Author Topic: IR used to be interactive  (Read 13418 times)

2017-11-02, 01:56:45

fraine7

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Since I fully switched over to Corona around 18 months ago I’ve always relied heavily on the Interactive Renderer to fine-tune materials/lighting etc etc. I’ve even used it ‘live’ in client meetings to get real-time feedback and critique. It was flawless around 1 year ago, probably around version 1.4 if I had to guess.

I’m not sure when it stopped working fluidly but IR is now becoming useless for anything but the simplest of scenes. I have plenty of RAM to handle the scale and complexity of my interiors but I find myself waiting constantly for updates and restarts when performing the simplest of changes to my scenes. Often I have to zoom in/out to keep IR ticking over, otherwise it just fails to interactively update.

I haven’t gone as far as submitting bug reports just yet but I was curious to know if any other users have noticed IR becoming slower and less interactive recently?

(Corona Camera or Camera Mod always used as I know there are issues with Physical Cam)

2017-11-02, 09:15:35
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
If anything, it should be more responsive than before.
Could you record your screen when IR is working slowly?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-11-02, 09:25:55
Reply #2

Giona

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
  • 3D - MTB - Photography
    • View Profile
    • Giona Andreani 3D Visualization
Sometimes I have the same issue, I tried to solve forcing the IR to use only Path Tracing, but for interiors scene is not the best option, and it doesn't fix the issue completely.
I really hope this can be solved in the near future!

2017-11-02, 14:09:13
Reply #3

fraine7

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Maru - I thought exactly the same, I have more RAM than ever, better hardware all round in fact. Add to that all of the optimisation that you guys have carried out and it should mean that interactive rendering is quicker or at least more responsive than older versions.

giona4 - I've also tried the force Path Tracing option but as you say this isn't very good for cleaning up interiors.

I will capture an interactive session as soon as I can and post the link here.

2017-11-02, 17:19:20
Reply #4

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
There were quite a few IR performance regressions ever since 1.4, so they probably just added up. I've reported some of them, but they are still backlogged on mantis somewhere.

2017-11-02, 17:57:22
Reply #5

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi
Do you guys use proxies and animation in your scenes? I mean even if you render static pictures, but you change for some reason frame number to render?

2017-11-03, 01:05:09
Reply #6

fraine7

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Bormax, sometimes I will keyframe scene changes but not always. Have you found this to be a cause of IR sluggishness?

Rawalanche - Regressions definitely sounds like an adequate description. It actually reminds me of VrayRT, I never really know what it’s doing anymore or why it needs to completely restart if I change a light’s intensity or tweak a colour in the mat editor.

I tend to use the zoom functionality quite heavily, both max’s 2D pan/zoom and frame buffer zooming to focus sampling on a specific area. This often messes up my IR sessions once I’m back at 1:1 (zoomed out). This isn’t the only cause but it’s one I encounter everyday.

2017-11-03, 02:28:50
Reply #7

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Bormax, sometimes I will keyframe scene changes but not always. Have you found this to be a cause of IR sluggishness?

Yes fraine7. Actually it makes problem not only for IR, this issue slows down parsing scene process and as a result IR starts to be not responsive especially in scenes with big amount of proxies, at least it's still true for my computer with dual Xeons. I posted about it here, check this link
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=14716.msg94525#msg94525

That was the reason why I didn't use IR even for quite simple exterior scenes with normal amount of greenery, and always thought - what is the problem with my computer (it's not the slowest one :))?, and why in tutorial videos IR works fast for much more complex scenes with no problem?
Since the moment I get the point and exclude animation from my scenes I use IR constantly

2017-11-04, 00:33:47
Reply #8

fraine7

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Bormax, having read your own thread in the link it seems we work in a similar way. Animating the sun position or some other object/light/material etc. I don’t use proxies much so I don’t think they are to blame but IR is clearly affected by key frames being present.

I have been reading through some of the other IR related posts and I am convinced that something was broken in an earlier version of Corona which has gone under the radar, getting progressively worse as the software evolves and new versions are released. As Rawalanche suggested with the compounded regressions.

2017-11-04, 18:16:48
Reply #9

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I second this - whenever I make a change it seems to restart, as though I've just opened the IR window again.

2017-11-05, 00:47:47
Reply #10

fraine7

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Kind of glad to know I’m not the only one experiencing these issues as it means we have more chance of getting the developers to look into possible causes.

2017-11-05, 10:32:21
Reply #11

LUKEC3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For me is the same, after 1.4 IR is very less interactive, sure i work with heavy scene, but with 1.4 when i change one material, or one light outside light mix, response was immediatly, now is very slow, sometime freeze for a 5 - 10 seconds, and then start, every time, restart from 0, with " big pixels" and i need wait a lot until i can see my fixes. I've a lot of different comp, from I7 12 4930 K until xeon 2680 v4, all ssd 64 gb of ram and windows 7 and windows 10, i i've a scene with few thousand poly until hundred millions of polyg, i use scene standard, scene with proxys, scene with displacement, scene with easy shaders scene wirh complex shaders, scene with xref and so on... scene start from 0 with corona 1.5, 1.6 and now 1.7, old scene ... and i've 4 guys work in different mode ...
Corona render was perfect because it's simple, fast, effective, and instant .. now it's getting more complicated with many features, I do not want it to eventually become like other slow and difficult to use engines. Immediate speed and ease of use are the elements to be pursued, photographic rendering and the end we must achieve. Who wants a complicated, slow and difficult to use software knows where to look ... I think it is better not to distort Corona Render.
I also have to say that crown 1.7 has much less freeze than crown 1.6, it seems more stable.
I think it is useless to continue running behind a rabbit to try to overtake it and have the short breath .. better to walk slowly and stay fit.

2017-11-05, 20:04:34
Reply #12

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
If you want to change the "big pixels first" (which is subsampling to give you a faster overview of the scene while waiting to show more detail), then that can be adjusted in the Devel / Debug section, smaller numbers give less subsampling (smaller "big pixels") and vice versa:

Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2017-11-05, 21:59:12
Reply #13

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes. My preferred setting for Subsampling is 1 or 0 (off). But still IR feels slower - especially the very first use after loading a scene (just like regular render).

2017-11-06, 08:20:32
Reply #14

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
now IR run faster than 1.4 for me and without subsampling IR will gives less interactive feel. so I think there is no any benefit in disabling the IR subsampling.
and imho the lag at the very first IR is acknowledged, IIRC there is a thread said that it is caused by the transition from 64x64 output size to our setting and why there is 64x64px output size, because of the need of pre-render minimum RAM usage..