Author Topic: CoronaLights "prevent black appearance" ignored if behind a refractive material.  (Read 4840 times)

2017-06-19, 00:19:06

matsu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am lighting an interior with CoronaLights. The lights have directionality and I have the "prevent black appearance" checked. Directionality set to 0.5.

Camera is placed outside of the building. There are glass windows between the lights and the camera.

If I render the scene with the glass in place (that is in front of the lights) they turn black, i.e. the effect is ignored. If I hide the glass, the effect is working properly.

Surely, this can't be intended?

2017-06-19, 16:19:19
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Currently the "prevent black appearance" option only works for direct visibility, so black lights will be still visible in reflections and refraction. Hopefully this will be soon improved.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-06-20, 04:20:06
Reply #2

matsu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Alright. Good to know that you know. Hoping for a fix in the near future. :)

2018-04-13, 17:17:16
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Just an update on this:
Currently this is expected (lights may still appear as black when seen in reflections or refractions).
We would like to fix it, however it will require a lot of work and caution not to break something else.

There is a workaround for this (using Corona Light Mtl instead of light objects):
-use the rayswitch material: standard light mtl should be used for GI, and light mtl with "emit light" option off should be used for direct visibility, reflections, and refraction.

2019-06-27, 14:54:58
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
(internal id=223075528)

2023-06-10, 20:31:07
Reply #5

LukaK

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Any news regarding this issue, will this be fixed in ver.10 ?  It's a real annoyance not to be able to see lights in reflections, especially mirrors :/

2023-06-12, 13:24:10
Reply #6

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Nothing yet, it is a very complex issue to fix. If it were in 10, it would have been in the changelogs for the daily builds and release candidates (as well as on the trello board).
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2023-06-12, 16:30:58
Reply #7

LukaK

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Okay, hope this will get solved sooner then later :)