Author Topic: Crash with OSL wParallax  (Read 8814 times)

2023-08-02, 17:40:48
Reply #30

Ink Visual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yep, this is definately not solved yet.
We would love to use it in production, but simply cannot due to instability.

2023-08-03, 01:52:43
Reply #31

gabor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Guys, you should try the shadersbox method, also from wParallax. It uses an already unwrapped box, you just have to apply the exr map to it. For me, it's working fine with the same maps as the osl version, but without crasing max. There are no osl maps in the scene, but the windows have the same 3d effect.

2023-08-03, 10:26:38
Reply #32

Ink Visual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The box method is just not as convenient as using simple plane behind the window. It's much harder to set up procedurally if there are many building types involved.
Planes + OSL are so much better and faster to use, if only they weren't crashing.

2023-08-03, 13:20:34
Reply #33

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Sorry for the lack of updates. According to the minidump that we received, the crash is inside 3ds Max and it can be reproduced without having Corona installed at all.
If you are not happy about something and you have a scene and/or minidump, please always contact us about it here: https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
The best thing we can do here is to contact Autodesk, and for this to work out we also need your permission to share your scenes/minidumps with them.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-09-07, 02:43:41
Reply #34

denyskozakov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • behance.net
Hey! I still have this problem, any updates about this? Thanks!
You can contact me by: deniskozakov92@gmail.com
Behance: https://www.behance.net/denyskozakov

2023-09-10, 22:46:20
Reply #35

wparallax

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

Indeed, the crash issue is very very strange, we are trying to find some solutions, but at the moment, best option is to use lower res maps (2K, 1K), or the Box Method. The OSL seems to be pretty clean, already asked two OSL devs to double check.

What I am trying now is to convert EXRs to TX files, someone has suggested that it is a very efficient way to render textures because it automatically downscales and upscales the textures depending how far or close you are to the plane.  TX format also loads much faster and allows for thousands of planes to be rendered without running out of RAM.  So far, some tests were quite successful with this format, aside from some error messages by corona/vray renderers, but it didn't affect the rendering. 

If you have access to Retail Pack 2, we added an Experimental File into Retail Pack 2 folder on gumroad, please give it a try. 

If anyone else without Retail 2 access, is interested to try the mipmapping tx file type, please let me know.

Best,
Art

Makers of parallax maps
Art Maknev | wparallax.com