Author Topic: HDR Lighting  (Read 25495 times)

2014-09-05, 05:28:16

NikSN

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'ev recently downloaded the public build of corona for C4D and I have to say I'm extremely impressed! It's fantastic and thank you to the developers for working on this. I've been looking at 3DS Max tutorials to try and figure how it works, but there is one thing I just can't figure out how to do in Cinema 4D: HDR Lighting. Does anyone know the proper way to set up HDR Lighting in C4D Corona? I imagine I'm just missing something very simple.

2014-09-05, 05:33:29
Reply #1

pBarrelas

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm also happy with the type of results I'm getting so far, although I only tested some clay renders. I didn't had the time to test HDRI lighting yet but did you tried the default C4D method?

2014-09-05, 06:58:07
Reply #2

NikSN

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, by default method do you mean just a luminance texture on a sky object? I tried that and it didn't seem to work for me, but I might have screwed up somewhere.

2014-09-05, 07:58:28
Reply #3

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
You can check my iPhone render in the gallery (C4D Corona).. I have used HDR lightning only.

I have set it up like I would do normally. Create Sky object, create Corona Material. In Corona Material assign HDR map to diffuse slot and make sure it is a spherical projection. Apply the map to Sky object. Tweak Exposure or Offset of the bitmap as you need.

I am not sure that this is the right way to do it, but it works :)

I have also tried with Emission slot instead of diffuse, in corona material, but it doesn't work. Neither it works with standard c4d material and luminance channel.

Maybe we can get some official answers here.
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn

2014-09-05, 10:42:53
Reply #4

pBarrelas

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have also tried with Emission slot instead of diffuse, in corona material, but it doesn't work. Neither it works with standard c4d material and luminance channel.

The way you light a scene using an HDRI, using standard materials is through the Luminance channel, not the diffuse.
Apparently in Corona materials is through the Diffuse channel. Thanks for sharing your experience.

2014-09-05, 10:47:05
Reply #5

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio

The way you light a scene using an HDRI, using standard materials is through the Luminance channel, not the diffuse.
Apparently in Corona materials is through the Diffuse channel. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Yeah sorry, I made an error with the first sentence. What I actually meant with "default way" was the part that I marked in bold.

Anytime :)
Regards, Tom

2014-09-05, 14:38:18
Reply #6

NikSN

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks so much for the help :)

2014-09-05, 14:41:24
Reply #7

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Thanks so much for the help :)

You are very welcome :)

2014-09-09, 20:44:50
Reply #8

hanuman007

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hdri still doesnt work for me... so sould i use Sky object from corona? with Corona Material - in this material I should set up luminanance with hdr map? or could you post some simple sample test scene? it will be the best I think

NOTE: Sorry now I find this topic with sample scene and its clear ( https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,5141.0.html )

corona mat in classic cinema sky... and hdri in diffuse slot
« Last Edit: 2014-09-09, 21:15:31 by hanuman007 »

2014-09-09, 21:11:47
Reply #9

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
hdri still doesnt work for me... so sould i use Sky object from corona? with Corona Material - in this material I should set up luminanance with hdr map? or could you post some simple sample test scene? it will be the best I think

Corona sky with corona material, and in corona material's diffuse channel use hdr.

2014-10-03, 17:50:26
Reply #10

fla

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

any experience with adjusting rotation of HDR map on sky object? I've tried rotating the whole sky object + rotating only the texture, neither works. Shadows stay orientated in the same directions no matter what I do.

thanks
matej

2014-10-03, 20:47:10
Reply #11

mp5gosu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Rotating the sky object works for me.

2014-10-03, 23:29:56
Reply #12

fla

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Are you sure?
I have a simple interior scene and there is no change when I rotate it....hmm.

Another thing: in vRay you would adjust gamma if you'd like sharper shadows when using HDRi. Do you use c4d "Filter" in order to adjust the gamma or do you get sharper shadows in another way? Actually there seems to be a setting in Luminance channel in Corona material .. .but I'm not sure if I should use Luminance channel at all, as some of you suggest ?

thanks
matej

2014-10-04, 00:18:47
Reply #13

mp5gosu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, maybe the 1.1 did some changes to the sky handling couldn't test it yet.
Sharp shadows: Adjusting the color profile is a dirty hack which leads to false results. Try using either high quality HDRIs or use light sources synced to light areas.

Last but not least: It doesn't matter whether you use luminance or diffuse channel. If there's no texture in the luminance channel or it is deactivated, diffuse' channel texture will be used for sky lighting. However, for better workflow reasons you should stick to luminance, as it is more logical.

2014-10-04, 08:37:28
Reply #14

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Last but not least: It doesn't matter whether you use luminance or diffuse channel. If there's no texture in the luminance channel or it is deactivated, diffuse' channel texture will be used for sky lighting. However, for better workflow reasons you should stick to luminance, as it is more logical.

As far as I know, Corona material in c4d doesn't work with HDR in luminance channel - only diffuse. Might've changed in 1.1...