Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 520054 times)

2019-12-01, 22:05:11
Reply #675

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • johny.mrazko.visualization
@Juraj

is it possible to install 2 64gb sets (4x16gb) https://www.mironet.cz/gskill-ripjaws-v-black-series-64gb-4x-16gb-ddr4-3200mhz-16181838+dp257336/ to acquire 128gb? would it work correctly in quad channel? Or does it have to be single set ? (8x16 or 4x32)

2019-12-02, 01:30:32
Reply #676

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yes of course, that should work. Memory doesn't have to come in sets, it just improves the chance everything will work well.

Memory is fickle thing, sometimes you'll be able to get running completely different sets, of different companies even sometimes even high-end single set will prove troublesome for no particular reason.
Some people like to play it save by only buying from QVL lists of manufacturers but those are extremely limited.

Now with Zen architecture in particular, you might not be guaranteed to get the memory running at listed specs, or with accompanying XMP profile. That 3200 CL16 is ideal scenario, but more realistic is 2933 CL15/16 with 8x16GB.
You'll have to test it once you buy it only, risk of doing business in self-building.

With TRX40 boards, I've seen in Gigabyte manual that 4x32GB (3200) officially supports higher frequency than 8x16GB (2667 only, but of course, 2993 has been proven to work for X399 before just fine). So that's interesting, but I haven't seen anyone test it.
It's cool solution though, as it open up path to potential 256GB in future should anyone want that :- ).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-12-02, 14:10:06
Reply #677

STHA

• Active Users
    • View Profile
HI

I am looking to build 3950x - Noctua + with dual gpu.

So I spent the whole weekend reading and watching reviews......,

And I was looking at this last night, but also found this right now on sale, any opinions before I jump in and hopefuly not cry after.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Crystal-Airflow-Tempered-Gaming/dp/B07MSQ63WS?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_D_f99142ba_66&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&th=1

Thanks in advance

2019-12-02, 14:27:22
Reply #678

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I would cry from the ugliness alone but taste for case is personal :- ). Just kidding.

More importantly, it isn't a good case. https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3448-corsair-680x-rgb-high-airflow-case-review

As you can see, despite coming with 4 fans as stock, it performs worse than super silent Define R6 with only 3 low-rpm fans. That's pretty bad for such big case.
The front glass panel is suffocating the interior by 8 degrees, despite offering no accoustic advantage.

The case is style over substance. There are many cases that are both at same time without compromise.

Since 2xxx cards draw a lot of power & heat, consider the PCI slots spacing for your choice of motherboard. With open air GPUs, it's good to have at least one slot between them and that will limit where you will position other PCI-e cards such as drives extensions.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2019-12-02, 14:31:52
Reply #679

STHA

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the advice Juraj,, I will carry on searching.

yes, I prefer square cases. :)
unless I get a tile drill and drill  few holes in the glass panel. :)

btw so with dual air gpu i am assuming I have to go full tower.
« Last Edit: 2019-12-02, 14:39:25 by STHA »

2019-12-02, 14:36:33
Reply #680

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Thanks for the advice Juraj,, I will carry on searching.

yes, I prefer square cases.
unless I get a tile drill and drill  few holes in the glass panel. :)

You can do that, I've seen some acrylic perforated panels, it was quite cool :- ).

I would look for case that has really good airflow because two GPUs + 3950 will output 800W of heat into case, that's a lot.
(Unless you go for blower-style GPUs which are somewhat noisy but keep the case cool).

2019-12-02, 19:40:59
Reply #681

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Regarding overclock on Threadrippers, I liked this video

Very much not worth it, you add between 100 to 300W for very negligible multithreaded increase and inversely decrease in single-core performance.

This guy also had super ideal setup, room ambient 21C, and open-air case and fans spinning at 1400RPM on Alpha Zenith II which has tiny VRM fans that were spinning. With setup this good, the temps were high ( 70 +/- C) but very good for the stock boost of almost 3.85 GHz (!) all-core, but overclocked up to 90C. Once again, in super ideal setup, add 3-4 for realistic room ambient, and another for Case. The limit for shut-down is 95 it looks.

Imho this is good news, there wasn't any point to overclock with previous gen, but it's fully pointless with 3xxx. The CPU is perfectly binned, comes soldered and has great heatspreader. (all 3 are exact opposite of my i9 build haha, which benefits massively from overclock to detriment of terrible temperatures even after delidding).

I have such a strong urge to build 3970X, but I'll wait for the January info. On other hand, I received all parts for 3950X build today, and I will be building it in next few days.

2019-12-03, 09:50:15
Reply #682

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This looks a bit high on custom loop imho. If you look at that :

You'll see that JayZ is getting max 74°C @4.2GHz with CPU and GPU cooled in his custom loop. That's a huge difference there. He also run a shitload of radiators on this setup (and AMD might also have chosen a golden sample for him).
« Last Edit: 2019-12-03, 09:58:21 by Fluss »

2019-12-03, 10:40:24
Reply #683

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
A big limitation in temperatures is down to thermal transfer, a big heatspreader already helps hence why only TR4 designed coolers should be used, but then the CPU block makes big difference.

I came upon these guys yesterday and looks like they do a very high-end parts. The "competitor" in their comparison graphs is Heatkiller IV, the best block on market already,so if their product could improve upon that, it would really be something.

https://optimuspc.com/products/absolute-cpu-block-threadripper-3

2019-12-03, 10:43:57
Reply #684

Maybejensen

• Active Users
  • MaybeJensen - Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Maybejensen
I have such a strong urge to build 3970X, but I'll wait for the January info. On other hand, I received all parts for 3950X build today, and I will be building it in next few days.
Please do a separate post once you finish that build!
I would love to hear your thoughts, think I'll be building my own workstation with the 3950x in January.
MAYBEJENSEN I Working on something I  Ryzen 3950x / RTX 3080

2019-12-03, 10:45:30
Reply #685

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That looks like a beast indeed, and it's absolutely gorgeous! Notice JayZ and the guy in the other video are both using the same heatspreader, hence my surprise

2019-12-03, 11:04:10
Reply #686

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
That looks like a beast indeed, and it's absolutely gorgeous! Notice JayZ and the guy in the other video are both using the same heatspreader, hence my surprise

They're using Phanteks Glacier C399A from 2017, maybe the second block to have come to TR platform, at that time, EK had their failed version with small coverage (they just added supports to their regular non-TR block).
That one is roughly 4C worse than the average (XSPC Raystorm or EKWB Supremacy STR4), and 6C worse than the current best, HK IV. Not bad block at all, but neither the best.

I wonder how much the above from Optimus is just hype but I presume there will be some reviews in upcoming weeks. 200 dollars is solid amount of money but it's looking nicely overbuilt.

2019-12-03, 11:31:40
Reply #687

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So there is still room for better temps, I'm just wondering why there are so many discrepancies between the two build, one hitting 90C at 4.15 and the other one hitting 74C @4.2.

That 3970x is really interesting and I was shocked when I saw the CB20 score. My dual-Xeon 2696v4 scores 11800 cb - 34s corona bench. 17400 cb @stock is a massive boost! Oo

How does it behave on air with something like a D15? I'm not a big fan of loops in Workstations.

2019-12-03, 11:36:59
Reply #688

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
How does it behave on air with something like a D15? I'm not a big fan of loops in Workstations.

Noctua's best towers, NH-D15 and U12a are not available for TR4 at the moment. There is a prototyp of DH-15 TR4 existing since early 2018, and it's still not available, should be somewhere in H1 2020. Noctua really takes its time.

UH-14s TR4 temps were quoted a page or two ago, 70-80 something in stock.

Your dual-xeon has really nice Corona score, sadly underscoring that Threadrippers still don't live up to their potential in Corona, perhaps due to memory latency? It would be interesting to test, if some sort of settings (for example high GI/AA samples, etc..) don't offset this behaviour.
It would have to be tested in ray/s benchmark though, and ignore the current 1.3 benchmark.