Author Topic: Material Preview Brightness?  (Read 4614 times)

2017-06-10, 02:40:48

matsu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As of late, I've been a bit bothered by my material preview's brightness. I do not remember having these issues prior to 1.6, but I could be wrong.
In any case, my problem is that bright materials look burned out easily. The material in the attachments is a material without reflection, and the diffuse value set to RGB 180. The second attachment has a Threshold of 255 applied in PS to show which pixels are completely white.
Max's gamma set to 2.2 (+ affect mat editor).

I'd like a "VFB exposure settings apply to mat editor"-button, or something. Or maybe I'm just missing something here...

2017-06-10, 03:29:56
Reply #1

denisgo22

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As of late, I've been a bit bothered by my material preview's brightness. I do not remember having these issues prior to 1.6, but I could be wrong.
In any case, my problem is that bright materials look burned out easily. The material in the attachments is a material without reflection, and the diffuse value set to RGB 180. The second attachment has a Threshold of 255 applied in PS to show which pixels are completely white.
Max's gamma set to 2.2 (+ affect mat editor).

I'd like a "VFB exposure settings apply to mat editor"-button, or something. Or maybe I'm just missing something here...
+1 i Agree///
It seems to me that in previous versions of Corona it's been more correct///
Or may be this because max versions///
Brightness of all materials in mat editor does not match to  rendering brightness material in VFB with default settings //

2017-06-12, 16:40:25
Reply #2

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Solution
float mtlEditor.lightsSize = 1.5

The CoronaLight in the MEdit will be bigger = more Areashadows = less burned  spot

2017-06-12, 17:11:42
Reply #3

Jadefox

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Renderlab
I've kinda asked a similar question before but cant there be an option where your material preview's light, could be the exact light you have in the scene.
This would make material creation a breeze as everything can happen in the editor and you have a much more accurate idea as to the look of the material
in the current scene

2017-06-12, 17:54:42
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I've kinda asked a similar question before but cant there be an option where your material preview's light, could be the exact light you have in the scene.
This would make material creation a breeze as everything can happen in the editor and you have a much more accurate idea as to the look of the material
in the current scene

How would that even work ?

Let's say I have Sun&sky system, but I am rendering interior. The material editor will be Sun&Sky ? Or resulting studio probe from interior ?

If I have camera/framebuffer exposure compensated to lit interior, the material editor would be ultra bright, since the difference between outside Sun&Sky and my interior will be huge, up to 6 EVs.

The material's look in scene is always result of actual position in geometry affected by surrounding light at that point. Your idea would require to bake that point into a probe that would be used as HDRi in way probes are used for local reflection in real-time engines.

Imho solution is just to use custom hdri inside mat editor to define whatever base look you prefer for look development.
« Last Edit: 2017-06-12, 17:58:08 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-06-12, 19:33:10
Reply #5

Jadefox

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Renderlab
I see now.. Yes it cant work in the way i would have liked : )

Thanks Juraj

2017-06-13, 15:14:59
Reply #6

matsu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In general, I like how the mat editor preview "scene" looks. I would just like a an EV slider, to adjust the brightness. Or possibly a light lister of sorts. Changing the color of the mat editor lights would also be very useful.

2017-06-14, 14:15:10
Reply #7

matsu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Looked into Cecofuli's solution, and found an old post by Ondra.

Now using
float mtlEditor.lightsIntensity = 0.75
float mtlEditor.lightsSize = 1.25

and it's working pretty well. :)

2017-06-14, 14:51:24
Reply #8

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Something definitely changed from 1.5>1.6 (or maybe 1.4>1.6, can't be sure). It's quite off-putting with the current matedit overexposure. Is there a reason this was changed? Can we not have it back as it was?
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2017-06-14, 15:43:42
Reply #9

DarcTheo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
also noticed the material preview blowing out a lot more, I'm not sure when this happened but I don't remember it being like this.

I might try that bit of script to reduce the intensity.

2017-09-08, 17:01:16
Reply #10

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile