Author Topic: Like"FStorm GeoPattern" corona pattern  (Read 35878 times)

2018-04-20, 08:05:03
Reply #15

NicolasC

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
  • CG supervisor / teacher / artist
    • View Profile
I might be wrong, but i think it's the same guy (Karba?), who did create vraypattern and Fstorm/geopattern.

Indeed, it's the same guy. He developed it when he was working at icube but it's not the owner of the software.

I'm a bit disappointed by some people's reaction... This is extremely useful! If that can be done with Cscatter then show us an exemple, i'd be curious to see that! Pls recreate that curtain with Cscatter and show us the result.

No matter if you are close or far from the object, it will always look better than an opacity mapped texture and it's cheaper in term of calculation. Look at the curtain, simple material, no memory cost, anisotropy resolve by itself etc etc... I was a user of Vraypattern and I would kill to get that feature in corona! Basically it replace displacement for patterns and it's way cheaper, can be viewed from both sides, no need to mess with geometry shifting etc...

Ok ok your arguments and the examples you provide are pretty convincing TBH. Gets my vote :)
Nicolas Caplat
CG supervisor / teacher / artist

2018-04-25, 10:24:49
Reply #16

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
This looks like a pretty great feature, especially for arch-viz jobs. Definitely a +1 from me :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2018-04-26, 11:17:02
Reply #17

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is a killer feature for Fstorm.

Hyper realistic looking (and almost with no memory consumption) things that are hard to do now properly like towels, wicker chairs, perforated steel panels, cloth etc. etc. would be a breeze !

Personally I'd put this feature over caustics ant other stuff in the line.

2018-04-26, 12:22:31
Reply #18

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
can somebody here share some numbers of comparation?
i guess everyone here would like to know how low GeoPattern memory consumption compared to corona scatter or other scatter plugin like forest pack
thanks

2018-04-26, 12:50:49
Reply #19

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry but what is the point of such comparison ? Since CScatter is unable to deliver comparable results and ate almost all of Romulus's RAM when he tried to simulate a sinlge curtain ?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=563960510657687&set=pcb.1811049615858115&type=3&ifg=1

1.600.000.000.000 polys - 1,2GB Vram

Asuming that even without geo pattern active that scene would take some Vram then I think it is safe to say that it eats almost no memory in comparison to scatter solutions like Cscatter/ForestPack not to mention displacement.

2018-04-26, 14:18:37
Reply #20

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
My guess is that somehow Fstorm pattern doesn't need to store transformational info in RAM, while Corona scatter does have to, otherwise it would consume virtually no RAM too. Curious to see how Itoo railclone does in that regard...
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-04-26, 20:09:57
Reply #21

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I will just leave this here for all those who do not follow Fstorm facebook group  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10215676342559602&set=pcb.1813294842300259&type=3

2018-04-26, 20:20:13
Reply #22

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I will just leave this here for all those who do not follow Fstorm facebook group  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10215676342559602&set=pcb.1813294842300259&type=3
Hell I could use that right now for my 10 square km area of grass. If doable for Corona devs, not a bad addition at all.

2018-04-27, 04:14:26
Reply #23

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
Sorry but what is the point of such comparison ? Since CScatter is unable to deliver comparable results and ate almost all of Romulus's RAM when he tried to simulate a sinlge curtain ?
yeah bluebox you're right, not comparable with cScatter :) but how about vrayPattern or forestPack? i dont have both plugin but is it still comparable?
thanks for share fStorm facebook link, but anyway, fStorm smokes the competition again

2018-04-27, 09:44:25
Reply #24

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I do not own vrayPattern, but I do own ForestPro and it is the same story as Cscatter.

Even if you decide to scatter your geometry and allign it to surface normall you still won't get continuous mesh if the base mesh you are scattering on is not dense enough.
Even if it was that would be super cumbersome to setup each time. Not even close to that geopattern aproach.

I'm not a coder and dont know the code behind it, but to me it is clear that scattering solutions are a totaly different pair of shoes than this Geothing and can't be compared.

Possibilities are endless with this thing. Imagine scattering tiny pieces of bark on your tree trunks etc.

Next tests by Andrey Kozlov: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=566290460424692&set=pcb.1812985592331184&type=3&ifg=1

And yeah, Fstorm is awesome, pity that current generation of affordable GPUs dont have that extra 8GB of Vram. But I believe that thanks to this kind of plugins full switch to GPU is within reach soon, even for people working on really large and demanding archviz scenes :)

2018-04-27, 09:46:46
Reply #25

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
yeah bluebox you're right, not comparable with cScatter :) but how about vrayPattern or forestPack? i dont have both plugin but is it still comparable?
thanks for share fStorm facebook link, but anyway, fStorm smokes the competition again

This is the same as Vraypattern but it's not comparable to any scatter. to put it in a nutshell, it's a mix between displacement and scatter. Find more info about how it's processed on the VrayPattern manual :
http://docs.rendering.ru/en:vraypattern

edit : I suspect Fstorm displacement to use the same tech as it does not subdivide geometry as said in the documentation. That would explain why it is so much RAM efficient
« Last Edit: 2018-04-27, 11:40:40 by Fluss »

2018-04-27, 10:19:34
Reply #26

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
god i'm so speechless..
i believe Ondra will shows his hand at the next pre-v3 daily build for this stupid GeoPattern :)
« Last Edit: 2018-05-03, 06:37:29 by Christa Noel »

2018-05-03, 00:33:32
Reply #27

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page

2018-05-12, 10:51:13
Reply #28

Monkeybrother

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Did a search for "geopattern" to see if anyone had asked for something similar and of course you had. Just wanted to +10 this. It would make a huge difference in realism if you could replace displacement/bump/opacity maps/etc with actual geometry at almost no cost. Have been watching the FStorm facebook group with jealousy.

2018-05-15, 15:21:55
Reply #29

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile