Author Topic: save light mix with camera  (Read 9642 times)

2017-01-19, 10:47:27

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
At the moment the post process info is stored with the camera which is really useful (bloom and glare slow down bug aside). But we have to manually tweak or save and load the light mix settings every time. Can we also have the option for this to be saved with the camera. Effectively it would be nice to have the solution where we can make all the adjustments in a lower res test and then just hit render for full res with all the settings set and the final result will be the same as the lower res test image. Thanks

2017-01-19, 11:38:56
Reply #1

hog0

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i have to agree on this one! the lightmix is really awsome but sadly it doesnt use the denoised beautypass but a seperate, non-denoised one.. an option to make a quick, lowres render - do lightmix adjustments and rerender exactly this image in higher res with denoise would be really strong..

2017-01-19, 12:47:05
Reply #2

sht

• Active Users
    • View Profile
There is an option to save your lightmix settings to a file and load it in again.
But I agree - having this stored in the camera would be cool ;-)

2017-01-20, 11:12:19
Reply #3

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes its handy having that save setting. But really I think we all probably agree that it would be reassuring to just hit render and it spits out just the high res version of the one we have been tweaking in the tests. With also the benefit of still tweaking in the VFB after if need be.

Its also a consideration for batch rendering which I dont think would be possible with the current manual process for light mix.

It would also be nice to have an option to feed back the lighting changes into the lights themselves so they dont reset every time. I know this would have to be used with caution if there were multiple angles to consider which would need their own balance. But for one shot wonders this would be useful. But actually saving to specific cameras is the superior option and I wouldnt have thought it would be any more difficult. 

2017-02-02, 09:37:20
Reply #4

sht

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes its handy having that save setting. But really I think we all probably agree that it would be reassuring to just hit render and it spits out just the high res version of the one we have been tweaking in the tests. With also the benefit of still tweaking in the VFB after if need be.

Its also a consideration for batch rendering which I dont think would be possible with the current manual process for light mix.

It would also be nice to have an option to feed back the lighting changes into the lights themselves so they dont reset every time. I know this would have to be used with caution if there were multiple angles to consider which would need their own balance. But for one shot wonders this would be useful. But actually saving to specific cameras is the superior option and I wouldnt have thought it would be any more difficult.

Good thoughts I totally agree!

2017-02-02, 12:06:06
Reply #5

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
I think that we have to wait the Standalone version of the Corona VFB.

2017-02-02, 13:27:14
Reply #6

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Standalone does not help in automated workflows at all I fear.

This. We have to be allowed to key+store those mix settings. Either in CameraMod / LightMixMod / keyable cVFB settings or wherever. And the settings have to be stored inside the Max scene to get flawless BB/DL/Farm processing. Everything else leaves this as a toy. How am I supposed to do an image sequence of 20 shots using it when I already found my settings per frame/shot? Even loading a config file 20 times to get the final result is just absurd, same with gigabytes of cEXR files just for this purpose

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2017-02-02, 15:36:50
Reply #7

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
we will allow this as soon as we realize what is the best way to store postprocessing settings in render elements
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-02-02, 20:59:20
Reply #8

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
+1 for max too, of course. We're really struggling with lightmix in many of our jobs, since most of the time we have a single max scene with many cameras in it across many spaces, and it's a bit of a nightmare managing lightmix saved files that we have to remember to save out and load. If it could be linked to the coronacameramod this would be problem solved.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2017-02-02, 22:03:14
Reply #9

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
a single max scene with many cameras

Slightly off topic: Consider to use one cam for stills, everything animated. So when doing 10 shots use frame 10,20,.. for them and key everything there. Enough space for some motion blur stuff around 10 frames if needed, and job submission would be frame 10 to 100 every 10th frame in render setup - one cam, no confusion and the shots get automatically a unique ID = the frame number appended. Saves us a lot of headache when searching for render passes in the output directory :)

Good Luck

2017-02-06, 10:08:02
Reply #10

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
a single max scene with many cameras

Slightly off topic: Consider to use one cam for stills, everything animated. So when doing 10 shots use frame 10,20,.. for them and key everything there. Enough space for some motion blur stuff around 10 frames if needed, and job submission would be frame 10 to 100 every 10th frame in render setup - one cam, no confusion and the shots get automatically a unique ID = the frame number appended. Saves us a lot of headache when searching for render passes in the output directory :)

Good Luck

That's an option but not really practical when you're using different cameramods for each shot, which we do every time. I really hope we can get LightMix linked to a cameramod/physicalcam one day, it would solve all of this.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2017-02-06, 10:30:03
Reply #11

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
different cameramods for each shot

Fortunately you can just key everything there too...

Good Luck