Author Topic: Forest way  (Read 29808 times)

2014-10-07, 10:40:20
Reply #16

pressenter

• Active Users
  • PressEnter Design
    • View Profile
    • PressEnter Design
These do look truly fantastic! Maybe you could share a little bit more about the image? Is there a lot of post? What do your materials look like etc? ;)

Best
S.

2014-10-07, 10:41:22
Reply #17

blank...

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Stunning, absolutely gorgeous. No way any layman would ever guess this is CG.

2014-10-07, 10:56:53
Reply #18

3ds-shaman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Amazing? Serj - you are the best

2014-10-07, 12:43:36
Reply #20

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The contrast is superb here. Would like to know how much PP went into this piece.

2014-10-07, 13:04:51
Reply #21

Spike Spigel

• Active Users
  • 3D-Freelancer
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot!
The scene is very simple. It's just ground with a road in centre. And a few trees that I have builded in GrowFX. I use Forest pack Pro to scatter trees grass and dead leaves on the ground. For lighting I have used spherical HDRI from VizPeople.
First trick is a Vertex Color map, that used to make diversity of leaf colors. It's great and very useful feature of GrowFX.
Second trick is a tree models. There are no any good trees models in any paks (like Evermotion). So it's only one way - you should make it by yourself. And GrowFX is excellent tool for this.
And finally is good materials. On first look material for vegetation is not so difficult. But here is all about balance between Diffuse, Translucence and Reflection. I spent A LOT OF TIME by testing it. And now you see the result.
In attachments you can see a few screenshots with my scene and trees and base material for leaves. Enjoy :)

PS. There is almost no postwork on those images. Only a little bit color correction, vignette and chromatic aberration.

2014-10-07, 13:16:12
Reply #22

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Great Stuff! Your words about growfx/shaders etc match exactly my experiences with that. GrowFx was the main reason why I was pushing Ondra to implement VertexColors :D
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2014-10-07, 16:11:22
Reply #23

vkiuru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Very very nice!

But as always with leaves I'm wondering if your material still works when you rotate the camera so that sunlight comes from behind the camera, or rotated about 20-30 degrees away from the camera? I think with such high translucency your leaves a) won't generate enough diffuse when lit from front side and b) won't generate enough contrast in shadow areas. So, could you please render a test with the same material but the sunlight comes from behind the camera, approximately? Out of curiosity! :)

2014-10-07, 16:35:11
Reply #24

Spike Spigel

• Active Users
  • 3D-Freelancer
    • View Profile
vkiuru
I'm very good understand you talking about :). And of course I know about this "problem". In my case I tested both sides. May be later i'll show here another-side render.

2014-10-07, 18:56:01
Reply #25

vkiuru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
vkiuru
I'm very good understand you talking about :). And of course I know about this "problem". In my case I tested both sides. May be later i'll show here another-side render.

Thanks! That is the best balance of greens I've seen so far.

2014-10-07, 21:06:20
Reply #26

Vic3D

• Users
    • View Profile
Amazing! What about render time? If this is not confidential?

2014-10-08, 07:32:21
Reply #27

RobSteady

• Active Users
    • View Profile
These look awesome!!
Great work. Would you mind sharing some of your tree models?

2014-10-08, 09:06:42
Reply #28

Spike Spigel

• Active Users
  • 3D-Freelancer
    • View Profile
Rendertime is about 3-4 hours on my i7-3930. And scene took about 17Gb RAM for render.

RobSteady
I prepare my own Model-Pack and I'll drop it on turbosquid soon.

2014-10-08, 12:47:55
Reply #29

londonvisuals

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Would you mind sharing some of your tree models?

rofl, i was waiting for this post :D