Author Topic: FIX THE CHAOS MAC ISSUES PLEASE  (Read 2657 times)

2022-11-22, 20:24:09
Reply #15

Oxocan London

• Active Users
  • www.oxocan.com
    • View Profile
    • www.oxocan.com
Hi John,

Yes, I am starting to seriously think about switching to a Professional Threadripper. Although we are a wellness brand, not a Media company, we still use C4D to render our products and content. The mac is starting to have a negative impact on our production times.

May I ask, what system are you using for your C4D workflow? Thank you in advance.

Ian
Ian
Oxocan London

2022-11-22, 23:12:11
Reply #16

johnnyswedish

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Ian,

I work as a freelance 3D designer and bought a Gigabyte Aero 17 maxed out with 64GB ram, Intel Core i9 10th Gen and Nvidia RTX2080 Studio. I bought this just before lock-down because I thought I'd be working on site but not been in a studio since then. I paid £4.800 for it then and did a test on a insane project. Team rendered on my i7 27" iMac with 32GB and my Macbook Pro with 16GB, took 5.5h and then on my PC Laptop... 26min. To be honest, I wish I'd spent that money on a desktop... would have got a BEAST! Yes, Ian, Threadrippers seem to be the way forward, quite a few friends of mine have them. How much are you thinking of spending? I could ask some advice for you. Anyway, hope this has been helpful and feel free to contact me if you have any more questions, have a good evening :-) John

2022-11-23, 00:51:19
Reply #17

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Different topic but you can not compare a 64Gb ram i9 with a 32Gb i7 or a 16Gb MacBook. If CR has to swap memory the whole process goes in to slow motion. I have a Mac Studio 128Gb with 20 cores and it's fast. Really fast at modelling too. We have a fast PC here as well (16 core, 64Gb ram) but its hardly any faster with CR and a lot more noisy.

But I do see Apple loosing terrain in everything 3D. At my office we are big apple fans but even though one after the other is going PC, cheaper, faster and most important, no longer stuck to a ever smaller toolset in terms of available software. No Octane, Redshift, Unreal etc. Coronarender & C4D are basically the only proper tools under OSX in Archviz. Luckily great tools but I feel very locked in and more and more missing out on al the new incredible things happening in real time rendering.

2022-11-23, 09:44:26
Reply #18

Oxocan London

• Active Users
  • www.oxocan.com
    • View Profile
    • www.oxocan.com
Absolutely agree with you FVR. Yes, Macs are absolutely fantastic and I've been a Mac user since 2001. Although I love the ecosystem and workflow, I need a beast of a machine and even the best of Macs cannot compare to a 64/128 threadripper and two RTX 4090s combined. Additionally, PCs have much more versatility with 3D workflows. Every time I speak to a professional 3D artist they tell me to get a threadripper if I have any passion for 3D workflows. Anyways, let's sit tight til March 2023 and see what Apple has to offer on the Macpro desktop category.

If they offer a similar to that of the studio pro lineup in terms of performance, I am definitely switching to a PC! Anyways, have a great day guys and let's hope that Chaos fixes their browser issues!!! My Chaos browser did not work for 2 months, and after Stephan did a great job fixing it yesterday, this morning my mac has the same issues again of not being able to see the Chaos Browser. All I see is a white box. I did the uninstall/install of the browser and the issue is still there. Something happens when I restart my mac. I am completely giving up on Corona and Chaos until they get these issues sorted.
Ian
Oxocan London

2022-11-23, 11:46:14
Reply #19

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Switching to a PC is a matter of when not if.

But in my case after Chaos gave me great support and fixed exactly the same issue  I got stuck again the next day.  I then did a complete reinstall with all the lastest builds and from then on my problems where gone. So I deleted C4D and CR from my drive and did a clean (re)install. After that I never had these problems again. I have CR running on 3 different Mac's so I knew for sure that it should work. Only my new Mac Studio had these problems. Not any more though.