Author Topic: First studio ligh test with Corona engine  (Read 15222 times)

2013-11-23, 17:54:22

neshas

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Simon Alexander
Hey guys, Before two days I saw Corona render and i was vey impress quality and speed of engine!

So i try to render my first image with corona!(All models is Evermotion)

Technical details:
Nothing special. I used PT + PT method, max ray depth 28, PTS 64 and MSI 400 ;) Render time 20m (1600x1200)
« Last Edit: 2013-11-23, 18:04:11 by neshas »

2013-11-23, 18:00:25
Reply #1

SHD

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/xshd/

2013-11-23, 18:03:28
Reply #2

rafpug

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2013-11-23, 18:04:42
Reply #3

neshas

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Simon Alexander

2013-11-23, 18:24:39
Reply #4

ondrike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
28 is new magic number
Corona brought joy to sad world of 3Ds Max :)

2013-11-23, 19:19:10
Reply #5

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
What kind of bullshit is 28 rays for this kind of scene? Those 3 Additional rays will not make any difference at all. And MSI 400 in this kind of scene won't make any difference either. Those settings will just make your rendering to take longer, that's all... :D

2013-11-23, 19:25:53
Reply #6

neshas

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Simon Alexander
What kind of bullshit is 28 rays for this kind of scene? Those 3 Additional rays will not make any difference at all. And MSI 400 in this kind of scene won't make any difference either. Those settings will just make your rendering to take longer, that's all... :D

Do you have sense of humor ?  It is a joke man cheer up.

2013-11-23, 20:11:37
Reply #7

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Yup, that's why there is a smiley at the end of my post :P Non the less, this may confuse some people even further ;)

EDIT: I also didn't see Juraj's thread prior to replying to this. But even then, this is still going to confuse a few guys. And lastly, i think MSI 20 vs 400 making so much difference in Juraj's scene is rather bug than an expected behavior ;)
« Last Edit: 2013-11-23, 20:16:12 by Rawalanche »

2013-11-23, 23:09:20
Reply #8

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Yup, that's why there is a smiley at the end of my post :P Non the less, this may confuse some people even further ;)

EDIT: I also didn't see Juraj's thread prior to replying to this. But even then, this is still going to confuse a few guys. And lastly, i think MSI 20 vs 400 making so much difference in Juraj's scene is rather bug than an expected behavior ;)

I don't believe it's a bug, there is very noticeable difference in interior scenes where lot of overal scene brightness/or GI is generated though reflective materials, and some of these rays would be cut off. I didn't noticed difference in single scene/room, I test these values in every single scene, and then adjust on scale 20-400, just when necessary. What would be the point of fully unbiased renderers if the ones with strong bias proved to provide same result ? No one would ever bother with Maxwell and Indigo likes, just because they're easier to use. Certain difference in accuracy of GI can be very noticeable to those who look at it day by day, but even laic people.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I originally wanted to write a little bit more, but... maybe not worth it. It will take time until this forum ( if ever...) attains some professional level.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2013-11-23, 23:20:43
Reply #9

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
There is no reason for MSI to clamp reflection samples seen through glass with completely sharp refraction, as it would probably not create fireflies. Keymaster himself told me he thinks that particular situation could be improved, while still keeping MSI low.

Also, what you say is exactly what is happening. Only very few people bother with something unbiased like Maxwell, because the accuracy difference it makes is nowhere near worth the never ending rendertimes. That's why Vray has became mainstream. And there are many and many examples such as Bertrand Benoit or Peter Guthrie that renderer does not need to be unbiased in order to achieve realistic results.

People who are not skilled enough will never be able to achieve great results even if the use Maxwell, on the other side, those who know what they are doing will not have any problem achieving great and photorealistic results even with Vray or MentalRay.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-23, 23:25:22 by Rawalanche »

2013-11-23, 23:26:34
Reply #10

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
There is no reason for MSI to clamp reflection samples seen through glass with completely sharp refraction, as it would probably not create fireflies. Keymaster himself told me he thinks that particular situation could be improved, while still keeping MSI low.

I've posted example in very specific situation ( the scenario is very similar if the glass is there or not). I will delete that example if it annoys so much and you obviously know everything on same level as Keymaster when it comes to rendering. I've used higher MSI in quite few many different situations and saw benefits to it outside of pure caustics. If that's something that can be improved without in different way, good. But keep that advice technical, without your childish jerky manners.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2013-11-23, 23:27:46
Reply #11

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
"because the accuracy difference it makes is nowhere near worth the never ending rendertimes"

Keep that choice to whoever it applies to, without weird sort of ridicule.

2013-11-23, 23:31:48
Reply #12

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
huehuehuhuehue, less drama, more rendering!

And I can confirm I will try to fix MSI darkening glossy reflections.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-11-24, 11:37:13
Reply #13

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I laughed so hard. Guys, better keep it calm or Keymaster removes MSI and max ray depth forever.

btw, nice clean render, good to see such stuff produced by first time users
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2013-11-24, 11:45:11
Reply #14

neshas

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Simon Alexander
I laughed so hard. Guys, better keep it calm or Keymaster removes MSI and max ray depth forever.

btw, nice clean render, good to see such stuff produced by first time users

I agree with you :D Thanks ;)