Poll

What option do you prefer to control hair highlights size?

Glossiness (currently used, also behaves similarly to CoronaMtl)
Roughness (usually hair shaders/materials use roughness instead of glossiness)

Author Topic: 1.7 - Hair shader playground and feedback  (Read 42434 times)

2017-07-12, 11:17:09
Reply #45

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No, Hair material is applied on the base mesh, not in the MR shader, simply because it's not a MR shader. So this is why i'm not able to get those nice specular effects !

2017-07-12, 11:40:48
Reply #46

Bigguns

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No, Hair material is applied on the base mesh, not in the MR shader, simply because it's not a MR shader. So this is why i'm not able to get those nice specular effects !

Yes, don't render the hairs as geometry the shader is made to work from spline generated either by Hand F ornatrix or hairfarm.. but not on poly.. like he said, you'r loosing all the nice effect of the shading... would look WAYYY better with not rendering with geometry :)

2017-07-12, 11:48:05
Reply #47

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So i have to set the H&F env. effect to buffer instead of geometry ?
« Last Edit: 2017-07-12, 12:16:31 by Fluss »

2017-07-12, 12:37:49
Reply #48

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well i left H&F env. effect as geometry but I've plugged coronaHairMtl into the MR shader, it seems to be set up correctly now and i confirm that mapping does not work that way. Hair passes have now way less influence over render time, i've set it to 3 and still have good performances. I have to say i'm pretty impressed by this shader right now, here is what i got.

2017-07-12, 13:16:54
Reply #49

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Bigguns, we cannot insert 0 as Curve subdivs. with 1, I have this strange white dots on every vertex.
I think it's a bug. also, you wrote to put "zero" to avoid the white dots. But.. in which option =) ?

And, I have discover that "Curves subdivs" works also with H&F =)
« Last Edit: 2017-07-12, 13:27:05 by cecofuli »

2017-07-12, 14:13:55
Reply #50

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
So i have to set the H&F env. effect to buffer instead of geometry ?

As far as i can tell, settings in env. effects tab has no influence on Corona hair implementation, so you can leave it as it is.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-07-12, 14:29:37
Reply #51

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Low Rays/s can be caused by HairFarm atmospherics effect - disable hairfarm renderer and/or disable atmospherics in common renderer settings to get 10x speed boost.

Cecofuli: no difference when changing subdivs is probably because your hair already have way too many subdivs from 3ds max - there is no more quality to gain

Is it just me, or does the cat looks kinda dead? ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-07-12, 14:32:43
Reply #52

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Some minor adjustment on the dead cat, the shader is promising.

2017-07-12, 14:52:59
Reply #53

Fritzlachatte

• Active Users
    • View Profile
looks like some hair is missing along the grey fur gaps. Furthermore the fur looks quite scruffy "unstroked" and those extincted eyes look like the cat is more than sleeping.
But anyway, leaving the "dead cat" on cobblestones is way to cruel, it looks like passed over by a car... not funny.

2017-07-12, 14:57:13
Reply #54

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
hmm does grass or carpet are made of hairs ? lol it's not a tool for making actual hair, it's a shader to put on hairs or fur , it's different. If you'r capet is made of fur, like a bear carpet, then yes, if it's a fabric carpet, then you'r better with the coronaMtl .
Well if you look at a carpet close enough, you will most probably see that it's made of fibers which are pretty much hair-like (they scatter light, are reflective, etc), so if you need super high quality carpet for close ups, I think there is nothing wrong with using hair plugins with hair shader for that. But generally you can usually get away with scattering some strands and standard Corona material.
I wonder if there is any way to make a grass field with some hair plugin + hair shader. I can't really think of any benefits from doing that, but who knows... As far as I know Ornatrix can be used to scatter trees, grass, or other plants.

Just a note on using 3ds H&F modifier: just forget about the effects dialog. Leave those settings at defaults. Then plug Corona's hair mtl into the mr shader slot. That's the only workflow for now.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-07-12, 15:01:19
Reply #55

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Ok about the white dots: if, in the H&F I use a standard CoronaMtl with glossy, no problem at all.
The problem appear when I use CoronaHairMtl. Try to play with Glints Strenght value, with your hairs are big like a small tubes.

2017-07-12, 15:26:49
Reply #56

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Ok about the white dots: if, in the H&F I use a standard CoronaMtl with glossy, no problem at all.
The problem appear when I use CoronaHairMtl. Try to play with Glints Strenght value, with your hairs are big like a small tubes.
We have to wait for martinsik to take a look at this and tell us what it is. It could be a bug. It could be an intended feature.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-07-12, 15:30:16
Reply #57

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Is it just me, or does the cat looks kinda dead? ;)

You're not alone, there's entire topic in the forum about this cat: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jfyhupz2ut9j3wt/04%20rubai%20melyna.png?dl=0

And now, since Corona hair does not support H&F UV mapping, our little friend looks like he was treated with bleacher o_O
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-07-12, 15:48:12
Reply #58

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just to leave any ambiguity, i added some details... Enjoy ! I have to leave now, PETA foundation is knocking on my door

Ps : feel free to use it as splash screen for the 1.7 corona installer (a splash screen will never have been as well named)
« Last Edit: 2017-07-12, 15:51:55 by Fluss »

2017-07-12, 15:54:30
Reply #59

martinsik

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The dots are inteded irregularities introduced by the glint parameter. If you want to remove these irregularities set glint strength to 0.
Anyway, the hair shader is mostly intended for hair fibers that are much smaller in the image :)