Author Topic: Quick Way to Replicate RandomColor shader from Octane?  (Read 1552 times)

2021-11-19, 21:17:39

ShynnSup

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So I have been watching some tutorials where they use Octane, and many make use of the handy RandomColor shader. Basically: The Random Color Texture generates a random float value based which can be used to create color variations on instances of geometry.

http://www.aoktar.com/octane/OCTANE%20HELP%20MANUAL.html?RandomColor.html

It is often used together with a Gradient or a Mix Texture. Meaning that the Random values are used to randomly mix two textures on randomly pick and assign colors from a gradient onto objects.

I think it would be equal to the Corona Multi Shader, but instead of having to assign colors to each separate 'layer' you could just plug in a gradient.

For now to replicate this I could just copy my colors onto the Multi Shader.
Or I can use effectors in native C4D, which feels very cumbersome... maybe I am doing something wrong?

My current workflow is as follows:
Create Corona Material> Assign Colorizer Shader > Add Mograph Color Shader inside Colorizer > Create Effector > Change Effector Color Mode to 'Effector Color'

All this to just have random colors?

I have also noticed that Corona is super slow when using Mograph Shaders... anybody else?

2021-11-19, 21:39:41
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
For pure random, you can just set one layer in the Multi Shader, make sure it has any color selected (is not just in the range of white to black) and then use Hue Random so that it generates a different color for each object or instance etc. For small variations (e.g. different greens so each leaf is a different color on a plant), set the color to the main color you want, and use small Hue and Gamma variations to get different shades and darknesses of that color.

Or to have it randomly sample a result from a gradient so that you control the range of colors that are created, set it to a near white, use Gamma randomization (giving a random greyscale result), and plug that into  the C4D Colorizer set to Lightness so that the black to white greyscale is transformed into a color gradient of your choosing.

File attached with some examples.

(Note, saved from R25, using Corona 8 daily build Nov 11, but will work fine in Corona 7 as an approach :) )

Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-11-19, 21:45:32
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
In case not using R25, and not using Corona 8 daily, screengrabs of the material set ups.

2021-11-19, 22:15:44
Reply #3

ShynnSup

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Awesome! Thanks!

Or to have it randomly sample a result from a gradient so that you control the range of colors that are created, set it to a near white, use Gamma randomization (giving a random greyscale result), and plug that into  the C4D Colorizer set to Lightness so that the black to white greyscale is transformed into a color gradient of your choosing.

This is brilliant, will do it like this from now on.

2021-11-19, 22:26:51
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Most welcome! There is a lot of power in the Multi Shader :)