Author Topic: CoronaPattern playground!  (Read 42386 times)

2022-08-22, 19:59:22
Reply #90

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Sorry, i didn't save the file, but it's very simple - you just make sure that your pattern sample object can tile seamlessly and the rest is taken care by Corona Pattern modifier. I think everything is quite self-explanatory, but you can read this article on Chaos help portal first: https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/7713194687633-Corona-Pattern-Modifier-3ds-Max
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-08-23, 11:30:03
Reply #91

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks so much mate.  But in terms of actually applying it as a coronapatternmod - how do you do it to ensure its the same size? (ie the hole is 8mm).

If the base object has correct real world mapping, e.g. has UVW map modifier with planar, or box mapping and activated real-world size option, then there's a nice trick that you can use - enter 1/crop box size X as tiling U and 1/crop box size Y as tiling V in Corona pattern modifier and your pattern will have correct real world size. Pro tip: you can click in any 3ds max numerical field and then press ctrl+N to summon simple calculator to aid you with simple equations - very useful in situations like this ;)

Amazing, thanks Romullus! Well that gives me hope its a quick job for the devs to automate this with a checkbox for the final version. Fingers crossed!

2022-08-23, 14:34:50
Reply #92

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Actually you can easily automate it by yourself - it's just a couple minutes job. Of course it would be nice to have officially implemented one-click solution - i'm pretty sure this will happen sooner rather than later :)

2022-08-24, 02:58:46
Reply #93

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Brilliant my friend.... Brilliant :)

Actually you can easily automate it by yourself - it's just a couple minutes job. Of course it would be nice to have officially implemented one-click solution - i'm pretty sure this will happen sooner rather than later :)

2022-08-24, 10:02:21
Reply #94

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Tremendous. Thanks

2022-08-24, 11:32:01
Reply #95

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You're welcome! I didn't test if copying modifier will keep its wiring intact, but if it does, then you can save wired Pattern to the file and keep it somewhere close, then every time you'll need real-world coordinates in Corona Pattern, just merge that file in your current scene and copy paste the pattern modifier to your objects. Easy peasy :]

2022-08-24, 13:14:18
Reply #96

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
anotehr request for this is if it could add a 'capping' function for items with thickness

2022-08-24, 18:15:13
Reply #97

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
anotehr request for this is if it could add a 'capping' function for items with thickness

This one is already logged. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-08-25, 01:27:07
Reply #98

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
cheers thanks.  another request if i may, is when you use round edges this is what happens - is there a workaround for this?

2022-08-25, 04:42:06
Reply #99

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
cheers thanks.  another request if i may, is when you use round edges this is what happens - is there a workaround for this?

Using chamfer instead?

2022-08-25, 05:33:57
Reply #100

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It does the same thing doesnt it?  Around the perimeter of the base object

Using chamfer instead?

2022-08-25, 10:08:28
Reply #101

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Obviously, with the chamfer you can precisely control what edges you want to have bevel and what don't.

2022-09-02, 14:12:07
Reply #102

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Update and also we need some further clarification from you!
Please note: things like "we will consider this" are not in any way a guarantee that it will make it to V9 or there is any specific date we can expect it. It's just on our devs' todo.

--------- here is where we need some help / clarification ---------

Improve the way Corona Pattern segments connect with each other ("weld seams") to prevent visible seams
This would be technically very hard to do. We can consider this if we receive multiple requests with reasonable use cases.

it's nice that we have an option to choose UVWs between pattern and base objects, but sometimes (quite often) i want to have both. Maybe good solution would be to have dedicated surface map, like Chaos Scatter has, which would let to get base object's colours without sacrificing pattern object's UVs. In fact both, the Scatter and The Pattern could share the same map
just once again faced with such a need, after all, when you make carpets or fabric, it is very important to be able to impose, say, a print on top of the finished product, while maintaining the texture coordinates for individual fibers on the pattern itself
so +1 for this feature
@Marchik + @Romullus + anyone else who would like this - Could you please describe the exact use case for this? I think we do understand what is being requested, but we do not understand why.

Randomization per pattern node in Multimap and UVW Randomize
@Marchik + anyone who finds this useful - can you explain in what exact scenario you would use this?
Let's say that we are making a pattern (repeating some geometry tile). If we use the Multimap or UVW Randomizer, this will affect each tile creating visible color/texturing differences between each tile. How is this useful? (in what practical cases) Otherwise, we can use the Mesh Element randomization to have a different color of each tile part (e.g. one carpet strand in case of scattering a tile consisting of many strands).

random offset is nice, but it has big drawback - it makes seams by not respecting pattern boundaries. I would love to have an option to distort pattern with map, or with in-built noise, that would preserve pattern boundaries. It would be basically the same as distorting base object's UVs, but on much finer level.
@Romullus - can you explain what exactly you meant here?

Ability to use whole groups/hierarchies as the pattern node
@Romullus + Others - We need a better example here to understand why it is needed. The workaround is to collapse the group/hierarchy into a single mesh. If anyone desperately needs this feature, please explain why, and why collapsing the object into one is not good enough.

Scaling Corona Pattern tiles individually so that they could overlap with each other / Offset and scaling randomization in CPattern
We believe his is a better job for Scatter. If you have some specific example where you would like to use this with CPattern, please share it here.

--------- the fate of other reports ---------

Rotate CPattern without having to adjust base object UVWs
- We will consider adding rotation / random rotation to each CPattern tile. Adjusting the UVWs must be done for the base object so we can only recommend applying UVW modifiers (e.g. UVW XForm and changing the overall rotation).

Corona Pattern - "Fit in custom object space" option for the Crop Box
- We will consider this, the idea is generally making the crop box adjustments easier.

Randomize the rotation of CPattern tiles
- Will be considered.

Automatic capping of the pattern geometry
- We will consider this.

An option for the CPattern crop box to always remain visible in viewport
- We will consider this.

Better indication of the pattern offset in the gizmo/helper
- We will consider this.

Ability to project CDecal on top of CPattern with "use pattern material" option enabled
- This is being fixed right now.

Some issues with IR updates
- This is being fixed right now.

Pattern changing in some cases when the pattern node object is moved/rotated/scaled
- We will attempt to fix this.

Right-click menu for pattern node selection
- Will be added.

Ability to use more than 1 pattern node
- This is not in the current scope of CPattern.

Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-09-02, 16:00:31
Reply #103

BardhylM

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
I don't know how viable is having multiple objects as patterns selected, and maybe is complicated to code, but i thought of a use (one of many) we might benefit.
If we would make a plane, map it correctly, and distribute behind windows on large objects, then we could model few rooms and attach different elements as one object.
We could use those many objects as different rooms with the option of CoronaPattern to randomly project those on the planes, and in combination with multimap we would have as many variations as we wanted.
This would be similar to the Parallax mapping of the interiors, only with more control and better. Tried a crude version of it with a simple room (one object only) and it worked quite well as a concept, and as far as I could gather it does not load the scene too much.

Just a thought, maybe a plan in the future versions of Corona!

2022-09-02, 23:36:45
Reply #104

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
it's nice that we have an option to choose UVWs between pattern and base objects, but sometimes (quite often) i want to have both. Maybe good solution would be to have dedicated surface map, like Chaos Scatter has, which would let to get base object's colours without sacrificing pattern object's UVs. In fact both, the Scatter and The Pattern could share the same map
just once again faced with such a need, after all, when you make carpets or fabric, it is very important to be able to impose, say, a print on top of the finished product, while maintaining the texture coordinates for individual fibers on the pattern itself
so +1 for this feature
@Marchik + @Romullus + anyone else who would like this - Could you please describe the exact use case for this? I think we do understand what is being requested, but we do not understand why.

I tried to see if i can achieve what i want in some other ways and found that indeed by using already existing tools like Corona AO and distance i can cover most of my needs and when you'll fix decals not fully working with the pattern, it'll be almost perfect. I'm withdrawing my request.

Ability to use whole groups/hierarchies as the pattern node
@Romullus + Others - We need a better example here to understand why it is needed. The workaround is to collapse the group/hierarchy into a single mesh. If anyone desperately needs this feature, please explain why, and why collapsing the object into one is not good enough.

That's an easy one - when you collapse group to a single mesh, you basically lose most of its editability. Of course, you can always keep uncollapsed copy which you can edit when needed and then collapse and update the pattern, but that's not very convenient.

random offset is nice, but it has big drawback - it makes seams by not respecting pattern boundaries. I would love to have an option to distort pattern with map, or with in-built noise, that would preserve pattern boundaries. It would be basically the same as distorting base object's UVs, but on much finer level.
@Romullus - can you explain what exactly you meant here?

Bizarrely i can't remember what and why exactly i was requesting there. I see if i can recall it in the next few days and update you on this. Sorry :]