Author Topic: Wet Look  (Read 20666 times)

2016-03-10, 16:18:07
Reply #15

dubcat

• Active Users
  • ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ meow
    • View Profile
Change IOR in the wet material to 999.
Throw a Color Correction on the wet mask and adjust until you get the effect you want.
Change the IOR back to 1.33 when you are done.
             ___
    _] [__|OO|
   (____|___|     https://www.twitch.tv/dubca7 / https://soundcloud.com/dubca7 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) choo choo

2016-03-11, 10:43:05
Reply #16

K u r a i

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Change IOR in the wet material to 999.
Throw a Color Correction on the wet mask and adjust until you get the effect you want.
Change the IOR back to 1.33 when you are done.

Dubcat... I experimented with your technique and Maru's Noise Map and Frankensteined his with yours to produce something I was happy with.
I still don't know what's going on.... but it pointed me in the right direction. Thanks.

2016-03-11, 11:03:37
Reply #17

K u r a i

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Patchy effect happens in glossiness map which is quite contrasty.

Wet effect happens when the diffuse is made darker than when dry, and glossiness is higher.

I like Dubcat's setup :- ) That is bit more flexible. The mix map shouldn't be that extreme though, it should basically mix 100perc. Wet, and 50perc wet, for example.

Are you ever going to do a 101 Basics of CG vid.....people have been banging on for years about..... or has that bird flown the nest?

When it comes to understanding stuff... a YouTube vid (with voiceover) is so much better than anything written.
While Corona has done many "How to" vids.... they don't really talk about CG as an art-form. And I see on your Facebook page you title yourself as an "Artist".... not a designer.

2016-03-11, 11:14:14
Reply #18

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
well, the 'artist' I think is a category, there is no other. I never call myself that, or actually anything. I just do stuff.

Yes, I am preparing two videos, one about Daylight, the other about materials. Although I would love to make the second one when Corona gets rid of the glossiness curve, which makes any "rules" wrong :- (

It's not as easy as people think though, I have lot of work daily, family I have to help and visit, and to create 1 hour of video, takes about 20 hours of preparation. Or even to start.... which is why I am much better teacher "real-time", where I can just talk,
then organizing myself to do proper job.
I answer tons of stuff people ask me, that is very easy compared to it. Everything else stresses me quite a lot, and I am in lot of stress already in life.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-03-11, 11:54:54
Reply #19

Nekrobul

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
well, the 'artist' I think is a category, there is no other. I never call myself that, or actually anything. I just do stuff.

Yes, I am preparing two videos, one about Daylight, the other about materials. Although I would love to make the second one when Corona gets rid of the glossiness curve, which makes any "rules" wrong :- (

It's not as easy as people think though, I have lot of work daily, family I have to help and visit, and to create 1 hour of video, takes about 20 hours of preparation. Or even to start.... which is why I am much better teacher "real-time", where I can just talk,
I answer tons of stuff people ask me, that is very easy compared to it. Everything else stresses me quite a lot, and I am in lot of stress already in life.

---------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.blackbellstudio.com/
https://www.behance.net/blackbell3d
CEO at "Blackbell Studio"

2016-03-11, 13:26:53
Reply #20

K u r a i

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I am really happy you are doing video tuts :)))
Sometimes just the smallest piece of knowledge can make big differences... especially to your confidence. CG is not easy. It's one of the hardest things I have tried to learn.
While Corona has really helped the industry... there are still too much to consider to get good results.

Even a DVD that you could post or offer for download (for money) would cover the time and care to produce it.
And I am sure it would be popular.

Alex Hogrefe started doing a free site for Photoshop architecture illustration techniques many years ago based on his student portfolio. Now he lectures all over the place at colleges and has produced several books for sale.
https://visualizingarchitecture.com/

2016-03-11, 13:33:12
Reply #21

K u r a i

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Just to cheer you up.... your work is the benchmark for me that I compare myself to.... and that inspires me.
I study it in detail.... and ask myself...."How the damn did he do that?" Which pushes me to improve further.

Someone wise once told me that as you get older... you want to be paid more more for doing less.... because the info and experience
you have accumulated over the years will be very valuable. So I am sure one day.... all this hard work will reap rewards :)

2016-03-11, 16:28:31
Reply #22

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Dubcat... I experimented with your technique and Maru's Noise Map and Frankensteined his with yours to produce something I was happy with.
I still don't know what's going on.... but it pointed me in the right direction. Thanks.

Unless you're trying to recreate puddles on the wood, you need to map glossiness and bump on wet material as well. Just make sure that wet material has a little bit darker diffuse and a little bit brighter glossiness. I did quick and lazy setup to show what i'm talking about. Of course, it's better to control maps by color correctional nodes or by modifying texture externally, instead of changing map's amount like i did.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-03-11, 16:35:45
Reply #23

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
today we started working on it
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-03-11, 16:45:54
Reply #24

K u r a i

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Unless you're trying to recreate puddles on the wood, you need to map glossiness and bump on wet material as well. Just make sure that wet material has a little bit darker diffuse and a little bit brighter glossiness. I did quick and lazy setup to show what i'm talking about. Of course, it's better to control maps by color correctional nodes or by modifying texture externally, instead of changing map's amount like i did.

Thanks for the reply.... and the info.
Really helps the scene (alot) when you have a wet look. I noticed you posted a wet tarmac sample.... which is useful.

What I want to master next is vertical wood or concrete. Where the rain has wet the top of a structure, while the bottom is dry. Any tips on this problem...?

2016-03-11, 16:52:40
Reply #25

K u r a i

• Active Users
    • View Profile

What... you started working on Glossiness curve or vid tuts?

2016-03-11, 16:54:31
Reply #26

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
What I want to master next is vertical wood or concrete. Where the rain has wet the top of a structure, while the bottom is dry. Any tips on this problem...?

You have to paint such (B&W) mask manually in Photoshop. And either use it as glossiness map, or Dubcat's approach (better, more flexible), as mask in blend material between dry and wet version of same material.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-03-12, 05:08:14
Reply #27

dubcat

• Active Users
  • ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ meow
    • View Profile
I'm happy for you, keep it up ! :)

RIP underwear, best news this year :D
             ___
    _] [__|OO|
   (____|___|     https://www.twitch.tv/dubca7 / https://soundcloud.com/dubca7 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) choo choo

2016-03-18, 12:04:46
Reply #28

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

Some ideas: top/bottom material or Corona's AO. Maybe a creative use of both?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-03-18, 12:25:00
Reply #29

K u r a i

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Some ideas: top/bottom material or Corona's AO. Maybe a creative use of both?

Many thanks for the reply. I will check them out.
I spend weeks in Max designing a good model only to let things down by little details. All help is appreciated.

Also, I just posted a new thread on "Render Size". Maybe you can shed some light on this topic?