Author Topic: Making a custom 3d tile on a curved wall...  (Read 4966 times)

2015-09-02, 19:46:27

kehlje

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Arch. Portfolio
Hi forum,

I am trying to figure out the best way to tile the attached map onto the curved facade of a building I'm visualizing. The map is flat but the tiles will be 3 dimensional.

I know I can use this map and make displacement maps that should give it the depth it needs... but would I be better served by investing in something like mighty tile or wall and tile plugin to do it? Or railclone? I'm wondering if the result will be better if I can array the 3d tiles along the curved facade and also get some variation from one of these plugins, but I don't know if they can do curved walls. It doesn't seem like it but I'm not sure -- I've been googling for 5-10 minutes and looking on their webpages but all I see are flat walls.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

2015-09-02, 21:21:10
Reply #1

-Ben-Battler-

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would model the smallest tileable sector of the thing and render a ZDepth pass of it for getting a perfect displacement map.
Then you still can apply diff/refl/bump textures using a different UVW Channel.
Visit boxel

2015-09-02, 22:17:05
Reply #2

kehlje

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Arch. Portfolio
Hi Ben, thanks for your response -- I'll try this. One thing however -- for the life of me I can't figure out how to do multiple UVW maps with different channels on an object. I see the place to change the channel in the uvw map modifier, but I can't assign more than one material to the object. What do I do in my material editor in order to apply multiple uvw maps to one object?

2015-09-03, 03:59:06
Reply #3

oncire

• Active Users
    • View Profile
you can do mutiple channel in one object...material>bitmap>map channel>...then apply uvw map modifier and change the value of "map channel" with same value as the bitmap. 

ex.bitmap: map channel = 3 , uvw map: map channel = 3... and so on

2015-09-03, 08:54:09
Reply #4

-Ben-Battler-

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Exactly, it is bitmap dependend not material dependend. So you only have to assign 1 material. :)
Visit boxel

2015-09-03, 11:15:27
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
If you going to model one segment then you can dismiss displacement altogether. Google for a slideknit script and with the help of it you'll can have clean geometry.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-09-03, 12:06:59
Reply #6

-Ben-Battler-

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you going to model one segment then you can dismiss displacement altogether. Google for a slideknit script and with the help of it you'll can have clean geometry.

Wow, even better.
Visit boxel

2015-09-03, 13:53:25
Reply #7

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Amazing, I need to learn how to do this!
Vray who?

2015-09-03, 14:07:31
Reply #8

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Amazing, I need to learn how to do this!

https://simonfuchs.wordpress.com/2014/08/17/tutorial-adding-detail-to-your-highpoly-objects-using-the-slideknit-script/

Here you have

2015-09-03, 18:24:38
Reply #9

Malor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have to add, that it's still worth investing in Rail Clone. I personally run into small things like this all the time and while there is always a script or to that can help, RC has a lot of those tiny useful functions in one piece of software.