Author Topic: Layered material mask / Volumetrics issue  (Read 3145 times)

2022-06-07, 02:40:16

Mac3DX

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys, take a look at this. Same file, layered material working good with SSS. When I turned off SSS for the Choco inside material and turned on Volumetrics, it seems to be going wrong. Absorption color is set to black. Why am I getting full transparency for the material?

2022-06-07, 19:27:21
Reply #1

Mac3DX

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

Please, can anyone confirm if I'm doing something wrong? As you can see, the material gets transparent only when connected to the layered material.

2022-06-07, 21:04:43
Reply #2

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Note.
Would be just lovely, if you'd stay in a single thread...Plus, make it easier for everyone, especially yourself and for once, simply provide your test scene file. It takes time to get on your level, which many can't afford to spend again and again... it gets tiring.

2022-06-07, 22:11:48
Reply #3

Mac3DX

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry about that, as soon as I can I’ll provide the files.
Thanks

2022-06-08, 04:16:58
Reply #4

Mac3DX

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Note.
Would be just lovely, if you'd stay in a single thread...Plus, make it easier for everyone, especially yourself and for once, simply provide your test scene file. It takes time to get on your level, which many can't afford to spend again and again... it gets tiring.

Hi Burnin, sorry to bother you. I opened a new thread because I believe this is a new issue. Sorry if it seems the same, but it's not. Here is a simple file so you can check what is going on.
I'm using a Layered material but it's not keeping the material properties for the for the second one. If I didn't make it clear through the image, please let me know.

2022-06-08, 16:55:12
Reply #5

davetwo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I thinnk its because you are trying to combine one material with SSS and one with volumetrics. Try using SSS for both

2022-06-08, 18:32:46
Reply #6

Mac3DX

• Active Users
    • View Profile
But they are independent materials being masked by a vertex map. Ideally, not expected to behavior like that. Sorry, but it seems it needs to be fixed.

2022-06-13, 17:14:39
Reply #7

Mac3DX

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, more information related to the vertex mapping into the opacity channel.

If you overlay a material with displacement being masked trough a vertex map in the opacity channel it won't mask. But if you turn on the displacement channel for the underlying material it will work.
Curious fact, for the "base" material: If you set the displacement distance to zero, both material will inherit the distance from the "top" one.

I suppose that is not the desirable behavior, so please, would it be possible to address this issue?

2023-02-14, 16:56:46
Reply #8

Mac3DX

• Active Users
    • View Profile