Author Topic: New rendering technology Ours (Biased)  (Read 2998 times)

2020-10-03, 17:14:09

Feodor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Anything known about this technology?

2020-10-03, 19:49:35
Reply #1

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
super cool tech! Hope to see it implemented

2020-10-04, 13:59:59
Reply #2

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Especially the part with the super fast caustics.

2020-10-05, 03:53:10
Reply #3

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This seems interesting.

2020-10-05, 04:45:42
Reply #4

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That microdetail! I'd love to see that in Corona. It's one of the few things I like about fstorm.

2020-10-06, 23:50:16
Reply #5

lolec

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm very curious. Since manifold exploration seems to be a sampling technique more than anything else, is it compatible with embree? And regardless if this is something valuable to explore or do... Is integrating this technique viable inside of corona on a technical level or does it require deep changes to the rendering core?

I remember not so long ago when someone was asking for "more better caustics" that the argument was... there is not much you can do to the algorithms to make caustics faster than say... 5 - 10%

Of course, I will not even pretend to understand how complex this subject is and I know that Corona already uses adaptive sampling for caustics that for all we know is already great... but its fun to think that a novel algorithm could make as much of a difference as it seems to in these papers.

2020-10-07, 10:27:13
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi all!

The technology showcased here is super interesting. Our team does of course review recent papers, and we did also review this one. Unfortunately, this tech is not as perfect as it seems. The major issues would be that it handles only one GI bounce correctly, and that it works fine only on a small set of pre-selected scenes. We will definitely keep improving our in-house caustics solver, though.

Please do send us any interesting papers your find, on caustics and other topics too! 
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-10-07, 22:47:09
Reply #7

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
Thx Maru for the response! Its super interesting to see all the research on the field and to know that corona team keeps itself up to date with the new tech :)

2020-10-08, 12:14:38
Reply #8

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Please do send us any interesting papers your find, on caustics and other topics too!
A collection by Maximilian Tarpini
Caustics are a fascinating subject. They are discussed through the study of singularities in geom optics and systematized by catastrophe theory. In CG recent advs like PG LPM SMS and LMC-GBA allow to render them while still having fun.
Here some papers. https://tinyurl.com/y6d5q8rj
source @ Twitter