Author Topic: Trying to reduce RAM usage  (Read 15566 times)

2019-08-28, 17:19:17

steverb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have a 20 second animation that uses a high resolution video for a texture. Every time I do a render it goes for about 150-200 frames and then stops due to insufficient RAM (See error message below). Often it's not just Cinema 4D that crashes but my entire machine locks up. I'm on a 2013 Mac Pro, 32BG RAM and r19. I realize I may be pushing my luck here, but are there any render settings I can adjust that would reduce the amount of RAM needed to render my scene? I have tried checking "Conserve memory (slower)" under Performance Settings but I still run out of RAM.

Thanks for any help.

===== Warning(10004) =====
System is running low on RAM. You may experience excessive parsing times and/or crashes. You will probably have to simplify the scene.

4 GB of physical RAM used by Cinema 4D
26.1 GB of virtualized* RAM used by Cinema 4D
32.8 GB of virtualized* RAM used by all running applications
32 GB of physical RAM installed on system
33 GB of virtualized* RAM provided by OS

* virtualized RAM means physical RAM + swap file on HDD/SSD

Corona RAM usage breakdown:
  197.8 MB beauty/multi-pass

2019-08-28, 17:29:48
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The best tips are all at https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000675854-system-is-running-low-on-ram-you-may-experience-excessive-parsing-times-and-or-crashes-you-will-pro

Also consider switching off other apps so that nothing else is running, and is it possible to downscale the video at all so it isn't high res? Unless it's filling the screen at the same video resolution, it wouldn't need to be full size.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-08-28, 17:36:20
Reply #2

steverb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check out those tips and see what I can do. Thanks.

2019-08-28, 20:07:57
Reply #3

ficdogg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is your video plugged in as a video format(mp4 etc) or an image sequence?
An image sequence might work better because it won't need to load the entire video file for every frame.

2019-08-28, 21:44:50
Reply #4

steverb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's an MP4. I didn't realize you could do a texture with an image sequence. I'll have to give that a try.

2019-08-28, 21:52:05
Reply #5

steverb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, that doesn't seem to work. I'm unable to load an image sequence. Is there a way to do that?

2019-08-28, 21:55:27
Reply #6

steverb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I guess I take that back. I just needed to place all the images in a "tex" folder. They had been in another folder with another name. Thanks.

2019-08-28, 21:57:51
Reply #7

steverb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Actually it seems the images just need to be in a folder right next to the .c4d file regardless of the name. Hope it works.

2019-08-29, 00:44:11
Reply #8

ficdogg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't think that matters much, where they are. I usually just have them in a folder somewhere with nothing else in it. The main thing is to click on the texture in the material slot, then in the animation tab click on calculate so that it loads the whole sequence rather than just the first frame, then play with the range setting to get the timing right.
If you're using a regular c4d material, you can have the animation previewing in the viewport, if you're using a corona material, I don't think it will show in IR but it will render fine.

2019-08-29, 11:16:29
Reply #9

zbieraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you have something in the scene that can be turned into proxy, do so. Proxy will dramatically reduce amount of RAM used.

2019-08-29, 11:35:06
Reply #10

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Proxy will dramatically reduce amount of RAM used.

That is not true. Proxy will only reduce scene file size and improve viewport navigation, but RAM usage will stay the same if not a little bit higher.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-08-29, 15:45:52
Reply #11

steverb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for all the advice. It looks like using image sequences did the trick for me. I rendered 1047 frames overnight and had no problems.

2019-08-30, 08:53:03
Reply #12

zbieraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile

That is not true. Proxy will only reduce scene file size and improve viewport navigation, but RAM usage will stay the same if not a little bit higher.

Really? I have seen a drop in RAM usage when rendering through the proxies... I will be rendering something with them in next few days - I will look closely to the results, maybe I am really wrong...

2019-09-01, 16:58:48
Reply #13

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's because the open scene is lighter.
Render it via CLI to see real render consumption (keep C4D closed - don't open the scene)