflow can keep VRM passive again. And I don't know, but last thing I would want is 4cm fan spinning inside the case :- ).

Btw, the water loop is so silent (it's inaudible) that this is first time I only hear the PSU..and its rattling industrial fan kind of throws me off :- ). Maybe Seasonic should stop using the fluid bearings.