Author Topic: Corona Material/Lights Converter (legacy)  (Read 1088362 times)

2015-04-10, 01:13:58
Reply #525

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Whoops.. Of course, will be fixed :) Thanks for reporting.
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2015-04-10, 07:49:57
Reply #526

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
deadclown: maybe we should include updated mtl converter in next corona bugfix release...
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-04-10, 09:49:10
Reply #527

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Yes, I would appreciate that :)

2015-04-10, 10:50:08
Reply #528

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
New version with minor updates.

Get it here: http://www.racoon-artworks.de/CoronaConverter/CoronaConverter.html

changelog:
v1.06 - [2015/04/10]
  • fixed: "switch renderer to Corona" was overwriting settings even if Corona was already assigned
  • added installed Vray version info to Error report

2015-04-10, 11:24:22
Reply #529

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Sweet! You're competing with Ondra and his team in terms of response :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-04-12, 04:27:51
Reply #530

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
 Hello, I'm not sure if that's a bug, some overlook or maybe even a feature request ) - Currently CMLC's Show Maps in Viewport on/off function does not respect selected conversion modes yet it would be much more useful if it could.
 There are even some cases when uncontrolled show maps function can cause quite a disaster with crashes, freezes, and so on - for instance in some  town/city modelling scenes with lots of textured buildings, trees, cars, etc. thus making it useless if not dangerous to use or at least so in its current state.
 In my pre Corona days in such cases I've used this http://www.daveandgoliath.com/viewport-maps-onoff/ handy script but sadly it is not Corona compatible and I totally suck in scripting to make some (probably minor) adjustments to make it Corona friendly.
 Btw this guy had written another quite handy, this time partially Corona related script http://www.daveandgoliath.com/paint-pot-3dsmax-database-of-paint-codes/ - it is quite useful even as it is but it sure can be made even better with some corona material/scripting expert's help ;)   

2015-04-14, 11:51:05
Reply #531

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
I remember there was a Corona bug when CoronaColor maps were tried to be shown in the viewport, but this one should be fixed. It also should not be crashing in any way - if it does it is a bug and should be reported. If you have a material or scene where you can reproduce a crash I would be happy to have a look at it.
Freezing is also something that shouldn't be happening. It can, however, take quite some time to load all maps into gpu memory (which results in an inactive max window) or maybe even be problematic if you have huge amounts of maps but that's expected behavior.

The script you have linked basically does the same thing I do, just limited to Vray, Arch&Design and standard materials. So it would react the same way.

I'll see if I can somehow include a "selected only" mode without screwing up the ui too much ;) Thanks for the suggestion.
[Edit] Done, will be available in the next update.

I also tried the paint-codes script but it fails on creating CoronaMtls. It's encrypted so I cannot help.
« Last Edit: 2015-04-14, 12:23:51 by DeadClown »

2015-04-14, 16:22:23
Reply #532

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
 Hi, sorry, I was too tired\sleepy and frustrated at the time - no wonder considering the actual time when I wrote that post  and  probably explained that behaviour too vaguely.
 The CMLC is not crashing\freezing max in itself it's just that when that function is used without selection\restriction to just needed ones (accidentally or intentionally) on such a heavy scene as I described, when let's say more than 1k different textured houses (one's from google warehouse, some building generators, manual modelling etc.) are used it just fills up the gpu ram and does so often to the brink of freezing and sometimes even crashing max. On my main pc, where 4gb vram gpu is used that's just a slowdown\freeze for a minute or so, as textures fill up gpu ram to the brim (and probably want much more) yet somehow max still manages to hold up, the problem is much, much worse on one of my secondary pc's where is just 1.5gb vram gpu used - that's where things are really bad.
 Still, it is in no way CMLC's or Corona's  fault of course - it's just a general and expected max's behaviour. It just happened when I was working on that scene with all those textures hidden (actually thanks to CMLC for allowing to quickly hide all of those with single press of a button in the first place) but when I needed to adjust some district to better fit the surrounding ones, thinking cmlc does respect those selection modes, I just selected that district group, ticked the "material of selected objects' in cmlc and bam - instead of what I expected it did so for all of those present in the scene and of course I've got those nasty freezes as one could guess ))

"The script you have linked basically does the same thing I do, just limited to Vray, Arch&Design and standard materials. So it would react the same way." - yeah basically yes but with one quite big difference for my case - it got working "selected objects only" tick which make it much more useful for such scenes, yet sadly it's not working for corona materials.

"I'll see if I can somehow include a "selected only" mode without screwing up the ui too much ;) Thanks for the suggestion.
[Edit] Done, will be available in the next update."

Cool ! thanks as always )

"I also tried the paint-codes script but it fails on creating CoronaMtls. It's encrypted so I cannot help".

- well yes not for v1.0 materials but it worked for alpha's ones - right now I just fire it up and use an eyedropper tool to copy those colours from script's window to my material. Seeing how helpful you've been for some scripters already I thought maybe, if you you've found some time, you could advise the maker on how to make it more corona friendly or something like that. Well he actually even asked for such help ))

ps: Sorry for cluttering the thread )

2015-04-15, 02:56:59
Reply #533

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi deadclown,

As you know I've emailed for some guidence on writing my script. I've got a show diffuse toggle problem when the bitmap is part of a Composite Map in the diffuse slot. I've notice your script also has the same problem. I've yet to find a way around this yet. Just to let you know.

2015-04-15, 10:01:20
Reply #534

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Well I think there is no solution ;) You can either exclude composite maps or simply take a random submap.. but since you don't know what is a "representative" map for the whole composite you won't know which one is the best choice.

2015-04-15, 17:20:35
Reply #535

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah I'll try that, if my skills allow it! ;)

2015-04-16, 22:40:44
Reply #536

Stan_But

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/archdizs
Hi, Martin!

>>> SCENE Info: <<<
Corona version: 1.00 DailyBuild Apr 16 2015, build timestamp: Apr 16 2015 00:33:20
Converter version: 1.06
Installed Vray plugins: V_Ray_RT_3_10_03  V_Ray_DEMO_3_10_03 
# Material conversion took 0.063 seconds
# Iterations: 4, converted: 0
# Map conversion took 0.043 seconds
# Iterations: 164, converted: 0
# Light conversion took 0.035 seconds
# Iterations: 13

Error occured in Autodesk_Material : Solid Glass:Autodesk_Material
-- Unknown property: "Generic_Color" in undefined

Error occured in Autodesk_Material : Ceramic:Autodesk_Material

Error occured in Autodesk_Material : Wall Paint:Autodesk_Material

Error occured in Autodesk_Material : Metal:Autodesk_Material

2015-04-17, 13:05:47
Reply #537

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Would you mind making me a simple scene with those 4 materials? I don't get any errors here with the default Ceramic/WallPaint/Metal shaders =/

Those Autodesk materials are slowly driving me CRAZY! I've made more blind fixing attempts for those suckers than for all other materials combined O_o

2015-04-17, 15:43:43
Reply #538

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be

2015-04-17, 16:12:37
Reply #539

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks

The point is that Autodesk materials are badly designed and have a really weird way handling properties. I'm using an internal function to convert all the thousands of submaterial classes into a generic autodesk material - which leaves just 1 material to be converted with clearly defined properties, at least that's how it should be (I guess those people do the same thing).
The question now is: why does the generic material not have this "Generic_Color" property? That's like a Vray material that is randomly missing the diffuse color parameter - just for fun.

Sure, people can buy this autodesk material converter if they want to (and it's absolutely fine to do that if you want the quality). But I do a converter for all the people who don't want to spend 60 euros for converting just some few autodesk materials (Donations will be accepted :D ).
What I need are sample scenes with a lot of those materials since I don't have any other than my own generated default ones via maxscript - so debugging is really problematic for me.
« Last Edit: 2015-04-17, 16:19:04 by DeadClown »