Author Topic: Tweaking CoronaSky to simulate different times of day  (Read 3936 times)

2016-10-19, 11:57:43

Dippndots

• Active Users
  • Alex Fagan Co-Founder at The Faction
    • View Profile
    • The Faction
I was wondering if anyone had any tips or information on how to adjust the coronaSky parameters to better replicate different times of day/lighting conditions like dawn/dusk/night/etc. ?

I know you can change the colors, but I was looking for some more concrete/correct ways of doing it.

2016-10-19, 12:31:54
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
it is really easy - use 3dsmax sun with "CoronaSun" type and set time of day there. Sky will adjust automatically.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-10-19, 12:37:32
Reply #2

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I think he meant specifically cases of sun under the horizon. In this case, I am afraid, Corona sky doesn't support below the horizon sky model. Although, if you use 3ds Max 2017, Autodesk has implemented universal daylight system based on old CIE model, which supports night time. And it works with Corona.

2016-10-20, 11:21:33
Reply #3

Dippndots

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • The Faction
Thanks Ondra, I had no idea the sky changed in conjunction with CoronaSun lol. But some below the horizon setups like Raw alludes to would be nice, we haven't moved to 2017 yet, so I guess I'll have to fake it by eye.

2016-10-20, 11:52:13
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
we will do the below horizon thing when there is a paper on how to simulate it. I know there were tries to do it, but it is actually much more complex to properly simulate than above the horizon thing (because light has to bounce much more - night sky is "indirect lighting", day sky is "direct lighting"
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-10-20, 12:33:16
Reply #5

Dippndots

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • The Faction
Cool, I'm surprised there isn't a paper, that's pretty much what I was looking for in an explanation.

2019-02-19, 16:39:28
Reply #6

fraine7

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Bringing this thread back to life to see if there have been any developments on the 'below horizon' issue with simulating time of day.

I'm currently working on a day to night transition sequence and the sky becomes orange in the evening but never gets any darker. It doesn't actually change much between the hours of 8pm and 4am.

Using Max's daylight system with Corona Sun and Skylight turned off

Cheers

2019-02-20, 13:13:27
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
No updates in this matter, and I am afraid no updates are planned at all at this time.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-02-20, 13:55:29
Reply #8

fraine7

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No problem, thanks for the update!

2019-02-20, 17:08:26
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team