Author Topic: understanding UVWCoords RE  (Read 2094 times)

2017-02-13, 13:24:44

3DsChobo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So iI am trying to replace the texture of a plane in an animation in Post using the UVW Renderelement for the first time.
I was assuming in just need to set the UVW Map channel on the desired Object to the same value as in the renderelement and everything else would not show.

In the end some geometry showed up black some was shaded the way i was expecting my desired object to be and some had a solid color.
Whats even more confusing is that the picture completely changes when using a different channel ID in the renderelements although in the
scene nothing changed (except my desired object that was again matching the channel ID in the RE setting)

Do I have to render my plane isolated to get what i want or did i mess up the setup?

2017-02-13, 17:45:53
Reply #1

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Are you using the cgeometry_uvwcoords render element? the images you posted look really weird.... but I'm not all that surprised, as the uvwcoords element can get really janky.

All you have to do is give your plane a unique map channel,  then select that channel ID in your render element and then it should be the only thing visible.

2017-02-13, 17:55:52
Reply #2

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Did some more tests... and noticed that if the selected channel ID # in the element is odd rather than even it goes janky. Looks like a bug.

2017-02-13, 18:26:59
Reply #3

3DsChobo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes i am using the cgeometry_uvwcoords RE and i did it exactly like you did in the 2nd example with the plane and an extra uvw map modifier.
but i dont think that an uneven map id is the cause since i first tested it on map id channel 10 for i thought there would be no other thing in the scene with a 10.
When the image came out and since i wasnt the one to build the scene i thought ill try some other extreme value that definitely would not be on any other object (67).

In both cases the images were not as expected

2017-02-13, 18:31:08
Reply #4

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hmmmm, try adding a uvw mapping clear modifier on  all objects but your plane.

.... or try adding the 'Material' modifier to all your objects, change the id for everything but your plane to 1 and then your plane to 2
« Last Edit: 2017-02-13, 18:43:55 by mferster »