Author Topic: octane 4  (Read 9989 times)

2018-03-20, 08:59:06

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
a lot of free and ai talk right there

2018-03-20, 09:52:41
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Wow, mindblowing. Would be interesting to try it.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-03-20, 10:53:26
Reply #2

rozpustelnik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I wonder what will happen if Corona gets almost instant GPU denoiser working with IR...

2018-03-20, 11:11:42
Reply #3

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
I wonder what will happen if Corona gets almost instant GPU denoiser working with IR...

Minds will be blown :))
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn

2018-03-20, 11:36:38
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I am impressed.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-03-20, 12:22:29
Reply #5

NicolasC

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
  • CG supervisor / teacher / artist
    • View Profile
Shut up and take my money :)
Nicolas Caplat
CG supervisor / teacher / artist

2018-04-16, 14:27:16
Reply #6

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes really impressive! What's more, it will be free for users with equal or less than 2 GPUs (limited to one PC).

2018-04-17, 08:26:14
Reply #7

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
Nice breakdown of the presentation.
It really seems unreal...Well, it's similar to unreal(TM).

You get an excellent, easy-to-use,  soon production-ready pathtracing engine for free that will even run on shittiest GPUs, mobile devices, and full path traced game support, not just baking, 2 reflection bounces and some AO. Not to mention all the other stuff...

How do you compete against that?
One could now make a comparison to Blender but this is a bit different.

2018-04-17, 08:31:47
Reply #8

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Holy $hit :O I completely missed the "free tier" part.... this is really amazing for small users and freelancers. Honestly, 2 GPU-s (especially of high class like GTX 1080/Ti or Titan) are more then enough for normal work, hell even one of those is blistering fast for product rendering for example. This is pretty huge to be honest!
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn

2018-11-03, 19:54:48
Reply #9

RobSteady

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Usual Otoy play: overpromise, underdeliver

Big announcements before upcoming events - creating a buzz for investors and among the community.
Now they like: „Oh we never said that. Didn’t you read the small print?“ It was mentioned in a Facebook sub-comment before...
„Hey, not all promised features made it into this release but, guess what? Next version already on the horizon! And even bigger plans for the release after that!“ LOL

Octane for Max is an unstable, buggy mess and became basically C4D main plugin.
« Last Edit: 2018-11-03, 21:24:12 by RobSteady »

2018-11-03, 22:34:02
Reply #10

RobSteady

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Things are getting better for [...] Octane now, wait and see, looks pretty promising.
LOL, that‘s exactly their strategy: „right now everything pretty much sucks, but wait, there are awesome things coming with Octane 6...and...Octane 7 already in the making! VOLTRON, SPECTRON, AI everything, bla bla“
Must sound amazing for people who have no clue about 3d but wanna invest some cash.

Nah, tired of waiting. This company is all about the dough.

2018-11-04, 07:57:16
Reply #11

RobSteady

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I got tired too you know, did not octane for almost 2 years and switched back to CPU/Corona until it gets better on the GPU side.
Well, it already is better on the GPU side. Much better. We are very happy with FStorm and its development. There‘s one guy (!) behind it who actually knows what he‘s doing, making the plugin better with every release instead of a million dollar company fixing one bug but adding five others.
FStorm is superior in every possible way.

„FStorm you say. But the guy stole all the code from Octane and just put a different name on it!“
Nope. He was just one of the key developers for Octane and left the company after getting sick if it.
He created his own engine and, of course, got sued. Because they knew he‘s capable of creating a serious competitor. All of the hilarious charges were made up just to take him down but he won the case in Russia. Otoy - shady company.

« Last Edit: 2018-11-04, 09:30:02 by RobSteady »

2018-11-04, 11:08:29
Reply #12

RobSteady

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You don't know how to compare Octane to Fstorm technically speaking. I'm not a fanboy of anything/anyone (as I saw some people are), facts are just here.
Not a fanboy neither but this comparison should even make Octane fanboys look quite sad:

« Last Edit: 2018-11-04, 11:14:14 by RobSteady »

2018-11-04, 11:38:36
Reply #13

RobSteady

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Fstorm has optimization
But just some ;)  Have a good look at the chart again with „production ready“ in mind.
Let that judge people who need production ready software. In general these guys don‘t wanna wait 10 minutes before the render starts. Or Max crashes because the render engine can‘t handle big scenes.

Octane took a long time before it became one.
Octane usually takes a long time in every aspect ;)

I would even say that V4 is marking the production ready classification of Octane. Lot of workflow features that are must needed.
Ok. What are these features? Can you name your top five?
Consider that it is not production ready by any means yet...but yeah, in the future... I know ;)

Engine wise, Octane is superior, as it's a light transport engine with PT and PMC
Ehhh! No it‘s not. FStorm is a path tracer as well. PMC? What a joke. That mode is so damn slow and useless. Speaking of production ready...

Once FStorm gets released for C4D: good night

« Last Edit: 2018-11-04, 11:47:10 by RobSteady »

2018-11-04, 19:51:57
Reply #14

RobSteady

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Looks like I'm having a conversation with a fanboy
Not at all. Fan of well functioning software. I‘m just comparing facts. You‘re throwing in some general, vague statements.

If Otoy wouldn’t have screwed everything up (material incompatiblity between v2 and v3 = months of work creating assets for nothing as well as introducing new bugs) I would still be on that train.
As soon as Octane comes around the corner with 2 min render times for 5k interiors: take my money.

...which is the kind of people I'm avoiding on social networks such as FB.
Well, then... this is not FB so no worries ;)

If you don't know what light transport is for, there is no point for me to have this close minded conversation.
„Metropolis light transport is an unbiased method that, in some cases (but not always), converges to a solution of the rendering equation faster than other unbiased algorithms such as path tracing or bidirectional path tracing.“ (Wikipedia)

Ok, and now? Octane has PT (not MLT) and PMC (similar to MLT but not the same, as I‘ve learned). Where‘s that mystical light transport at? I‘m curious to know, really.

« Last Edit: 2018-11-05, 07:23:57 by RobSteady »