Author Topic: Beautiful Computer Generated Images V. - Classic Nowness  (Read 9611 times)

2017-06-07, 15:10:20

JakubCech

• Active Users
  • jakubcech.net
    • View Profile
    • jakubcech
So guys, fifth one, two left to go :) Below is the description, on the Behance (https://www.behance.net/gallery/53529289/Beautiful-Computer-Generated-Images-V-Classic-Nowness) there are models to download and high-res pictures. Pictures look more yellow here than they are - thats because the background color here in the forums is blue.

Beautiful Computer Generated Images is a collection of Seven projects, collection of seven Manifests, where every piece is an intersection of Technology and Art. It depicts imaginary places, imaginary objects where every element is arranged to create beautiful Composition and where photorealistic simulations are enriched and elevated by Custom color mapping to craft a piece formed by true Art.
Manifests show what I consider truly beautiful, what I am passionate about and what I love. Passion in Computer Generated Image, passion in Composition, beauty in Simplicity, Light, custom Colors, passion in bending image within a Purpose, in adjusting piece with an Abstract elements, all elevated by Custom Color Mapping to form something Unseen, something New and very Artistic.
Manifests have been developed for 1 year, working solely on the manifests, between 2016 and 2017 and are periodically released every three weeks. After all seven have been released, there is going to be a book stitching all the pieces together.
Everything is custom made - from scratch - models, materials.
I welcome to watch the fifth one.

V. Classic Nowness
Classic Nowness is an imaginary Classic space filled with Contemporary furniture pieces to shape a modern Icon of classic nowness. It depicts passion, beauty and contrast in classic Stone Mouldings and Contemporary minimalistic furniture. Pasion in contrast between Beige, Gold and Deep Blue. Beauty in contrast between Structured surfaces and Flat surfaces. Beauty and contrast in materials Metal Gold and Velvet blue. Passion in contrast between Curves and Lines.
Project has been rendered in beautiful Corona rendering engine. Modeling was done in 3Ds Max and sofa model in Marvelous Designer. Models to download on Behance.
Inspiration credits: Jeff Koons.

Upcoming Manifest - VI. Natural Gradients - 28.6.2017

Models to download

« Last Edit: 2017-06-07, 15:19:57 by JakubCech »

2017-06-07, 16:10:39
Reply #1

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
You've done it again Jakub! I am still keeping tabs on this project of yours and it never ceases to deliver. Really outstanding work as far as I am concerned :)

That said, let me throw the ball to ya. Johaness told you his method of post-production on his renders, mind sharing yours to us? Specifically I am wondering if you are doing the whole 32 bit -> lut -> layer after layer of correction type of workflow or is it something else?

These renders really have a nice, sophisticated yet down to earth feel to them. The subtle glows and really great color tones are magnificent, not to mention the really pleasant lighting.

Yeah, I know that sounds like gibberish but still :P
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2017-06-07, 16:20:53
Reply #2

Correntes

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • PRESSRENDER
Again top notch stuff.

What did you used for lighting hdri or sun+sky?
Super natural...

2017-06-07, 18:02:19
Reply #3

Tanakov

• Active Users
  • Corona is faster than diarrhea
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/Gringott
Really nice images, a lot to look at for inspiration.
Using Corona since 2014-01-02
https://www.behance.net/Gringott

2017-06-07, 20:43:26
Reply #4

Icodyne

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm still striving to reach this level of quality. And thank you for the beautiful models.
Please view my portfolio:
http://www.digitalvisualization.net

2017-06-07, 22:15:35
Reply #5

JakubCech

• Active Users
  • jakubcech.net
    • View Profile
    • jakubcech
You've done it again Jakub! I am still keeping tabs on this project of yours and it never ceases to deliver. Really outstanding work as far as I am concerned :)
That said, let me throw the ball to ya. Johaness told you his method of post-production on his renders, mind sharing yours to us? Specifically I am wondering if you are doing the whole 32 bit -> lut -> layer after layer of correction type of workflow or is it something else?
These renders really have a nice, sophisticated yet down to earth feel to them. The subtle glows and really great color tones are magnificent, not to mention the really pleasant lighting.
Yeah, I know that sounds like gibberish but still :P
Hey nkilar, thank you for your super cool appreciation! Totally not sounding like gibberish haha! Thank you so much for beautiful words! :))
Regarding your question - Yes Johaness "revealed" his mapping - I am going to tell you as much as I can! First of all - my mapping is still being changed/developed - its not something that is particularly set. Currently, my most recent version of it (might change as I try and experiment a lot) goes like this:
1. I prepare the scene, models, materials etc. - we could talk hour about this, but I want to get to the mapping.
2. I setup my first lighting - and play a lot a lot a lot to get it right (still no mapping applied - just raised highlight compression to 2.0 or so) - I play till this looks good.
3. Now when everything is setup - I start to play with tone mapping. What I do first is that I load my LUT - I have my library of custom LUTs I have been developing for years, done in magic bullet looks. I have some particular selected ones I always find does what I like - this is my main "signature" tone mapping - and I unfortunately would love not to share it (yet). Then when those are loaded (I switch between them) I start to play with everything! Highlight compression, Filmic highlights, constrast, filmic shadows, temperatur etc. everything together with the LUT. Then I also adjust my lighting / materials to fit the mapping I like.... I know, its tones of variables - but that is what it is, tons of variables each tuned to work with each other.
To note - for this project (Classic Nowness) I used planar lights only - nothing else! Please see attached max file with the lighting of the second scene with tonemapping (wihtout my custom LUT).
4. The rendered file I bring to photoshop and play with it in normal fashion (vibrance etc.) of elements I would love to enhance.
So thats pretty much it (for now) but I want to experiment much more.

Again top notch stuff.
What did you used for lighting hdri or sun+sky?
Super natural...
Thank you so so much! You do really great renderings! I used planar light only - nothing else for whole this project! Please read my description above. I would love to add - I use include/exclude in the light to light floor/walls/main character separately - this is something I dont see people does as much but is a very powerfull way to make lighting look professionaly lit! :)

Really nice images, a lot to look at for inspiration.
Thank you!

I'm still striving to reach this level of quality. And thank you for the beautiful models.
Thank you and wish you all the best!

2017-06-08, 10:29:38
Reply #6

Majeranek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Jakub, amazing as usual :)
I really like the composition of colors in this one. Beige and blue works great here. I always liked when there's not too much different hues in a scene.

Hey nkilar, thank you for your super cool appreciation! Totally not sounding like gibberish haha! Thank you so much for beautiful words! :))
Regarding your question - Yes Johaness "revealed" his mapping - I am going to tell you as much as I can! First of all - my mapping is still being changed/developed - its not something that is particularly set. Currently, my most recent version of it (might change as I try and experiment a lot) goes like this:
1. I prepare the scene, models, materials etc. - we could talk hour about this, but I want to get to the mapping.
2. I setup my first lighting - and play a lot a lot a lot to get it right (still no mapping applied - just raised highlight compression to 2.0 or so) - I play till this looks good.
3. Now when everything is setup - I start to play with tone mapping. What I do first is that I load my LUT - I have my library of custom LUTs I have been developing for years, done in magic bullet looks. I have some particular selected ones I always find does what I like - this is my main "signature" tone mapping - and I unfortunately would love not to share it (yet). Then when those are loaded (I switch between them) I start to play with everything! Highlight compression, Filmic highlights, constrast, filmic shadows, temperatur etc. everything together with the LUT. Then I also adjust my lighting / materials to fit the mapping I like.... I know, its tones of variables - but that is what it is, tons of variables each tuned to work with each other.
To note - for this project (Classic Nowness) I used planar lights only - nothing else! Please see attached max file with the lighting of the second scene with tonemapping (wihtout my custom LUT).
4. The rendered file I bring to photoshop and play with it in normal fashion (vibrance etc.) of elements I would love to enhance.
So thats pretty much it (for now) but I want to experiment much more.

Is it possible for you to show us render before and after applying LUT? Or maybe you don't want to show it either :)

Cheers!
marjoramstudio.com Website
be.net/filipmalecki Behance Portfolio
Instagram Instagram Profile

2017-06-08, 12:39:05
Reply #7

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
@JakubCech

Thanks for the in-depth answer, I really appreciate it :) Great to know your process is that straightforward too!

I myself am also trying not to overcomplicate things in post (like a true retoucher would) but the pleasant feel & look of your renders is something else. That is also why I initially thought you are doing a lot of highlight / major corrections in post which is how I normally see these types of images developed.

Anyway, kudos man, these images are super amazing and please keep us updated when the next one comes out ;)

Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2017-06-08, 18:05:28
Reply #8

JakubCech

• Active Users
  • jakubcech.net
    • View Profile
    • jakubcech
Jakub, amazing as usual :)
I really like the composition of colors in this one. Beige and blue works great here. I always liked when there's not too much different hues in a scene.
Is it possible for you to show us render before and after applying LUT? Or maybe you don't want to show it either :)
Cheers!
Majeranek, thank you! I appreciate it so much :)
Regarding before/after - sure, see attached (before LUT, after LUT) - I adjusted further in photoshop then.

Thanks for the in-depth answer, I really appreciate it :) Great to know your process is that straightforward too!
I myself am also trying not to overcomplicate things in post (like a true retoucher would) but the pleasant feel & look of your renders is something else. That is also why I initially thought you are doing a lot of highlight / major corrections in post which is how I normally see these types of images developed.
Anyway, kudos man, these images are super amazing and please keep us updated when the next one comes out ;)
Thank you again! I am so happy you like them and think of it this way - wow! :) And well, not overcomplicated  now, but who knows, maybe there is some magic other way of getting things better, I personally tried so many ways, and am always trying, so thats the main reason why I found this (LUT) that works as a magic trasnformer haha.

2017-06-14, 05:10:09
Reply #9

dartofang

• Active Users
  • @archviztutorial
    • View Profile
love the natural lighting Jakub. so when are you publishing the book? :)

2017-06-14, 14:05:58
Reply #10

JakubCech

• Active Users
  • jakubcech.net
    • View Profile
    • jakubcech
love the natural lighting Jakub. so when are you publishing the book? :)
Thank you :) Well its not going to be a "book" but more of a brochure stitching all the images together into one handy book with nice type fonts and presentation style. Its going to be just PDF for download - but I am going to have it printed for me (and  for peaople who would love to have it) - just a little personal book. Its going to be released after the seventh project is released sometimes between 19.7.2017 and 9.8.2017.

2017-10-19, 18:27:55
Reply #11

UP.Studio

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi Jakub
awesome artwork,congratulation 
Jakub, do you special Setting for animation render ?! example special render setting or special mode ( special fps ) ??

2017-10-23, 10:34:21
Reply #12

JakubCech

• Active Users
  • jakubcech.net
    • View Profile
    • jakubcech
Hi Jakub
awesome artwork,congratulation 
Jakub, do you special Setting for animation render ?! example special render setting or special mode ( special fps ) ??
Thank you so so much! :)
For my animation of this space I used camera mapping technique. Otherwise no special settings.