Author Topic: volume - polygonal fur (a lot of alpha channel) bad issue  (Read 2879 times)

2017-10-23, 09:20:22

draekser

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all,

i works on a Halloween's scene. For the fog i use a cube with volumetric shaders, characters have a polygonal fur ( a lot of alpha channel). So, the render is very bad, lot of artifacts with fur.

I don't know if this issue come of shaders or a Corona's engine bug ? and so if there a solution to solve the issue

2017-10-23, 10:59:05
Reply #1

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
What are the shaders settings?The render settings?
It could be a lot of things. Please give us more information.
« Last Edit: 2017-10-23, 11:15:04 by Eddoron »

2017-10-23, 11:35:41
Reply #2

draekser

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What are the shaders settings?The render settings?
It could be a lot of things. Please give us more information.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.
this is the settings :

i will try without single bounce, but render time go to hell (halloween maybe ...)

ho, sh.. sorry, i forgot, french interface ...

2017-10-23, 13:46:20
Reply #3

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
There are too many things that could be the problem and going through each, one by one, through posts won't help much if you intend to finish it by Halloween. It may be something with the alpha, a setting in the shader you use for the hair. Not enough light,  the settings of the light or type. An evil normal tag...etc.

I did some tests with some hair alphas using generated flat hair and planes in a mograph cloner but with none did I get any artifacts or blackness no matter even with 100+ alphas behind each other.

Could you please upload a simplified version of your scene where those errors occur?

edit: have you tried troubleshooting the problem with the multipass channels?

2017-10-23, 14:45:35
Reply #4

draekser

• Active Users
    • View Profile
There are too many things that could be the problem and going through each, one by one, through posts won't help much if you intend to finish it by Halloween. It may be something with the alpha, a setting in the shader you use for the hair. Not enough light,  the settings of the light or type. An evil normal tag...etc.

I did some tests with some hair alphas using generated flat hair and planes in a mograph cloner but with none did I get any artifacts or blackness no matter even with 100+ alphas behind each other.

Could you please upload a simplified version of your scene where those errors occur?

edit: have you tried troubleshooting the problem with the multipass channels?

very thanks for the help.

yes i tried troubleshooting the problem with the multipass channels, but i don't understand why in certains place and not others.

Here is a Onedrive's link ... thanks (90mo, i tried to make it lighter but without characters it's difficult to see those errors)

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AmcXyR-xzhX7g6IRNFf38hVz39jbGQ
« Last Edit: 2017-10-23, 14:49:02 by draekser »

2017-10-23, 17:44:00
Reply #5

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
Ok, so I tried a lot. In the original, I could only marginally improve the quality.

The hair meshes have some very sharp angles and can also become pretty dense, depending on the POV.
Setting the filtering mode to bicubic is advisable for such a thing and you get a few more clear pixels but that doesn't solve the problem.
Same goes for translucency. (btw leave out that c4d backlight shader as it won't help you. translucency already does the job)

The normal tags and phong tag's settings don't seem to influence it visibly and can be removed.

I also tried different render settings, changed the AA types and radii, increased the max depth, GI/AA ratio, etc. etc. Didn't really help.

It actually seems that there's some issue with the volume scattering with those very fine, hard alphas. Though it seems to depend on the angle and resolution.
If you do a close up of the affected areas, there shouldn't be any problems. So a (much) higher resolution might help.

Also, what does work is to manually add fur, even when it's very dense(flat geo). I combed it a little bit and it looked fine.
That would be a way to solve the problem and it would look a bit nicer imho. It's not that much fur you need to worry about so it should be done in an hour.

The best solution would be to mask out the fur when rendering in the volume and add it back in post. A direct light solely for the volume would be better.

I bet I forgot something...
Anyways, I'd be interested if someone else has a solution for the problem.

2017-10-23, 18:07:15
Reply #6

draekser

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thanks for your tests and your time.

yes, i thinks also the post prod is the best way for this scene ...
But it is not the first time i have this problem, polygonal's hair (woman's dense hair for example) give sometime the same result