Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 521159 times)

2022-08-31, 08:49:16
Reply #1395

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Good to know - so you zip the scenes and send it?  what about your libraries and maps?  you keep them on your local laptop?

Yup, I send my scenes to render at home through TeamViewer bar sufficient internet connection.

Finals that is, for previews, I find that Denoising + UpScaling (Topaz) does the trick :- ).

I send the scene only, my laptop has (internal + external drives) identical file structure and I use FreeFileSync to synchronize those structures.

It's bit more hassle (and requires some investment in drives) but has many benefits: fast file access on any machine (since everything is local), can work anywhere even with poor or no internet.
It's easy in small studios, but it can scale to bigger studios too with bit more advanced synchronizing options. I presume those studios must have adopted something similar during lockdowns? Can't believe they would work from cloud or keep zipping every scene.

Hi Juraj - I’m struggling with a similar situation now…trying to work at night at home on an old 1950x with everything local and identical paths on local nvme drives and just using Synology Drive (which sucks) to occasionally copy stuff on demand.  I say it sucks because it often fails on large file copy requests, and then those files are ‘broken’ and I have to upload to OneDrive or similar to ever get them.

Do you sync using FreeFileSync remotely using a VPN and FFSync pointed to a mapped network/vpn drive?  Or bring in your laptop and sync things up over your LAN before leaving for the day?  Appreciate any tips…I know this workflow is possible, it’s just gonna take some work on my part.

Cheers,
Daniel
« Last Edit: 2022-08-31, 08:52:57 by danio1011 »

2022-08-31, 13:38:59
Reply #1396

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Both. VPN mapping becomes must once you need more people to work on same project.
When I work alone on some phase though, I avoid it..
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2022-08-31, 16:17:21
Reply #1397

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Cool, many thanks!  Any particular VPN to recommend?

Cheers,
Daniel

EDIT:  Looks like Synology has their own VPN Server app.  Gonna give that a try with port forwarding.  Then kill off Synology Drive altogether, everything QuickConnect always feels like such a security liability.

EDIT 2:  Wow, got a VPN setup using Synology's VPN app.  And using FreeFileSync.  Suuuuuuuper slick.  Now I just need to figure out how to schedule jobs for when I leave work and want things to start syncing to home.  Sweet.
« Last Edit: 2022-09-01, 08:34:36 by danio1011 »

2022-08-31, 16:26:45
Reply #1398

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Both. VPN mapping becomes must once you need more people to work on same project.
When I work alone on some phase though, I avoid it..

Can I ask why do you need a VPN in this case?

2022-09-02, 20:03:26
Reply #1399

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Just to avoid confusion, we're not talking VPN to obscure one's Internet location, but 'Remote Access VPN', generic name for creating virtual local network across Internet. Can be done directly in Windows, in TeamViewer, etc..
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2022-09-27, 22:51:17
Reply #1400

Majeranek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Guys, is there anyway to speed up things with 3ds max viewport, material editor, etc. on TR 3990x?
I have 3990x workstation with 128gb of RAM, GeForce GTX 1080Ti, NVMe SSD, Win10 + some HP Omen Notebook with i5-10300H, 16gb of RAM, GeForce GTX 1660Ti, Win11 and the laptop is much snappier in terms of working on the 3d model... at least when it's not too big. It's a bit frustrating that notebook which is 1/10 of workstation price works faster. The laptop CPU is 0,5GHz faster on one core but would it make such a difference?
marjoramstudio.com Website
be.net/filipmalecki Behance Portfolio
Instagram Instagram Profile

2022-09-28, 09:20:48
Reply #1401

Freakaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Website
Guys, is there anyway to speed up things with 3ds max viewport, material editor, etc. on TR 3990x?
I have 3990x workstation with 128gb of RAM, GeForce GTX 1080Ti, NVMe SSD, Win10 + some HP Omen Notebook with i5-10300H, 16gb of RAM, GeForce GTX 1660Ti, Win11 and the laptop is much snappier in terms of working on the 3d model... at least when it's not too big. It's a bit frustrating that notebook which is 1/10 of workstation price works faster. The laptop CPU is 0,5GHz faster on one core but would it make such a difference?

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/3ds-Max-UI-lags-or-seems-sluggish-even-on-very-fast-multi-core-CPUs.html

2022-09-28, 18:09:05
Reply #1402

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/3ds-Max-UI-lags-or-seems-sluggish-even-on-very-fast-multi-core-CPUs.html

This makes me even more curious how Juraj's new laptop will perform for him when he finally gets it.  Also out of curiosity, anyone ever seen any improvement by messing with the QT registry keys mentioned in the above link?  I tried this a while ago and thought it helped but I think it was a placebo effect...

2022-09-28, 18:41:33
Reply #1403

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

This makes me even more curious how Juraj's new laptop will perform for him when he finally gets it.  Also out of curiosity, anyone ever seen any improvement by messing with the QT registry keys mentioned in the above link?  I tried this a while ago and thought it helped but I think it was a placebo effect...

I have it, but it will take me time to test it and review. It has surprisingly conservative power limits.. but it was me who asked for workstation and not gaming laptop. So that much more interesting.

Majeranek, try the SMT Off and use "Ultimate power mode" if you use Win10. Google out how to unlock it. Outside of that, not much to do. These two have seemingly helped me. Unfortunate thing having to resort to disabling hyper-threading with this machine but what else to do.

Personally, I'll try to avoid such super high-core machines in future because of this. I don't fault the machines, but using archaic software will always be archaic software.
I wonder if it's the same for Blender though? I don't have time to try.

2022-09-29, 04:56:29
Reply #1404

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Personally, I'll try to avoid such super high-core machines in future because of this.

Hey Juraj!

As mentioned in other pots, some of my clients come to me with really challenging projects where fog, lights and caustics play a mayor role. In those cases I've found my old 5960x to be really slow even for previews. Because of that, I've been looking forward to get a new workstation in the hope of improving my render times significantly. Initially, 3970x/3990x were among my first options.

However, after your latest posts, I've started to wonder if this would be a good idea. As you have mentioned, these high-core machines are not the best option for building our scenes, specially in 3ds Max.

So I'm kind of lost right. Since the latest CPUs will work great for most of the tasks but won't give me the render times I need, what do you think would be the best solution? Having a high-core machine just for rendering and a different one as main workstation?

This is where I'd really wish Corona was GPU based so I didn't have to face this dilemma.
« Last Edit: 2022-09-29, 05:00:07 by Basshunter »

2022-09-29, 07:10:16
Reply #1405

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have it, but it will take me time to test it and review. It has surprisingly conservative power limits.. but it was me who asked for workstation and not gaming laptop. So that much more interesting.

What are the symptoms of the power limits?  Is it not able to render at 100% CPU usage?  Curious because I am thinking at some point I may get an intel 12th gen laptop if I start to hear good things.

2022-09-29, 09:43:43
Reply #1406

Majeranek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Majeranek, try the SMT Off and use "Ultimate power mode" if you use Win10. Google out how to unlock it. Outside of that, not much to do. These two have seemingly helped me. Unfortunate thing having to resort to disabling hyper-threading with this machine but what else to do.

I think that these two helped a bit. At least in terms of moving in viewport. Material editor is still slugish... Did you guys tested that on Win11? Maybe that's a game changer or the problem is in the 3ds max?
marjoramstudio.com Website
be.net/filipmalecki Behance Portfolio
Instagram Instagram Profile

2022-09-29, 10:08:21
Reply #1407

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

I think that these two helped a bit. At least in terms of moving in viewport. Material editor is still slugish... Did you guys tested that on Win11? Maybe that's a game changer or the problem is in the 3ds max?

I have Windows 11 everywhere except my 3990X workstation. But I'll update (clean install) after I finish current project, so few weeks at most.
I don't expect it to have big influence though and I had quite solid amount of issues with Win11 ranging from freezes, boot corruption, things I never experienced with Win10 ever.

2022-09-29, 19:32:13
Reply #1408

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Even though my file opening times didn't change with SMT off it does seem like forest pack and material editor are just sliiiightly snappier.  I also noticed my 2080 Ti was plugged into an x8 slot.  I moved it into the x16.  Doubt the bus was ever maxing out with Max but can't hurt.

2022-10-14, 01:44:34
Reply #1409

gavin@gavinscott3d.com

• Users
    • View Profile
Hello.
I have a 3995wx with a Noctua NH-U14S. I  have also added a secondary Noctua 140mm NF-A15 HS-PWM and a couple of  Noctua NF-F12-PWM 120mm Fan to help with airflow.
When rendering I am regularly getting temps of over 90c. Last night the max package temp was 93.6c!
Has anyone got experience with effectively cooling this chip? Seems like I need to look at something with a bit more power.