Author Topic: AA and internal resolution  (Read 6663 times)

2012-10-28, 18:29:05

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys. I've read in the online help documents that the internal res (default at 2) does not have big impact on rendering speed. However I noticed that using internal res at 1 did gave me some speed gain at certain situations especially when rendering at 4k resolution. However I'm not sure how this setting correlates with AA settings and what value should I really use when rendering with i.res at 1, cause in the online docs there is a note that AA should be at the same value as internal res.

So I did some tests with no AA and rendering at internal res at 1 which was incredibly fast but of course In situations with having object in foreground of bright background I ended up with jagged aliased edges.

Would it make any sense to use box filtering (value of 1) and internal res at 1 or is it the same as no antialiasing at all??

2012-10-28, 18:50:28
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
if you mean the "Display AA", then this option only affects displaying custom VFB during rendering, not how final image looks like.

Higher internal res. can indeed cause some overhead if set too high, or when the scene is simple or resolution high. But it should not interfere with Display AA.

Box filtering wont help you with the jagged edges - you need to render the image in higher resolution, tone map it, and then downscale (which is what the internal res. does automatically)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2012-10-28, 19:17:57
Reply #2

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Okay I'm just trying to figure a way how to get very sharp results right in the early phase of rendering but don't want to end up with jagged aliased edges that won't refine to a clean result.

Right now it seems to me that the default cone filter, when rendering at lower resolutions 720p seems to blur the image way too much and it takes too long for it to "sharpen" enough to bring out small details. And it seems that without it corona gets pretty soon "close to finish" but some stuff might get aliasing there.

I mean, I'm not complaining here :D just trying stuff and trying to get the max out of it's performance... I'll post some screens here from testing the image filter on/off in 20 min. renderings as well as having internal res at 1 and 2 all in 720p resolution.

2012-10-28, 19:31:11
Reply #3

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
so, here... don't mind the materials. I wanted to see how it works with unfiltered (0.01 filtering in max) textures in glossines, reflection maps.
« Last Edit: 2012-10-28, 19:32:47 by lacilaci »

2012-10-28, 19:39:38
Reply #4

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So in these I did not get much of an aliasing of object edges. But when I do, do I need image filtering or will it be enough to just use higher internal res value to get rid of any aliasing problems or is the image filtering essential there?